Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Does compression/tension change anything with static loads?
- - By Marko Toljan Date 12-07-2017 11:36
Under dynamic loads, welds can withstand 15-20% more compressive stress, but what about static loads?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-07-2017 13:12
Your design standard would address your concerns.

Al
Parent - - By Marko Toljan Date 12-07-2017 14:36
I'm a college student and the only thing I know is that the load is static and that the tensile stress is around 90% of the compression stress. The question is which will cause a failure first. I suppose that it doesn't matter with static load, but from experience, if you weld a vertical pillar to the ground and apply enough force on it horizontally, which side will give out first and is there a difference at all?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-07-2017 14:42
If the materials of construction is carbon steel, the allowable tensile stress and compressive stress are considered to be equal. If the material of construction is cast iron or concrete, the allowable unit stress is not and the design must take those factors into consideration.

Al
Parent - By Marko Toljan Date 12-07-2017 14:55
Thank you for your time and a satisfactory answer.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Does compression/tension change anything with static loads?