Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PQR Qualification in aws d1.1
- - By JP (*) Date 01-02-2016 08:41
Dear Experts,

am planing a wps quaification in 3G plate position SMAW process , CJP ..But when i noticed Table 4.1 (WPS Qualification) if qualification position is in 3G then the production plate welding qualified is Vertical only , so my doubt is that if we need to weld 2G position in production whether we need to qualify another PQR in 2g position???? because position is shown as essential variable in Table 4.5 sl 27 as per AWS D1.1,2010

Awaiting the valuable comments,

Regards ,
JP
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-02-2016 16:15
I agree with your conclusion. If you have production requirements that include grooves welded in the horizontal position, the WPS must be supported by a PQR that was welding in the horizontal position.

I suggest considering changing the method of welding so that the WPS meets all the conditions of prequalification and side step the need for qualifying the WPS in accordance with clause 4. There are many instances where modifying the process slightly allows the contractor to develop prequalified WPS and eliminate the time consuming and expensive process of qualifying the WPSs by testing.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By JP (*) Date 01-03-2016 18:48
Thank you AL...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PQR Qualification in aws d1.1