Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Prequalified WPS for SMAW with 7018-A1
- - By Liyaquath Ali Date 10-07-2017 17:18
Hi Gents,

Can anybody tell me how can i verify the Ampere,Voltage and Travel Speed of Prequalified WPS for SWAM Process.As far as i know E7018-A1 is typically used for the fabrication of carbon-molybdenum pipes, pressure vessels, boilers and tubing containing ½% Mo.Do i need to advice my client to change the electrode where the requirement is to weld Group No:2 to Group No:2.

Thanks,

LA
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-09-2017 16:17
Hi Liyaquath,

Since you use the term "Prequalified"  I'm going to assume AWS D1.1 is the governing specification.  Correct us if this is not the case.

The SMAW variables you mentioned can be found in the Manufacturers suggested performance data for your Electrodes, and then applied to the essential variable range values listed in Clause 3.

Note:  AWS D1.1 is a structural welding code and is not typically used for pipes, pressure vessels, and boilers.  Nor do pressure vessel or boiler codes have prequalified WPS's.
Parent - - By Liyaquath Ali Date 10-10-2017 15:06
Thank you so much Mr.Lawrence...
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-12-2017 16:29
Since you didn't get back to us to answer Lawrence's question regarding the applicable welding standard, I will respond with a generic reply.

The easiest way to establish a reasonable range of welding parameters is to qualify a procedure for fillet welds. While it will provide no information relating to the mechanical properties, it will provide useful information about the appropriate voltage, amperage, and travel speeds. Of course, this assumes you have access to a welding maching, raw material, electrodes, and last but not least, someone that can weld.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Prequalified WPS for SMAW with 7018-A1