Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld shop supervisors
- - By dick (**) Date 07-16-2015 09:44
How to deal with weld shop supervisors that have problems with prints, weld gauges, and even welding period. My idea of a welding supervisor is that they should make sure that the welding meets all specific criteria b-4 sent to inspection. The buddy system at work, has any one else delt with this?:mad:
Dick
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-16-2015 10:01
Hi Dick! Anyone working in Qualty is gunnar cross heads with supervision at some point! Thats a fact! Never let work come between you and friendship! Explain whats required and accept nothing less and eventually you will get there!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-16-2015 12:23
My idea is that the welder guarantees and inspects their own work, thus leaving QA/QC in a consulting support role rather than a weld cop.

The weld shop supervisor needs to facilitate the welders needs along the following lines
*Reduce weld metal volume
*Reduce arc time per weldment
*Reduce rejects, rework, and scrap
*Reduce work effort
*Reduce motion and delay time.

How much time is spent moving a part to inspection and then back for rework ?

Sometimes it's hard to convince plant managers and their staff that there is greater profit in doing things right the first time eh?  There will prolly always be some friction between QA/QC and production... But when EVERYBODY understands the value in efficiency and quality it's a little easier...

The training tool for managers that I use is the "Barckhoff Method" and it is found in two places..  The AWS Certified Welding Supervisors Manual for Quality and Productivity Improvement and a book called Total Weld Management. 

A third place to find some of this information is Chapter 12 of the Lincoln Procedure Manual... It provides data but not strategies for implementation.

So to answer your question:     Yes I've dealt with this :)
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-16-2015 16:43
going to do a Kent thing
jump in head first
everyone has to have pride in their work
just how I learned many decades ago
Milt might do this better, as a current lead man
and way smarter than myself:eek::cool::red::smile:
sincerely,
Kent
- - By TB48 (*) Date 07-16-2015 12:55
Shop Supervisor and I seemed to disagree. I would find something that would need to be repaired and he would say oh that doesn't matter send it through. Of course I wouldn't send it through until it would be fixed. Needless to say there would be major disagreements on some things.
When you have someone that their job is production and hurry up and get it out that is all that matters to them. Then you have the inspector that has to make sure everything is right before it goes out. It got pretty hairy sometimes.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-16-2015 13:43 Edited 07-16-2015 13:46
That's part of the problem.  Production and quality must go hand in hand.  It's part of the responsibility of production to produce a product that meets code, and it's quality control's responsibility to ensure that it does.  Quality should be built into the product.  Not inspected into it.
Parent - - By TB48 (*) Date 07-16-2015 14:43
I totally agree SCOTTN. I told the welders they are the first inspection. The problem is a lot of them didn't really know what was wrong with their welds.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-16-2015 14:50
If they don't know what's wrong with their welds, that's a result of a lack of training, which is a result of a lack of supervision.  At a minimum. welders should know the visual acceptance criteria shown in Table 6.1.  That should be part of every welders training and should be one of the criteria within their job description, as well as within the supervisors job description.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-16-2015 16:07
A common enough term in our industry is that "the welder is the first line of inspection"

I think this is an absolutely toxic view...  It allows a daily system where the welder can allow something to get past because the "next line" of inspection will pick it up.

I think the welders need to be gathered and told by the top management that they are the *final inspector* of their work.. That they must guarantee the work they produce is correct before it moves out of their work area.   Even if the work is 100% X-ray or UT afterward, the welder must guarantee his/her welds.

If a weld leaves a workstation and is rejectable or incomplete, something needs to happen!  

There is usually a upstream/support issue that causes rejects and if nothing is done, the problem continues weldment after weldment.  Kaizen!

Like Scott said..   If a welder cannot do a complete visual evaluation of his own work, he should not be qualified to do the work.  The training investment to teach visual inspection with an added component of "causes and corrections" of defects and discontinuities is something that will bring unbelievable improvement to the bottom line if you don't have it in place.
Parent - - By TB48 (*) Date 07-16-2015 16:22
Lawrence you are right. Thank you.

I would go to each welder that was having problems and give instructions as to what was wrong and how to fix it. Then was told that I wasn't allowed to talk to the welders because it held up production. So then I went to the supervisor and explained what was wrong. If I was lucky it would get taken care of before it left the welders horses. If not it would have to be returned to the welder to be repaired. My problem was I wanted to skip the middleman in that case it was the shop supervisor. That was my bad.
Finally there was improvement and not as many repairs.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-16-2015 18:57
Never enough time to do it right.  Always enough time to do it twice.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-16-2015 19:55
Hello Lawrence, I partially disagree with your assessment of the "welder as the first line of inspection". I do believe that they "are" the first line of inspection and should be the final, but that they have to be trained to know and react to what they see in the process of welding in a manner that provides for corrections to ensure that subsequent inspection does not reveal a need for corrective action.

It is always easier to address a bad restart, porosity, or other weld discontinuities at the time that it happens. You don't want to wait to catch these things later down the line. I believe that what you are saying, is essentially: welders need to have the training to know what is correct or not correct and they need to be allowed to take the necessary steps on their own to address pitfalls/shortcomings without waiting for someone else to catch it, or not. Some welder shortcomings are spot type issues (everyone can make a mistake now and then) and should not necessarily result in their termination or disciplinary type actions. For others, continual issues should lead to a change in employment and sometimes even a career, although I believe that is an extreme view and generally can be addressed by the individual and their passion for their trade.

I reread your post and I do understand that you are saying that welders have the responsibility to produce work that is up to the particular level that is required by their jobs or the applicable code. In other words they should not produce anything sub-par or at least know that if they do produce something like that, that they need to correct it and if they consistently produce unacceptable work they will be looking for a new job.

Sorry if my post sounds like a negative, it is not intended that way. I do tell students that they are the "first line line of inspection" simply because if they produce a weld and in the process of making that weld they know that it will not meet a particular requirement that it is not okay to proceed simply because they think that the odds might favor them and the work might make it through the rest of the inspection process without being caught. They get the full-meal deal on how work that doesn't meet the intended outcome can be costly to repair and even more costly on a personal level if someone's safety has been compromised. 

I believe that we are both on the same page and have chosen to use slightly different tacts to get the information across. Hope all is well for you these days Lawrence, I am sure that you are very busy and I always appreciate your comments. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-16-2015 20:07
What I'm saying is that I like an environment of "complete ownership" of the work while it is in the workstation.

When a weld is moved out of the work area that is defective, I said "something needs to happen"   That is not meant as a punitive thing.  It means that whatever caused the defect needs attention so that they don't continue to make them :)     Whether it is a process issue upstream (fitters, plasma cut, kerf, mill scale, whatever) it's always worth the time to analyze each defect, even if it is briefly done.  And of course this takes some training.

I'm sure we are on the same page....   I just prefer the paradigm that "nothing leaves my work area wrong and I guarantee it"  rather than "I'm the first line of inspection".
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-16-2015 22:10
Understand and agree. Best regards, Allan
- By dick (**) Date 07-17-2015 05:07
I would like to thank all of you for your responses. I agree with you all! Seem we have all been there at some time in our careers. Just wish we could muster up some more guidance from management. We need to work together & do it right the first time.
You all have a great day!
Dick
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld shop supervisors