Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Galvanized Welding Test
- - By welder387 Date 04-18-2007 19:30
Recently, a local Contractor has inquired about having their welders certified on galvanized plate.  I would like to help them, although our facility has no welding procedures for this.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.  Brian
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-18-2007 20:32
Didn't say which code, but if you are using D1.1,

....and If you are trying to use prequalified procedures you will need to make a provision to remove the coating at the locations of the where the welds will be placed, if you don't remove the coating before welding you will need to run a PQR and write a new WPS.
Parent - - By welder387 Date 04-18-2007 22:48
I will be using the D1.1 code.  I would like to have a procedure which has already been qualified using the 3/8 A36 plate with a galvanized coating.  According to Section 4, (Fig. 4.32) a Fillet Weld Root Bend Test can be given to certify a welder or welding operator.  I do have a WPS for a welding test using 1/2 inch galvanized plate set up in a Tee Joint for the fillet break test.  According to section 4, Table 4.10 Fillet Option 1(Fig. 4.36) has to have one fillet break and one macro-etch.  I would have to send this off to be tested and at $150.00 each, in order to certify 70 welders this could get costly.   Our facility has a saw and a bender, so if I could give the test on 3/8 plate, I could cut it and bend it here.  Thanks, Brian
Parent - By scott harrison Date 04-19-2007 18:36
Brian,
I am not sure what process you are running but I ran into the same problem as you, I was getting a lot of inclusions trying to weld through the galv.  I finally qualified a WPS by gapping the joint 1/8" and using Lincoln innershield NR-202 (FCAW).   But whatever you do, you will need to qualify it by testing.  Hope that helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Galvanized Welding Test