Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Quality Assurance Manual
- - By royocold Date 06-19-2015 19:32
What is the best way of going about creating a new manual for my company to comply with AWS D1.1?

Thanks
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 06-19-2015 19:54
Hmmmm...I would have to say that when it comes to getting a company to conform to AWS D1.1, or to any code or standard for that matter, a Quality Manual is on top of the list for one of the LEAST effective tools you can use. Good luck!
Parent - - By royocold Date 06-19-2015 19:57
maybe, but it is a requirement in order to get the certification
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 06-19-2015 22:37 Edited 06-19-2015 22:39
AISC has a sample quality manual on their website, just go to the website and search sample quality manual. You will need MS word to open it.

Edit: you can edit the document and tailor it to your needs. 

Carl
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 06-19-2015 22:54
http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=17808

This should get you AISC sample manual.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-24-2015 12:07
Which "Certification" are you needing to get?

Tim
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-22-2015 22:26
A quality manual is not needed for "compliance" with D1.1 however in any organization, it can be either a useful tool for quality or a burden that is hated every time there is an audit.

Having just spent quite a few hours preparing one for the sole purpose of testing welders and now struggling with evreyone else in the organization "approving" it, I strongly suggest you do notg do this without input from purchasing, HR, production, shipping/receiving, subcontractor management etc....

Clearly define what your policies are 1st and get management to buy into them. Then develop procedures and instructions that support the policies. Implement the system and review it continuously.

If you are just looking for a "canned" manual that you can put on show during a contract review, I am not much help. I usually enjoy those when performing 3rd party inspections.

Gerald
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-19-2015 22:45
royocold,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Both AISC and AWS D1.8 have some items that need inclusion in QC for seismic related work. 

For a manual, they aren't that difficult, but, you can find them with a Google search and many of the samples available are able to be downloaded and altered.  Or, just print them out and then go over them carefully using it as a 'sample' to develop your own. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By royocold Date 06-22-2015 13:32
Thanks a lot guys
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 06-22-2015 20:33
If you're creating a quality assurance manual to comply with the AISC's Quality Management Systems certification, you can actually submit your manual to QMC and get a free review.  If any problems are found during the review of your materials, you will be notified what the problems are and allowed to fix them prior to the on-site audit.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 07-23-2015 17:01
Where does it say in D1.1 that a manual is required??

It says that WPS, are required, but I am not aware of an actual quality manual.  Now AISC does require a manual, but the OP said D 1.1.

As far as you developing a manual if you truly need it, the one piece of advice I can give is this. "say what you do, and do what you say."  I have audited many a company and waded through piles of technical jibberish in a book that "appears" very fancy and technical; to the point that no one on the shop floor or management understood what it meant, or followed it.
Make it so people can read it, understand it, and accurate, and they will use it and follow it.  If your just making it so you can say you have one, then don't waste your time or effort because during an audit it will come out and you'll be given an non conformance and end up re writing it anyway.
just my opinion.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-23-2015 17:06
I agree.  The manual needs to be user friendly.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-23-2015 18:01
Need to get Al to include the quality manual requirements in the next revision of the 'other big red book'.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-23-2015 22:56
As most jobs are more involved with AISC than they are D1.1 I would say that it still applies.  The General Notes on the Structurals will normally specify within the first couple of paragraphs the use of the applicable codes and will have IBC-2006 or 2012 and AISC called out.  Then under Steel and/or Welding as well as under Special Inspections they will call out the items that need to adhere to D1.1 and/or a Seismic code.  Welder certs, WPS's, weld quality, etc.

I say that since IBC now totally defers to AISC Chapter N on QC/QA and it is within that scope that a QC program is to be in place.  Also D1.8 when you get into Seismic applications requires a Quality Assurance Plan and a Quality Assurance Agency Written Program. 

Both the fabricator and the TPI Agency need a QC/QA program/procedure in place. 

Does D1.1 specifically require a QC Program/Manual?  No.  But, you still need one.  And it is common sense to have one as long as you heed the cautions of Chris and Scott.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Quality Assurance Manual