Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New AWS Member Network
- - By Trackergd (**) Date 08-05-2016 10:57 Edited 08-05-2016 11:55
Just letting all of you know that I sent an email to Cassie Burrell earlier this week.

This morning I received a very nice response that detailed the upcoming Member Network, many of it's features and the thought process behind the changes.  I was assured that the new format was never about a way to create more revenue for the Society, and by the wording of the response it was clear that it was not a slight against those of us who regularly participate.  I have to take such statements at face value until proven otherwise.

I gather from her email that my thoughts were constructive and that I articulated my points well.  I was also informed that they (the AWS) are actively working to ensure that the information in this current forum is archived and available to anyone, and to provide at least one open community in the new format for non-members to post questions.

I know that we can be a bit jaded, we have all been lead down the garden path more than once in our lives.  I humbly suggest that we reserve judgement until we see the new format.  Please note that I have many of the same concerns as the rest of you, however there are enough of us here who are AWS members that do have the ability to carry any future displeasure to our Chapter Meetings and if needed, to the AWS leadership.  The new alternate websites provided by current participants would be a good way of communicating any displeasure after this forum is locked, as well as the contact emails that have been posted by many members.  If you wish to have mine, please PM me.

Know that I have grown immeasurably in my skills by the sound advice provided by many of you and have come to consider you friends.  Were it in my ability to pay for AWS membership for all of you, I would do so without second thought.

I have my fingers crossed and have asked (more than once) for divine intervention.

Garrett
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-05-2016 12:06
I sent one a few days back myself. No response though.

I am hoping this forum isn't locked. Surely the new one and the original one can "peacefully co-exist".

Gerald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2016 12:17
Ya remember when Henry used to pound out his walls of text?

He would always preface it with something along the lines of "World's Best Welding Forum"

It really is the world's best welding forum, and it's not even close.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-05-2016 12:44
I haven't emailed anything. I see it like this, as I have learned over many years, my voice means nothing. They will do what they want regardless of what "the people" have stated. Now, maybe they will surprise me but being pessimistic I won't hold my breath.

I have not figured out the significance in closing the forum to members only myself. If your mission is training and welding excellence why would you not want the knowledge of this forum open to all who are willing to educate themselves? To better themselves?

This is a great forum. We have had heated discussions but everybody remains civil which is amazing considering the industry we work in where a foul mouth is almost a job requirement. The information that can be found here is invaluable.

I will watch and see what happens.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-05-2016 14:45
Shawn,
AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yell::cool:
I wish to stay here
and share knowledge with everyone
REPEAT EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yell::cool:
and it is my knowledge
so if I think it should be free and open
or a link I post is free and open
NO one else should make $$$$$$$$$$
on shared information
because that is also peer review
where someone else
can pick up mistakes
and improve on ideas
the more inclusive, the better it works
the whole world is there
open up to them:smile::cool::grin:
just my thoughts
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-05-2016 20:34
Well said Kent! Nothing like throwing an idea out there on the forum and having everybody present their input.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-05-2016 22:39
Shawn,
the old days, DAMN I miss them
when my crew could tell me I am stupid
and I could tell them they are moron's
life changes
mostly for the worse:sad:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-06-2016 00:25
I still hear it out on jobs with some crews I work with, back and forth between them but they are not, kitty cats with their feelings on their sleeves! LOL!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2016 12:22
Cassie really impressed me in a couple of ways... Most striking was her action when I alerted her to the fact that JS55 had been "banned"   

Cassie was unaware of it until I brought it to her attention...   He was reinstated in less than 15 minutes from the time she learned of it.   No matter what the cause originally might have been, when somebody can make a decision and take action because its "the right thing to do" it means a lot (at least to me)
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-05-2016 14:38
Amen Lawrence. If it aint right... make it right.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-05-2016 14:57
Scott
we will get our way
be it here or another forum:eek:
aws does have the ball, that we use:cool::smile:
but we can also use another ball:eek:
this forum is made by the people that post here
the knowledge of these people about welding is
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!
just my thoughts
sincerely,
Kent
P.S.: the past posts are more information than
is anywhere
the ones who are no longer here with us
were kind enough to leave some of knowledge
they had for everyone
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-05-2016 15:06
Its great to go back and read old posts. Thise of members who are gone, those still here, and even my own. Hate to lose that!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-05-2016 18:15 Edited 08-07-2016 18:29
I received a response as well a little while ago.

We will just have to see what happens. It is definitely their sandbox (with a few toys freely contributed by both registered and non-registered sandbox users). I do think they are still discussing the issue but there is really nothing to lead me to believe this forum will stay intact as it is.

^^^^^^^
I was wrong
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-05-2016 20:37
Well, like you said, have to see what happens.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-06-2016 14:07
Shawn,
we can hang together:cool::grin:
or hang separtaly :eek::sad:
our choice
I say hang together:cool::grin::smile:
just my thoughts
sincerely,
Kent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New AWS Member Network