Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / E7024 SMAW Filler Rod WPS
- - By eekpod (****) Date 05-17-2007 11:41
Gentlemen, I'm asking for your help in double checking me on a  Prequalified WPS that I need to write for one of our field superintendents.

He wants to use E7024 SMAW filler rod for fillet welds in the horzontal position out in the field on a structural building, I'm not sure exactly what parts are being joined. These are not-low hydrogen rods.  I find it odd that he wants to change to a rod we don't usually use, thus we don't have a WPS on file.

As I read D1.1 (06),  pg57, section 3.3 Base Metal /Filler Metal Combinations; They can weld "Any steel to itself or any steel to another in the same group".  Thus SMAW E70XX is allowed for group I only to group I, and the relationship would be matching.
But due to this rod is not a low hydrogen rod, it can NOT be used to weld "Any steel in one group to any steel in another."

Basically what I am trying to confirm is that the Table 3.1, Pre-qualified Base Metal-Filler Metal Combinations, is that a Group I material may be welded to itself w/ SMAW E70XX (in my case E7024), but it can Not be used to weld Group II material because it is not listed in Group II Filler Metal Requirments.

Thanks in Advance,  Chris
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-17-2007 13:34
Chris,

The use of E7024 is not prequalified for Group II steels.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 05-17-2007 20:56
Right, that's what I thought, but it is pre-qualified and ok to use for Group I steel, right?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-17-2007 20:58
Yes. 
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 05-17-2007 22:03
thanks , Chris
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 05-20-2007 16:11
I would think that your super wants to use 7024 because someone told him that it welds faster. The rod itself is rated for flat and horizontal welding but I have never seen that to be true in the horizontal position. I guess if a person had lots of time on the rod in the horizontal you could produce a good looking weld ,as of yet myself I have not been aple to do so without the aid of a grinder not to say it can't be done but is it quicker then 7018 I don't think so. flat though I would say crank her up and let'er rip.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-20-2007 19:22
Hello makeithot, I would definitely agree with your statements in regard to horizontal welding with E7024 electrodes in the horizontal position. The rod designation may indicate that it can be run in the horizontal position, but I believe most who have done it or tried it will agree it isn't a simple thing to master. That rod especially, has a nasty habit of leaving fish eyes in the weld bead or favoring one side of the joint over the other and if you have to run it, run it hot, as you said. My $.02 Regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / E7024 SMAW Filler Rod WPS