Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / D1.2 PQR
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-26-2015 14:41
We are preparing to establish a WPS for some 6061 T6 fillet welds conforming to D1.2.  Read through the requirements for this in the code and test plates are called out as 6" wide X 12" long.  Thickness is permitted to be reduced to production weld values, our greatest thickness will be a 3/8" to 1/4' fillet and I want to do the PQR on a 3/8" to 3/8" plate weldment.  This is the question:  I already have the 3/8" X 5" stock that will be used for the base plates.  Is there a good reason the PQR could not be qualified using this material?  D1.1 states a 3/8" X 6" plate be used.  Trying to understand the necessity for using 3/8" X 6" instead of the 5" wide stock already purchased.  I understand the straightforward answer is because that's what the code calls out.  Beyond that- is there a more specific reason for the callout?  I am guessing the larger 6" material might provide more of a heat sink and therefor more of a challenge to fusion?  On the other hand the larger size material give more leverage for the fracture test and I would think that would put less stress on the weld and therefore make it easier to pass?  Anyone's thoughts?
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-27-2015 05:17
Anyone able to respond to this?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-27-2015 06:10
Saw your post, outside of my comfort zone so left it alone.

Surprised one of the others haven't responded but they may be pretty busy being the first work day after a 3 day weekend. 

Hope you have a little more time you can give them.  Wish I could help.  Don't even have my D1.2 available as it is in storage until our move is complete.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-27-2015 12:38
Consider doing option 2, (Figure 3.19). 2 plates, 3/8 thick, 7 inches long and 3 inches wide, with backing bar(3/8 x 2), 15/16 gap on the square butt joint

3.15.4 says to look at Table 3.6 (fillet)
Table 3.6 says you have 2 options, and one of them is the above 3.19
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-27-2015 14:34
Thanks gentlemen.  I'll take another look at that Fred.  Would prefer to just qualify the fillets with macros and fracture but worth reconsidering.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-27-2015 14:36
if just macros and fracture... How to you record the required mechanicals ?
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-27-2015 09:55
I can't see 1" making any difference.  It's probably to make everyone's PQRs consistent.

If you get pre-approval from the Customer, you should be good to go.

Tyrone
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-27-2015 19:30
Qualify the fillet weld to establish the welding parameters. Use those parameters to weld the plate assembly needed to demonstrate the mechanical properties can be produced. Use the two PQRs to develop the WPS to be used for production. Done deal.

Al
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-27-2015 20:18
Well I'm confused again [as usual].  My understanding has been, if I am only qualifying a fillet weld then I am only required to do a PQR for a fillet weld and qualifying a fillet weld is accomplished by acceptance of the fillet weld per figure 3.17 after passing  visual, macro and fracture testing.  Am I just confused or am I mistaken or both?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-27-2015 21:02
It's amazingly clear compared to D1.1 Fillet PQR's   (not that amazingly clear is all that clear :)  )

3.5.2.1 Tension tests for strength of groove welds shall be required for WPS qualification.

3.5.2.4 refers only to "soundness"

If the mechanicals (meaning tensiles and bends) are required for a PQR than a groove weld must be done right?

Are tensile loads and ultimate stress only required when groove welds are being produced ?    That's the big question .... Sort of an assumption sort of backed by clause 3.5.2.1

Al will say more and help us both out.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-27-2015 21:18
Consider why one would need to qualify a WPS by testing. One would need to qualify a WPS to demonstrate the process, filler metal, base metal, and technique would result in a weld that produces the mechanical properties required by the application and or the applicable code. Those mechanical properties include:

1) soundness,
2) tensile strength,
3) ductility,
4) yield strength,
5) toughness,
6) hardness,
7) corrosion resistance,
8) any other property needed to meet the performance requirements of the application.

Typically, a welding code only requires soundness,, ductility, and tensile strength. Only one of those properties is demonstrated by welding a T-joint using a fillet weld that is sectioned and macroetched for visual examination. Thus a grooved plate assembly is required to verify the tensile strength and ductility requirements are met.

When I say ductility, I consider the guided bend test as verifying ductility since the codes base the diameter of the bend mandrel on the elongation properties of the base metal. As such, the standard 1 1/2 diameter bend mandrel used to evaluate a 3/8 inch thick test specimen requires the specimen to elongate 20% without revealing any unacceptable defects. Various other alloy systems, i.e., aluminum and others that do not exhibit ductility equivalent to plain carbon steel require larger bend diameters due to the reduced elongation (a measure of ductility). Consider if you will the bend diameter required by AWS D1.1 for high strength low alloy steels having yield strengths greater than 50 ksi or 90 ksi.  Higher strength with higher hardness results with lower ductility, thus larger bend diameters.

Codes such as AWS, ASME, and military welding standards base the diameter of the guided bend test mandrel on the thickness and elongation properties of the alloy being evaluated.

If you pay very close attention to the requirements of D1.2, you will see that there is more to qualifying the WPS for fillet weld than simply welding a T-joint specimen. Paying close attention to clause 3.5, it would appear (to me) that a groove weld is required to assess the tensile strength. Now, let's face it, using any code is like trying to follow a bouncing football across the back yard. So, following the bouncing ball, go to clause 3.12, "The WPS qualification tests required in Part C are devised to determine the strength and degree of soundness of welds made by a specific WPS." The key word is "strength". Key because one would have to weld a grooved test assemble that can be tensile tested to determine the strength of the welded assembly.

Any variable that affects the strength of the welded joint requires a new PQR. So, it makes sense that a change in the base metal or filler metal requires another PQR if the change affects the strength of the welded joint. Hence, the base metals are grouped and the filler metals are grouped to reduce the number of PQRs needed. A change in the base metal group or the filler metal group requires the WPS to be qualified by testing.   

While AWS D1.2 is more explicit in its requirements, I follow the logic, it makes sense. That same logic can be applied to other structural welding codes. That logic encompasses the reason why and how a WPS is qualified. You qualify the WPS to demonstrate the mechanical properties can be developed. The mechanical property "strength" requires a tensile test. The tensile test requires a grooved test assembly (either pipe or plate assembly). That's why I have stated in a number of posts that a grooved test assembly is required when qualifying a WPS. However, the fillet welded T-joint should be used to establish the parameters needed to deposit the welds required for production, and those parameters used to weld the groove welded assembly.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-28-2015 00:14
Al,

As always a well presented argument that clearly states your reasoning.  While waiting for further responses to my inquiry I contacted the lab I've been considering having do the testing.  After describing our production needs [all fillet welds for an aluminum railing system to conform to D1.2] their representative took the position macros and fractures were all that was needed.  Go figure.  After reading your response it feels like cheating.  Bit of a conundrum.  And yes monetary considerations play their part in the decision.  The CWI I engaged to help prepare a D1.1 down hand ER70S6 PQR and Welder Qualification [again all fillet welds] last year did macros only as well and that paperwork was accepted without question.  This is not a job [or a GC] I'd want to exceed the base requirements for.  If it was a boat hull, load bearing structure or similar critical application there would be no question of agreement but given it's application I might try flying lower on this one.  I will of course take a mock up section, clamp it to the shop table and take the big hammer to it until either failure or a screaming capitulation certifying its concentrated and uniform loads have been met, but that's only so I can sleep in peace at night.  I understand your perspective as an inspector would be at variance with this approach and I do hope you are not offended by it.  I will continue to examine D1.2 in support of your position.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-28-2015 00:28
I remember utilizing the hammer bend test back before the hydraulic press was invented.  We would usually count the number of strikes prior to structural collapse of the test specimen and multiply by the weight of the guy swinging the hammer then divide by the weight of the sledge being used.  That gave us a pretty close tensile and yield strength calculation upon which to hang our hats and sleep peacefully.

:evil:  :eek:  :wink:

Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2015 01:35
I like that approach. I'll keep in mind the next time we qualify welders using my favorite performance test, i.e., the trusty T-joint with a single pass fillet weld. Swing hammer, fracture weld, call in the next welder wannabe.

Al :cool:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2015 02:31 Edited 05-28-2015 02:35
Don't worry, when the failure happens, the lawyers will clarify the code for all the defendants.

In all honesty, all kidding aside, this is one issue that come up all too often. It should be addressed by the code committees. There is no reason the text should be so difficult to read and understand.

I had the requirements informally clarified a couple of years ago by one of the D1 committee members who I consider to be an expert. Paraphrased, his comment was that any welding engineer that knew anything about qualifying a WPS knows that the reason for qualifying the WPS is to determine the mechanical properties. That cannot be accomplished by the fillet test alone.

Reading the text of D1.2 seems to support that position. Reading D1.1 is more convoluted and indirect. That's unfortunate, because a lot of people are missing the reason and purpose for qualifying the WPS.

The issue is acute when welding aluminum where the choice of filler metal is a significant determinant on what mechanical properties the weld will have. The wrong combination of aluminum alloy and filler metal can have catastrophic results. The choice of filler metals is not as critical when welding one of the easily welded base metals listed by AWS D1.1 in table 3.1. The weldability issue can be significant when welding a base metal that isn't listed by D1.1. Consider a contractor that is qualifying the combination of low carbon steel to austenitic stainless steel utilizing E7018 as the filler metal. A different scenario, consider the weld made using E7018 when joining AISI 4130. Both the dissimilar weld and the 4130 can probably pass the fillet welded assembly shown in AWS D1.1. I would not care to use either combination in an application without knowing exactly what the mechanical properties are. I am not willing to bet my family's well-being on a WPS that was only qualified by a macro etched T-joint. Isn’t that exactly what one is doing when the WPS is qualified using only the macro-etch? I do not want to roll the dice and gambling with someone else’s well-being.

The project in this case is nothing more than an aluminum handrail. Is the handrail truly inconsequential? What are the ramifications if the handrail fails when it is most needed? What is the unit stress when several people apply their full weight against the rail in an emergency? Will it perform as required by the building code?

What would my defense be when I am on the witness stand and the plaintiff’s lawyer starts asking me questions? How will I respond when the lawyers asks the following, "What was the tensile strength of the welded joint when you qualified the WPS?"
"What did you do to ensure the welds met the minimum mechanical properties required by the code?"
"Do you know what the mechanical properties of the weld were?"
"Why didn't you qualify the WPS to determine what the mechanical properties were?"
"Why does one qualify a weld by testing? What is the purpose of qualifying the WPS?"

The answer is pretty clear and devastating once the weld fails. 

Just because there are people in our industry that takes short cuts, doesn't mean they are doing what is best for their employer, their customer, or the well being of the public.

I tend to think of the worst case scenario. All too often a confluence of events lead up to the worst case. I like to make sure the small part I play isn't one of the events that leads to the failure.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 05-28-2015 04:28
Well gosh Al, when you put it like that.  I don't want to seem like some scrub, corner cutting, theft of public funds, nickel and dime public works contractor.  I'll price the cost of a damn tensile if it will let YOU sleep better- after all any of us owe you that much for your contributions.  Anyone happen to know offhand the D1.2 bend radius.  Or I'll just go look it up.  But for the record I have never had any structural weld fail any test, inspection or more importantly service I ever produced.  I may not know what I'm doing, but I know what I'm doing if you take my meaning.  The absence of D1.2 pre-qualified procedures still makes no sense to me even though that discussion has been had.  6061 T6 with 4043 seems like such a done deal.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2015 12:34 Edited 05-28-2015 12:38
I don't disagree with what you are saying. My experience as an expert witness and 30 plus years as a CWI/SCWI has instilled an extra measure of conservatism. I've seen the results of things gone wrong and it is never pretty.

My very first consulting gig was to train welders how to weld aluminum because it was clear, they lacked the skills required to pass the performance test. Arriving on the site I noticed they were not using the correct filler metal for the alloy they were welding, AA 6061-T6. I asked for their PQRs and of course they were not available. They had never tested the combination, they just assumed that because the welds didn't crack while being welded, it was perfectly fine. It wasn't until they attempted to pass the bend test that things went south. Who was blamed? The welders of course.

I believe it is a common oversight made by a number of welding standards. Many standards allow the CJP grooved plate assembly to qualify the WPS for both grooves and fillets. However, in many cases, if anyone actually monitors the welding operation, welders go outside the parameters listed by the WPS (based on the parameters established for groove welds) when depositing small fillet welds or large single pass fillet welds. All too many people turn a blind eye to the situation, after all, it is only a fillet weld. In the case of ASME, the individual writing the WPS can expand the range of the welding parameters at will because they are considered to be nonessential variables unless notch toughness is invoked. However, by extending the range of the parameters, the WPS losses validity when the welder can no longer produce acceptable welds using the full ranges listed.

Just my opinion which is worth exactly what you pay for it.

By the way, I can sleep with ease regardless of what the contractor does. I get paid very well by the plaintiff when things do go bad. However, I would rather the defendant be someone I don't know. 

"But that's the way we've always done it. We never had a failure before!"

"Have you ever tested it before?"

"Well no, but ..."

Case won. Now to liquidate the corporate assets and pay the award to the plaintiff.

Best regards - Al :grin:
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-28-2015 13:13
Interestingly, in 3.5 of D1.2 it says:
"...determine the strength OR soundness of welds..."
in 3.12 it says:
"...strength AND degree of soundness of welds..."

I don't see a way that the 3 required tests listed in 3.15.2 (fillet welds), which are:
Visual examination
Macroetch
Fracture or root bend test

can be used to determine strength.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-28-2015 15:34
Al,
I disagree:eek::sad::red:
Now to liquidate the corporate assets
every company I do or have done business with
has been bonded and insured
just my MBA showing it's face (yes flux, Kent is counting beans again:wink:)
so it is the insurance company paying off or the bond
not that with mine and the little woman's health I do much business now:sad:
just my thoughts
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-28-2015 15:49
Kent,

As an 'S' Corp and having very little actual corporate knowledge, I believe there is a point that, depending upon the judgment by the courts and the established motives, willfulness of the actions, and damages done, the courts can "pierce the corporate veil" and take all assets to settle the claim and pay damages.  This includes taking of personal property and tools for making a living.  They can and have taken all.  And there is a point where they can go beyond insurances and bonding and corporate and personal and strap your income for years to come. 

Basing this upon some information from the lawyers when we incorporated and established a personal trust and got licensed and bonded and insured to do business.  They warned us that it was not a 'license' to do anything without consequences.  They can even access the trust. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2015 16:01
I agree with your comments provided the corporation has sufficient insurance/bond coverage to cover the damages awarded by the court. My experience has been that many companies carry limited insurance coverage. When the damages exceed the insurance or bond, they are forced into receivership.

Al
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-28-2015 15:56
I am curious as to a comment made by Fred.

In D1.2, does the Option 2 test also work for PQR testing?  It is only a Performance Option in D1.1 isn't it?  The tests in D1.1 for tensiles and other strength, yield, etc testing are different.

I know, be careful about mixing codes.  I'm just trying to put his comment into the proper brain file cabinet and learn more about a code I don't deal with often and testing that normally isn't part of what I get into either from either code.  Normally I do CJP groove weld quals.  Need to look at the others more often to keep it fresh in my feeble memory.

Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2015 19:39
The short answer is yes, it is used to evaluate soundness when qualifying the WPS.

It is interesting that Option 2 isn't listed for performance qualification. However, the welder that welds the qualification assembly is qualified for welding. So, in a round about manner, Option 2 is viable. The fly in the ointment is that to qualify the WPS the grooved assembly must be welded. That being the case, why bother with Option 2?

Al
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-29-2015 11:16
Al
I guess I don't see in D1.2 where a groove weld must be performed (and presumably tensile tested) to generate a WPS for fillet welds, at least not in so many words.  There is the strength and soundness phrase, but the text describing the tests seems to allow either option 1 or 2 as a test assembly, and the listed tests (Macro, etc) as sufficient
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-29-2015 12:37 Edited 05-29-2015 12:44
Option 1 or 2 is simply for soundness.

But like I said, the code could be much more definitive on the subject and I can understand the confusion.

The rational that comforts me is that the purpose of qualifying the WPS is to determine if the mechanical properties meet the minimum code requirements. With that in mind, if one can honestly say to their client and to themselves that is achieved with the testing regiment they employ, all is fine. If they feel confident enough to put their child on that amusement ride knowing that the WPS for the fillet weld that determines whether the child lives or dies was evaluated by nothing more than a macroetch, so be it.

In the case of AWS D1.2, structural aluminum, I hang my hat on clause 3.5 and Part C, clause 3.12, both of which seem (to me) to be addressing the general requirements of WPS qualification. I believe those two clauses, when satisfied, would allow me to sit in the witness stand and honestly say I met the minimum  code requirements.

In the case of AWS D1.1, the concept of prequalification covers welds that are predictable because the weldability of the base metal is established if the requirements of clause 3 are met. In all other cases, because the outcome is not well established, because there is an uncertainty factor, qualification testing is necessary. The mechanical properties must be established by testing. While the fillet weld evaluated with a macroetch is sufficient to establish the welding parameters, it provides no information or assurance the mechanical properties have been met. Issues related  to preheat, post weld heat treatment, matching filler metal, specific technique, etc. must be established by mechanical testing.

Would any  of us feel comfortable blessing a connection consisting of a fitting welded to a member with E6013 or ER70S-3
simply because the macro of the fillet weld exhibited no cracks or porosity? Would one feel the same level of comfort if it is known  the base metals were cast iron joined to carbon steel? I believe many of us know enough about welding and metallurgy to recognize that combination is rather suspect. However, those amongst us that see no problem with qualifying a fillet weld procedure based on the results of a macroetch examination (alone) are blessing that combination and see no potential problem with that combination. I believe many of us recognize the potential problem and would agree that a tensile test is probably a good idea. Why would we then easily led to believe other base metal (that we may have little experience with) and filler metal combinations that do not meet the conditions of prequalification can be properly qualified on the basis of a macroetch test?

Aluminum, almost a metal, is not recognized as prequalified by the D1 structural code committee. As such, the mechanical properties must always be determined by testing. The macroetch examination and the guided bend tests only demonstrate soundness.

Maybe my view is clouded by the fact that I get involved with failure investigations and I am swayed toward the conservative side of the discussion. I like to believe I do my best to keep my clients safe and out of the court room. I want to be comfortable saying I did what I deem to be prudent to ensure my WPSs at least meet the minimum requirements of the applicable code and they will perform as expected by the designer and end user.  

The bottom line is that each of us should be comfortable with the belief we have done what is right for our client (employer) and the well being of the public.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-01-2015 22:29
I began this thread to determine the PQR testing requirements per D1.2 for WPS development.  My initial inquiry reflected my best understanding of the code requirements and the advice and opinion of contributing members was sought to either confirm or redirect my understanding.  The obligation for due diligence includes the responsibility to seek out expert opinion in contractual matters that require clarification.  There is also a legal recognition that reliance on expert opinion confers a delimitation of liability.  So that no one may be damaged by relying on opinion expressed in this thread or put under hardship by relying on those expressed opinions which may be incorrect, unsustainable, unfounded, without basis or unsupported by the correct administration of the code I undertook steps to seek confirmation of the opinions expressed by Mr. Moore in his responses to this thread.

In order to do that I contacted four [4] testing laboratories with both regional and national presence.  In order to maintain as un-prejudicial and unbiased assessment of my requirements I asked the following question: I am seeking to establish a WPS for a project that includes an aluminum pedestrian railing that falls under D1.2 jurisdiction.  By design all welds will be fillet welds.  What are the testing requirements for a PQR to establish a fillet weld WPS?

Every single one of the four [4] laboratories contacted and with whom I spoke directly to their supervising CWI told me the required testing for fillet weld PQR development was 1] Visual 2] Two [2] Macros 3] Fracture test or fillet weld bend test.

Since due diligence is not always the burden some make it out to be I sought additional confirmation or rebuttal by posing the same question, in the same manner, to two separate CWIs with whom I have no personal or professional relationship with beyond their capacity as consultants and experts able to provide their service in the required accomplishment of testing administration and documentation.  Both CWIs responded that the above referenced PQR testing was what the D1.2 code required.

Not completely satisfied that my responsibility had been fulfilled at the top level of code administration I contacted AWS directly and was put in touch with the technical support person for D1.2, again asking exactly the same question in exactly the same language.  His response was exactly the same as responses referenced above.

Over the weekend I reviewed D1.2, taking notes and reaching the decision my initial understanding, confirmed at every level of expert inquiry was correct notwithstanding Mr. Moore's assertions to the contrary.  Still, recognizing Mr. Moore's long earned consideration as an expert on the forum it seemed an obligation to pose Mr. Moore's assertions to the representative of AWS D1.2 technical support for either confirmation or rejection.  I re-contacted them and posed the following question:  It has been asserted by an AWS CWI of many years experience that the D1.2 code requires bends and tensiles in order to establish the mechanical properties and meet the requirements of D1.2 fillet weld PQRs in order to develop a D1.2 WPS.  Mr. Davis stated that was incorrect, reiterated his earlier statement of the above referenced testing requirements and voluntarily offered to email me his response with his permission to publish it here.

I am taking the time to write this posting in order to help clarify what I think are some misperceptions expressed in this thread.  There is a legal term called "plain" reading.  It is a doctrine which essentially says that a doctrine [law, statute, legal document] is to be read literally, that is, it is only the words of the document that can be evaluated from a legal perspective.  It holds within this doctrine that the intent of the document can only be discerned by the words it uses when read by a reasonable person, speaking the native language and where technical terms beyond common parlance are defined.  It is a centuries old doctrine from the 1600s and was first introduced to limit and prevent judges from legislating by interpretation or opinion.  The exception to the doctrine are most completely addresses in the legal term "the rule of mischief" which is in place to prevent a legal absurdity.  Wherein Mr. Moore may choose to interpret the D1.2 code as is his right in private, in order to make an affirmative assertion that his interpretation is correct it would need to pass the standard of a "plain" reading.  Having given D1.2 a "plain" reading to the best of my ability [it's actually an acquired skill and more difficult than might be imagined], and having that "plain" reading of the D1.2 code requirements for PQR testing confirmed by the highest level of code administration I feel I have satisfied my obligation to seek out clarification from expert opinion and may henceforth rely on it.

One of the associated lines of discussion during this thread has been Mr. Moore's speculative assertions of my impending and inevitable, legal, financial and moral ruin which was in due course gleefully cheered on by the sycophantic blubbering's of certain respondents.  All of which is premised of course on Mr. Moore's interpretive opinion of D1.2 and which does not concur with or find support in the consensus of experts at least as qualified to make these decisions as those  who make them on an internet forum.  The inevitable inference being that my reading of the code and planned course of action was at best a corner cutting, insufficient, self serving, slovenly avoidance of my responsibility to be measured by no less a standard than gross negligence.  My 14 year record of unblemished transparency as a contractor without a single instance of claim, defect or suit notwithstanding I think the basis for Mr. Moore's dire predictions, based as they are on an interpretation of D1.2 that does not concur with the administers of the code nor the opinion of the expert community at large may most judicially be regarded as hyperbole.  Any damage done to my reputation by the implications of Mr. Moore's assertions are easily enough dispelled by my thick hide and the stronger assertions of established expert opinion.

Approximately a year or two ago in June of 2013 or 2014 [I would need to look up the thread] when preparing to qualify a PQR for a subsequent Vertical Down ER70S6 GMAW WPS for fillet welds to be used on a steel pedestrian railing using all pre-qualified materials, and planning to use Figure 20 [I seem to recall] as our test sample to include 4 macros for qualification, all of which was confirmed as what was required by the CWI administering the testing and documentation I made a similar inquiry to the forum. That PQR, WPS and subsequent Welder Qualification Record were accepted by the EOR of that project as well as the Senior Supervisor of Fabrication for the DOT.  No guided bend test, tensile test or groove weld test was ever asked for or required.  By Mr. Moore's current assertion it might be concluded that not only had I violated the code requirements, far worse I put the public in danger with my work by not producing mechanical test samples demonstrating the strength of the welds produced.  All of the work done on that project was relentlessly inspected from shop drawings to final coatings and installation.  Because of the occasional absurdities of civic government it was at times necessary for me to employ a consulting structural engineer [for example to provide calculations which allowed us an 8" concrete post embedment rather than the 11" concrete post embedment called out in contract documents or a section modulus stating that 1 1/2" schedule 40 A500 pipe met or exceeded the 1 1/2" schedule 40 A53 called out in contract document- which it does  by 20% due to A500 chemistry].  The railing was built to IBC 2009, and while not having a copy of that standard in front of me, I recall the requirement for the railing to resist a 200 pound concentrated load at most.  The material surely would pass muster by all engineering standards.  But what of the welds made to build the railings?  The welds produced by a fillet weld WPS that did not include Mr. Moore's required mechanical testing?

As it turned out not more than 2 weeks after completion of the subcontract and final release of responsibility one of the citizens of the municipality took it upon themselves to drive their vehicle into a section of the railing at the top of a sloped, curved section that guarded a parking lot entry [there is a large senior population in this small town- it happens].  Needless to say a replacement section was going to need to be re-ordered.  When I went out to inspect and field measure I examined the welds for damage.  It was only a visual assessment but there were zero apparent fractures or weld failures just a lot of badly deformed steel pipe.  To try to finish this small and admittedly un-scientific appraisal, I felt vindicated of any doubt expressed prior to PQR development as well as the general consensus that Vertical Down welding procedures are insufficient for structural applications across the board.  In some applications [pedestrian guard rail for example where sufficient strength can be achieved and where distortion is the real element of surprise] as well as having been qualified to an AWS D1.1 Vertical Down, 5p all the way out, 6G pipe Qualification undertaken for a another contractor some years ago for use on large bore water transmission lines that was subject to root and face bends all of which passed satisfactorily.

To hopefully provide some minor amusement in this long winded scree, the good [senior] citizens of the municipality are up to there old tricks.  One of them chose to charge that railing again with her vehicle a week ago.  A road worker watched her drive right into it [it's a good 15 foot steep incline into a parking lot being guarded].  Granted, it was probably being driven slowly [she's old] and likely an economy sized vehicle [who can afford gas on Social Security] but as before, not only did the railing prevent a catastrophic occurrence [even with our calculated but reduced 8" concrete embedment's] but close examination doesn't show the slightest indication of weld fracture or failure.  Got the call from DOT for another replacement.  And I can swear in a court of law I am neither hiring theses pensioners to provide us both a supplementary source of income or that I have the least trouble sleeping in peace at night.

And Mr. Moore, you're an educated, knowledgeable and well spoken individual.  If your going to sling terms like "wannabee" or imply negligence I would ask you do so with more discretion.  The bottom line is of course you are not necessarily incorrect in your interpretation of how things should be done in a perfect world.  Socrates understood the value of consensus as do I.  But it is my obligation contractually to meet the specifications of the contract which means abiding by the applicable codes as defined by those that create them.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 06-02-2015 00:32
I've been following this post simply because several months ago, I observed a PQR weldment and performed the fracture test and macros on a fillet welded qualification test (PQR). Al had me thinking I didn't perform the correct testing. I contacted my employer who is a welding engineer and sits on the D1 commitee and he says only the soundness and macros are needed. Sorry Al, but As I see it, Yojimbo is correct.

Regards,
Carl
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-02-2015 03:27
As I said, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

If one is satisfied they are meeting the code, if you feel comfortable with the opinions you were able to acquire, and they agree with your interpretation, what more can you do? You've done your best, put forth your best effort.

Let me pull that stick from my eye and my foot from my mouth.

Myself, I'm still going to qualify the fillet, and then weld the groove assembly for tensile and bend tests. I feel comfortable with that approach and the code requirements are met.

The bottom line is you have to do what you feel is right.

You asked the question, you received several responses, it is up to you to make the final judgment based on the facts as you know them. It is no different than when I'm or anyone else is sitting on the jury deciding a defendant's fate. The evidence has to be weighed and make a decision.

If I caused you to read the code, reread the code, and study the code, then nothing was lost other than a few hours of your time.

If your feelings were hurt, I apologize. I'll buy you a coffee at FabTech this fall.  

When all is said and done, it was a great discussion. It has been a good while since the last one. I hope it isn't too long before someone initiates another good discussion.

Best regards  Al
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-02-2015 10:05
Good story and pic Jimbo.  No one can fault you for your due diligence.

I wonder if the Engineer designed it for a moving vehicle. Hmmm.

Tyrone
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / D1.2 PQR