Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / New Year?
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-24-2007 08:43
Sooooooo, what's everyone got planned for New Year's eve?  Any special celebrations?  How about "resolutions" for the New Year? 

Unfortunately, I have to work both New Year's eve and New Year's day but I may still tip a few in reflection of what has, for me, been a year of change.  Many good things, a few bad things but never-the-less, lot's and lot's of change.  Lost a few family members and a few friends but gained a new job and a new financial outlook... life's a real trade-off, isn't it?

I'm looking forward to a very prosperous 2008 and am planning on doing some "self-study" ASM Courses in Metallurgy (will keep me busy and out of mischief this coming year!).  For those who don't know, ASM has Extension Diploma's in a number of aspects in metallurgy, study at your own pace, which will suit me fine while working away from home!

All the best and make a post to tell us your plans!

Regards,

Jon
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-24-2007 12:15
Hi Jon, sounds like you pretty much know what the year will bring you. sorry to hear of your losses.

As for me, getting Married and going to Germany to meet my fiance's family are on my agenda. Also
keeping my nose in the books as well. Good Luck to You and hope your year is a good one!

Carl
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-26-2007 22:10
Jon,

New Years Day, 2008 will mark my 50th birthday.  My first New Year's resolution is to finally find out what "resolution" really means.  After that, my second resolution is to start a petition that will require the monkeys in the zoo to wear sunglasses so that they can't hypnotize me any more.  Next, my third resolution is to start making my wife walk at least ten paces in front of me whenever we go out, in case we're attacked by street mimes again. 
I hope these few go better than last year's resolution when my wife and I agreed to cut back on expenses.  I had to give up drinking beer.  I wasn't a big drinker.  I only drank maybe a 12 pack on the weekends.  I did give it up but I noticed that there were times when she'd come home from grocery shopping, and the receipt would include $65 in makeup.  I said, "Wait a minute.   I gave up beer and you haven't given up anything!" Then she said, "I buy that makeup for you, so I can look pretty for you." I told her, "That's what the beer was for!".
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-27-2007 04:00
Scott; maybe we're related?  My father's birthday was January 1st also and you're the only other person I know who's been attacked by street mimes!!!  Last year, while visiting Victoria Island in Canada, my wife was approached and kissed by one of these monsters and then he (it) actually whispered into my ear "hot" lol!!!!!  :-)  We feared for our lives and quickly decided to empty our pockets!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-27-2007 00:15
I cant complain about my year. I have spent more time in my own bed next to my love than I have in 15 years. I plan on continuing that if it means putting a hood back on. I still have 35 pounds to loose this year after loosing 63 last year. Was planning on 240 by 50 but maybe 51. Take more bike rides with my new motored bicycle. A kick for a 50 year old. Pass the new API 577 supplemental inspector certification as the informal survey I have done found out I was not contributing enough to API and the petroleum industry. So I need to fork over anothe $275. Oh yea one of the others comes due this year too. Keep in good health and have my traditional cheery outlook on life.
As for New Years, I plan on being alone with the redhead, a bottle of AF bubbly, eat some blask -eye peas and maybe a little romance???? Unless she changes our mind. It has to be ours as I have lost mine. Monday -work, Tuesday-off-Wednesday-work.
BABRT's
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-27-2007 03:41
Jon,

Don't supose you could send along some info on the ASM courses?

Not much planned for new years other than spending time with the family.

regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-27-2007 03:56
Gerald;

here ya go!

http://asmcommunity.asminternational.org/portal/site/asm/LifelongLearning/Credit/ExtensionDiplomas/

Since I'm working overseas and away from my wife, I thought this would be a brilliant way to productively use up some of those hours spent alone in the hotel room!  I'll contact them as soon as I go back home in mid-January.

Achieve recognition of your achievements in learning in seven focused technical areas

The ASM Materials Engineering Institute awards extension diplomas in five focused areas of study, ranging from corrosion and general metallurgy to testing and welding metallurgy.

To achieve an extension diploma, an applicant must successfully complete either Elements of Metallurgy OR Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist, and a series of courses in one of the following technical specialties.  To get more information on Extension Diplomas, call Jim Flynn at 440/338-5151, ext. 5221.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Applied General Metallurgy Extension Diploma

Elements of Metallurgy or Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist®
Plus any four (4) other course
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corrosion-Chemical & Elevated Temperature Extension Diploma

Required: Elements of Metallurgy or Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist®
Corrosion
Stainless Steels
Introduction to Heat Treating
Electives (select one of the following): Aluminum & Its Alloys
Principals of Failure Analysis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ferrous Metallurgy Extension Diploma

Stainless Steels
Electives (select any two courses except): Aluminum & Its Alloys
Titanium & Its Alloys

Heat Treating Extension Diploma

Required: Elements of Metallurgy OR Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist®
Advanced Heat Treating
Practical Heat Treating
Practical Induction Heat Treating    

Non-Ferrous Metallurgy Extension Diploma

Required: Elements of Metallurgy or Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist® Titanium & Its Alloys
Aluminum & Its Alloys

Electives (select any two courses except): Introduction to Heat Treating

Testing & Inspection Extension Diploma

Mechanical Testing of Metals
Principles of Failure Analysis
Electives (select two of the following): Fundamentals of Non-Destructive Testing
Metallographic Interpretation
Practical Interpretation of Microstructures
Metallographic Techniques

Welding Metallurgy Extension Diploma

Welding Inspection & Quality Control
Any three other courses

Regards,

Jon
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-27-2007 09:07
Hi guys,
Just had Xmas in NZ with my 2 young girls and heading back to the Philippines for New Year.
One of these days I might actually get back to New Caledonia where I am supposed to be based, not sure if I will still have a desk anymore.
Best wishes to everyone for '08.
Jon, Godzone is still as good as ever,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-27-2007 10:00
Shane, glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday in NZ and hope you have a great New Year!  If all goes well, Karen and I will be permanently relocated to godzone sometime around this time of year; 2009.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-27-2007 16:05
Looks interesting,

Thanks Jon,
Gerald
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-28-2007 03:41
i'll most lkiely be spending it outside alone sitting by a fire and maybe a beer or 24 Ryder goes in for a treatment on 12-31-07 which sucks but it's to make him better we get a MRI that day too i can only hope and pray that thing is gone from his brain as for work for 08 who knows the sky's the limit i've been trying to locate used running and welding machines to fix up a lil and resale but no luck everything i find is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up north. anyone comming to TX from MASS.  if so please let me know i found a nice looking machine up there and i want it but not sure what the shipping wud be prolly around 800 also found 1 in PA. want that 1 too but the shipping. anyway my new year will be just as busy as this 1 maybe more and i might actually get pipe welding down so i can go make some real money

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-28-2007 05:04
I hope Ryder's MRI shows good results and that the treatment goes well. I get My next dose on the 3rd, I had an extra week between treatments due to the holidays. My treatment schedule is all mesed up due to the holidays, but should be back on the usual schedule by Feb.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-28-2007 11:48
thanks dave he always takes a treatment in stride the way he takes it might as well be water lol they never make him sick he just looses color. you're a real trooper dave taken time to care about my son when you're goin thru hell yourself God bless you my friend keep on fightin you'll get better you'll see i just know it in 20 yrs you ryder n me will be sittib on the back porch BBQ'IN and trading war stories/
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / New Year?