Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME Sec IX WPQ bend tests
- - By new tito (***) Date 03-14-2007 19:04
I'm not too familiar with bend testing as most of our welders are dinosaurs and tested SMAW (by RT) because they refused to switch to GMAW/FCAW.  Well the times they are a changing and the 2 dinos are being forced to convert to wire to speed up production.  Accordong to ASME Sec IX, GMAW short circuit must be tested by bending.  Here's what I came up with for the actual test specimens but would like to run it by more experienced people than myself.

The coupon will be 6" dia.,  .562" w.t., in 6g position.  Specimen to be 6" long by 1 1/2" wide.  Now, the part I'm really wanting assistance on is the "strap" thckness.  QW-462.3(a) leads me to believe that with my .562" thk pipe, the ending thickness for testing will be 3/8".  This will be after grinding weld surfaces flush with base metal, and machining either the face side or root side (depending on test).  Basically, question is, is 3/8" right for final thickness of specimen to be bent? 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-14-2007 19:07
new tito, if it were me doing it, I would cut 4 side bends at 3/8" x wt x length.  No need to make 1.5" wide... your thinking root and face but for thickness over 3/8" sides are allowed.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 03-14-2007 19:32
OK, I see where you're coming from.  Just to make it clear, not saying that I'd do the last one, but, - for thicknesses over 3/8" and at 6G ( 4 test specimens req'd) - according to code I could do 4 side bends, or 2 face + 2 root bends, or 2 sides + 1 face + 1 root bend.  I'm I correct in my interpretation.  Like I said, I probably would not do the last option, just checking my thinking. 

Either way it's done, the final thickness of the cross section to be bent will be 3/8"?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-14-2007 19:44
Unless you have capabilities to bend greater than 3/8" which many of us do not, you would use side bends.  QW-466.1 only seems to address specimens 3/8" or less in thickness.  I suppose in practicality, you could machine thickness down to 3/8" and do double the quantity if you REALLY wanted roots and faces but I don't think you're crazy.... lol! ;-)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-14-2007 19:50
Root and face bends are full thickness at a specific width. Side bends are 3/8" in bend thickness to create 20% outer fiber elongation.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-14-2007 19:57
Man I fought that same battle in transition from SMAW to FCAW. Had a welder look me square in the face and tell me he could kig my *** runnin SMAW on 30 inch 2" wall faster than I could run FCAW. When I fired up on the bottom and ran all the way to the top without stopping at about the time he was sticking his third or fourth rod in his stinger, he was convinced.
Of course, some of these old boys were around when FCAW was rushed to market and wasn't ready.
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 03-14-2007 20:38
ok, i think i've got it now.
Parent - By whip (*) Date 03-15-2007 01:42
I give alot of the FCAW tests and one thing I can tell you is start out with tiptop tuned up machines.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME Sec IX WPQ bend tests