Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Opinions?
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-12-2007 05:12
Opinions?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-12-2007 09:13
An award winning photo!!!  I know proportions are out but almost looks like jetrod....
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-12-2007 11:38
Looks to me like a low hydrogen rod on an open root.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-12-2007 15:32
It's A553 group 1 (P11A) with NiCrMo-6 electrode. 
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 09-12-2007 16:03
What kind of opinion you looking for. I was going to say a high Ni rod form the looks of the spatters balls poping around it, very heavy puddle. cant see if its is wetting in good. Is it an inlay, joint or crack repair?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 09-12-2007 16:48 Edited 09-12-2007 16:51
If you look at the smoke close enough, about middle of the picture, close to the bottom, you can see a man sitting down with his legs crossed, like he's waiting for the bus.  I think he's wearing shades, but the picture is too dark to tell.  He's smoking, and that's where all that smoke is coming from.  He looks like he's sitting on an invisible bench.  Both arms are across the back of the invisible bench.  The bright orange stuff that's just above his head looks like he caught something on fire behind him.  Maybe a tree.  That's the part I can't figure out.  Out of tree fire and over to the right, it looks like something else is on fire too and is coming out of the tree fire really fast with its mouth open really wide.  I don't know what it is, but it looks like it's ready to take a big bite out of the corner of the picture.

Am I gettin' warm?
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 09-12-2007 17:35
That's awesome, dude.  I can't believe you saw that.  Would've never noticed had you not detailed it as well as you did.

Cool pic too!!
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 09-12-2007 21:05
Cant' belive no one else see it!!  Oh well, let 'em think I'm smokin too!!  :)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-12-2007 18:00
Scott

Smoke?

Somebody's been smokin alright
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 01:43 Edited 09-13-2007 01:50
Well as for opinions, It took me a while to work out the technique to capture the image and afterwards thought it would illicit some comments.
Never noticed a man smoking, but did note what looked like a dragons head to me. 
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-13-2007 06:31
I can't say that it is NOT a dragon's head, because I have never ACTUALLY SEEN a dragon. :-)
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-12-2007 17:44
Gerald,

this is... e x c e l l e n t !

I hope you have permitted that I have printed it out and fixed it straightaway onto my pinboard, see below!

Of course I have marked it with your copyright! :-)

Thanks for that and best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-12-2007 20:20
it makes a good desktop on the computer also
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 09-13-2007 15:43
hogan!

Once again you hit the nail on the head!

Looks great!

Regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 01:49
That would be fine. Although you've got my curiousity up with your post. The part about optimizing the values of uncertain input in the picture. I don't supose you'd mind sharing some detail on that would you?

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-13-2007 18:32 Edited 09-13-2007 19:16
Gerald,

you know that I am very interested in any information with regard to weld-simulation.

Since here one combines - or tries to - both arc- and solid state physics to achieve what is normally hard or nearly impossible(?) to achieve.

Predictions on what might happen while the welding-process is running or how the welding process affects the welded base material.

It is in my personal opinion an incomparable and tremendous field of investigation, information and a great opportunity for very own personal endeavor. Much too much for a single human being in a single human life, I honestly know that, but nonetheless I love it..!

This what you have mentioned is a fraction of a very interesting presentation coming from Professor Tarasankar DeBroy from the Pennsylvania State University, which is - as far as I am correct - one of the world wide leading institutes in the field of computational welding simulation.

He has held this presentation named:

«Tailoring Fusion and Friction Stir Welds using a Reliable and Efficient Transport Phenomena based Model and a Genetic Algorithm»

on the

8th International Seminar
Numerical Analysis of Weldability

been held in Graz in Austria in 2006, see also:

http://iws.tugraz.at/IWS_tree/Veranstalt/Seggau/2006/e_seggau_programme.html

Within the presentation he treats the Friction Stir Welding and the Gas Tungsten Arc Welding process as examples for an introduction of what Numerical Analysis is meanwhile able to achieve in the field of Simulation.

Although I unfortunately couldn't attend personally, I had the luck to receive the presentations, however, because my colleagues from our "Numerical-Simulation-Department" were there. You  know, where my friend the PhD in Mathematics is the head of (he who has the patience to "explain" me math from time to time :-)).

Gerald, unfortunately there are Copyright reasons making it impossible to share the details of DEBROY's presentation with the forum, although I incredibly would like to!

Nonetheless, what I would like to do is to attach the specific slide which you have mentioned in your kind reply hereinafter for your kind information. I guess by that I won't contravene any governing laws of Copyright.

Furthermore I guess as well, it is not prohibited to write me a short private message, for a continued discussion of this interesting presentation. You know what I mean?

So I ask your kind understanding for what I have described and remain with as always
best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 03:14
Hi Stephan!

Ahh Calculus!!! Nothing like "Brain Food!!!" ;) ;) ;) "Genetic Algorithms" no less -Fun, Fun, Fun!!! :) :) :)

I'm going to send you one as a PM because it's way too over the top so to speak, for this family friendly forum so, look for it as soon as I find it in one of my hard drives!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 09-14-2007 23:00
Hey Henry!

A heartily "Cheers" in advance for that!

As I already said, for me you are "...an inexhaustible source of technical knowledge!"

So I am devotional awaiting...

Best to you,
Stephan

P.S. But please don't make it too hard, you know my family still needs me and I don't want to end up in a heart attack..! :-)
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-12-2007 17:50
The best thing in the world is when your auto hood shuts of in a penetration pass!!

THE BEST!!!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2007 20:26
It's a good photograph. As for the man smoking ...... I'm not so sure he's in the photograph. ;)

Al
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 09-13-2007 03:37
Like staring into a campfire........Out riding the sands all day, fixin the kids bikes, pickin them up and encouraging them to go on, drinking WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY to many beers, (and goin for a night ride), Gettin lost and finding your way back again (No GPS, just like dad taught you.)  Keeping your mouth shut while youre stupid sister in law talks nonsense,  Getting the tent ready to sleep in............................(Couple more beers and thats it.....)      AHHHHHHHHHHHH Staring into that fire.......... Reminds you of work!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful pic--------Thats all I got.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 09-13-2007 11:41
I see a couple of Hula girls dancing in the sun set.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 20:33
This photo is so cool, I honestly believe it ought to be on the cover of a future Welding Journal, perhaps entitled "The Eye of the Dragon" absolutely awesome photo, don't know who took it but he or she ought to receive a photojournalistic award of some sort... Ross, how about it?????  Please send a copy of this to the Journal (with the originator's permission, of course!).
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 20:41
Jon, I agree 100%. Very nice pic for that unique cover shot.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 20:43 Edited 09-14-2007 00:13
Well, since we're sitting around making animals out of the clouds, I think it looks like the head of a screaming eagle.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-14-2007 17:20
I vote for the screaming eagle - swooping in from the left.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 20:43 Edited 09-14-2007 00:13
edit: sorry about the double post...............ughhhh, computers
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 21:49
well, actually, I can look at the smoke, off there to the left and make out a bull or a ram or some other mystical creature with horns facing straight forward and the body off to the right... can even see some form of nose in the face area... awesome, simply awesome!!!!!!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 22:08
Jon the photo was taken by myself.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 03:08
Hi Gerald!
Is this really a new type of Nebula you recently discovered with your yet to be patented homemade telescope which is connected to the most advanced one out there Gerald??? So, what you're really attempting to do here is to hide it in plain sight by superimposing it to multiple frames that overlap each other??? Because, that is what I see!!! ;) ;) ;) That little guy is an alien Scott... I'm almost sure of it!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-15-2007 02:28
Umm no nebula, as for a homemade telescope, Tried it once, but grinding a lense is a lot harder than it appears. Trying it myself gave me a whole new respect for the people who do it by hand.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-15-2007 14:34
Hi CWI555!
The observation I made about the Nebula, and the telescope were purely out of humor so, please do not at all take what I said seriously. Btw, I had the honor to visit a plant in New York State that manufactures the glass lens on some of the largest telescopes around the world, and I agree with your own observation... The folks who work on making them certainly deserve high praises for their skills.

When I find the pics, I'll post a comparison of the weld pool & gas fumes with a photo of a real life nebula so one could see the similarities. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 09:17
Gerald, there are some photo's that transcend mere duplication of an image by photographic means, this is one of them, it is, in my opinion, in a catagory of fine art... I actually went to bed last night thinking of this image on an Image of Welding Poster, with some keen verbiage underneath it... It is, simply put, inspiring and totally awesome or as I said above, has "mystical" qualities... just fantastic, one of the best I've ever seen!!!  By the way, I hope you don't mind, I sent a copy to everyone on my list who is a welder, or involved with welding.  My very highest compliments!!!
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 16:22
Thanks for that jon, it's appreciated. Don't mind the sending along as long as they know who took it.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 09-15-2007 16:08
Gerald, That is for sure an assume picture, What did you use for a camera and filter. As for the other images that everyone see's - If you boys are going to be smoking that stuff you need to share.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-15-2007 16:40
No filters are involved. F8, exposure time 1/4000, ISO 100, background high intensity flash. Camera is a Sony DSC H9 using manual settings. White light was adjusted manually, and the metering was raster scan pattern. I tried a few different filters, none of them worked. Using a high intensity background flash, and a 1/4000 exposure time worked better.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 09-17-2007 00:59
And again well done!  I do not have a background flash but would like to try it.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 09-13-2007 21:15
Gerald,

Do you have a higher resolution original of this shot?

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-13-2007 22:04 Edited 09-13-2007 22:10
Ross,

Can send you the whole pic if you give me an email for it. Resolution is 72 by 72 dpi, maxed out for the camera used.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 09:21
Ross, WJ Cover... <Please!!!>... the story behind the article AWS Forum Member could raise new levels of interest in our little world... Geral, while being a skateboard riding grown teenager (lol, sorry Gerald) is one of the most brilliant contributors to our Forum and his own website is equally impressive...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 12:43
Jon,
I think you have the two Geralds mixed up, although Gerald (CWI555) may still ride his skate board, I think you are thinking about Gerald (pipewelder_1999).
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 16:25
Last time I rode a skateboard I did so after a bottle of tokillya and ended up in the hospital for a couple of hours. Haven't ridden one since.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 16:23
Jon,

I believe the website you refer to belongs to the other Gerald. which is worthy of note as you mentioned.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 09-14-2007 17:49
see if you can see the man now.  im not to savvy on editing pics, but i put arrows pointing to head, torso, and legs.
Attachment: seetheman.doc (66k)
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 09-14-2007 17:53
Man, I think we're all on drugs or something!!!  Would've never thought that people can make so many imaginary images out of smoke!!!
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 20:46
I see it now that it's pointed out.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 09-14-2007 17:31
Nice picture!  I think he/she should have prepped his/her bevel a lil more.  I am trying to see that other stuff but I am struggling.  Then again I have trouble seeing stuff in clouds, too.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-14-2007 20:51
ahhhhhh, thanks guys for the clarification, it's obvious I've burnt wayyyyy too many braincells, lol! ;-)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-15-2007 00:42 Edited 09-15-2007 00:49
Hi Jon
Obviously! However you are not alone!!! :) :) :)

Then again, we all have the capacity to replace many of the ones that have become, let's say - incapacitated... The new ones that take their place often do not take up their predecesor's same positions in the hierchy of importance or function so, alot of "rewiring' occurs as a result, and often the cause of much confusion or dellusion on occasion. ;) I say this because, I too have personal experience in this rather unique capability us humans do have within our brains when compared to the rest of the primates. ;)

The regenerating capabilities of our very important yet, much misunderstood organ known as our liver is well known in medical circles... However the above mentioned capabilities of our own brains regenerating capabilities have only come to light recently in comparison, and is probably why no one as of yet has attempted to perform a human brain transplant. There's way too much yet to be learned about the human brain before we as humans can attempt to perform even lower primate brain transplants for research!!!

Any who, I'm getting ahead of my self... My donor liver came from a Mexican American, and that's as much as I know so far, of the individual who's family so generously donated his liver in order for me to recieve the gift of life... Many times I find myself having intense cravings of Mexican Food (Thank God - not for Tequila!) during the middle of the night yet before I was transplanted, I had no such desire or craving for Mexican food whatsoever!!! I also find myself wanting to take many more power siesta's (naps) which I never used to take... The urge of wanting to get on a motorcycle, and fly like the wind only to stop myself at the last moment so, there's alot to be said about inheriting certain characteristics from the donor. The last thing I've noticed is that I find myself writing paragraphs of stuff that have only a very slight connection with the topics at hand... This is most disturbing at times and yet, fascinating on other occasions... So I guess my point is that we all have certain idiosynchrosies in which we deal with all on a personal level that is unique within each, and every individual among us for which I guess gives us so much strength as a whole group of minds! Okay, maybe here is as good as any place to stop! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-15-2007 00:47
Btw, Gerald!

I was talking about that telescope being hidden in plain sight also within the photo. :) :) :)
Finally, for all those folks who think they know how to determine what being "high" is all about, or can easily misjudge someone who is "High" on life instead of being "High" on something else... This is being "High" on life - Capish???

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Opinions?
1 2 Previous Next