Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Welder/Operator Qualification and Certifications
- - By Nalla (***) Date 04-21-2016 19:52
Dear Sirs
ASME IX or ASME B31.3  or Both Codes shall be complied with ?

My Contractor insits on-
Primary Code is ASME IX only.

My understanding
Design/Construction Codes requirements shall always take precedence over ASME IX requirements.
For example
ASME B31.3 Mandatory requirements shall take precedence over ASME IX mandatory requirements
QG-100 SCOPE
(b) Whenever the referencing Code, standard, or specification imposes requirements different than those given
in this Section, the requirements of the referencing Code,standard, or specification shall take precedence over the
requirements of this Section.

As for  WQT for High Pressure Piping ASME B31.3-Chapter IX shall be complied with.ie Mechanical Tests mandatory

Pls guide for better undestanding
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-22-2016 02:56 Edited 04-22-2016 12:24
Section IX lists the basic requirements. Those requirements are supplemented by the appropriate construction code. The construction code invokes additional requirements that are mandatory or additional restrictions that are mandatory.

A good example is the evaluation of the welder performance coupon. Section IX allows for either radiographic examination of the test coupon or guided bend testing in lieu of RT. However, when B31.3 is invoked by the Owner and the fluid service is categorized as High Pressure, the welder's performance coupon [url=]must be [/url]evaluated using guided bend tests. RT is off the table and unacceptable under the conditions cited.

You are correct in saying the construction code takes precedence over Section IX. If one looks at the qualification requirements in the construction code, i.e., B31.3, Section IX is specified as the means and methods of qualifying the procedure and the welder except where modified by the construction code.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 04-25-2016 01:03
Well explained
Thank you very much
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-25-2016 02:26
Glad to be able to help you.

Best regards - Al
- - By chandru6alex Date 09-08-2016 06:20 Edited 09-08-2016 07:47
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a doubt in interpretation of welder qualification period.

In my case, a welder is qualified by conducting qualification test during Jan,2015 as per ASME Sec-9. Tests are OK.
So, his period of qualification is Jan,2016 to June,2016. During this period, he performed a welding on job (Production weld) on March,2015. After that he didn't performed any weld regarding that initial qualification.

Now(June 2015), a welding engineer notices that his qualification going to expire. And the Engineer plans to extent his qualification by production weld, he finds out the welder performed the welding on March, 2015.

My question is,

1. The welder qualification renewal is from March,2015 to August,2015

[OR]

2.The welder qualification renewal is from June,2015 to Dec,2015.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 09-09-2016 02:59
OK, you are confusing me with the dates jumping from 2015 to 2016 then back to 2015. Is this a typo?

Here is my understanding of your question:
A welder passes a qualification test in Jan. 2015 meeting ASME Section IX. The welder performs a production weld in March 2015. When does his qualification expire?

The answer is 6 months from the last date that welding was performed with the same welding process. So, that would be in September 2015.

This is called "continuity", not "renewal".
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Welder/Operator Qualification and Certifications