Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection Report
- - By Joey (***) Date 01-25-2008 16:31 Edited 01-25-2008 16:36
Hi All,

Now I realize that its time for me to quit as a QC inspector for contractor. I want to upgrade myself to become an independent inspector in steel fabrication. I have a friend working for SGS and he encouraged me to join him. Although I'm confident that I can do welding inspection but my greatest worry is on whether I can write a narrative reporting. In the past, I have read the inspection reports of some of our hired 3rd party inspectors and the details of their inspection report are good, which were based on code requirements, but some gave a lengthy para with full of bloody opinion (boring).

I know some inspectors that are very good in the actual inspection and can talk very well but lousy in report writing.

Would you mind sharing your skill on how to write good inspection report.

Thanks 

Best Regards

Joey  
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-25-2008 17:58
Stick strictly to facts and observations. 

Report only the facts and information necessary to accurately report the results. 

do not leave any "holes" in the reporting. 

reference code paragraphs (ex. ASME sec VIII 2007 ed, QW11, para. 3(a)) to support your findings

only be as detailed as necessary

sign and date

That's all I can come up with for now..gotta go to lunch with the mistress....I mean Mrs.  :) 
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 01-25-2008 18:22
New Tito,

thanks for your advise!

Enjoy your lodge......I mean lunch :-)

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-25-2008 19:37
Ok, I'm back now.

To add a bit more - make sure to spell check!!!  Especially on a report.  Use the spell check function on the program you are running A-N-D actually read through it yourself.  Proof read EVERYTHING you turn in.  Nothing seems more unprofessional that seeing a report full of grammatical errors and is very poorly written.  *For the record, no I dont always proof read my posts* lol.  You don't have to be and english major, but for God's sake, make it look like an adult wrote it, not a 5th grader. 

Learn some basic letter formats.  (heading placement, spaces, adressee, etc)

One of the basic, easiest forms of reporting is with an inspection report.  A single page (possible multiple pages) that simply has boxes for info to be inserted (code, date, company, part number, job number, etc).  You know, like NDT reports.  It has all of the pertinent info, tells what you inspected and if it is acceptable or not.

But if required to write a report, stick to the point.  Do not throw needless rambling in there.  Also make sure to use appropriate terms and vocabulary.  Tailor the language of the report to your audience. 
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-26-2008 04:03 Edited 01-26-2008 17:21
Other than your already good advice, I would add a bit of clarification to it.

Regardless of what the item is, most codes that require inspections will refer either internally (D1.1) or externally (ASME Section VIII to ASME V procedures etc) to reporting requirements. They will also have specific definitions I.E. D1.1 using 3.0 standard welding terms and definitions, and ASME using SE 1316. Also, even within some codes such as ASME there are code tailored definitions such as can be found in B31.3.

Point of this being, for whatever code your inspecting to, it's a good idea to include in reporting the minimum required values for reporting for each code, using the specific definitions for the same.

Finally, people could care less about fluff in a report. For my own part, I get a little irritated when I read a report in which someone felt in necessary to try out their book writing skills. Clear, concise, appropriate detail, and without personal opinion. Do keep copies of everything electronic and hard copy.

Regards,
Gerald

Edit: One very important thing that has been left out. Avoid verbiage that appears accusatory. Even though the people may be idiots and likely deserve being named for the "honor" it's bad form to do so. Leave out specific names when possible. Use terms such as "contractor" "EPC subcontractor" "NDE firm" "GC" or other words of that nature. Everyone on the project will know they are idiots without saying "Billy bob from xyz company said it was good but it looks like $%$* to me".
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-26-2008 15:14
You have gotten some good advice in this.  I wanted to add-

Remember to address "who, what, when, how" in your report.  Be careful with "why", it will probably be your opinion. 

Try not to get wordy. Plain language, no slang and no $10 words is the best way to go. 

Ask youself " Will I understand this a year from now?"  If not, you don't have enough detail.  But also remember that some of that detail can be in referenced drawings and specs, so you don't need to re-write that info.

Never let anger influence your report, or at least try not to.  "Flaming" is bad form.

Remember: Just because they didn't do it the way you would, that doesn't mean it's wrong.  The work is per the contract, or it is not, so report that way.

Don't be afraid of "white space".  Plenty of separation between main points makes a report easier to read.  Use new paragraphs, bullet points, etc. to make reaing your report easy on the eyes.  (But make sure not to go overboard.)

If you have to go to page 2, you might lose your audience.  If you have that much information to cover, try to make your points on one page and reference attachments.

Make it your practice not to rush writing your report.  Some are easy, some are hard; hard ones should be started sooner. (If only I could follow my own advice on that one!).

Check your spelling.  We all make mistakes.  Some are from keystrokes, some are words we didn't know how to spell and forgot to check.  A few mistakes are easily forgivable but lots of misspellings turn off the reader.  Like it or not, that's fact and it will influence your credibility as an inspector.  (I know, that should not matter - but it does and life is not fair either)

As long as your reports are clear, concise, and accurate don't worry about how "the other inspector" would have written it.  You are not "the other inspector".   A good clue as to whether you should re-consider your writing style is if you get phone calls to discuss your reports.  You will know what you should do.

You will do just fine.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-26-2008 16:10
Anyone have any preferred software for this artform? This is a great thread, and something I think should be covered in CWI seminars.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-26-2008 17:13
I prefer word. However; that question gets into personal preference.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-26-2008 17:52
Joey,

All levels of our business are different when it comes to reporting.....You have gotten good advice from the others.  Experiment with a few different formats for your reports, one may not apply on all projects.

One thing that was not mentioned ..... depending on your client, you will often find that in addition to a ITP (inspection test plan) they may have their own report templates for pre-job meetings, surveillance, release notices etc.  This keeps the format the same for all of their third party inspectors. 

Check your PM

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 01-27-2008 16:29
Thanks to all.

Is there a reference book (recommended practice) available in the market? I believe that reference book may give you different kinds of report format and samples of inspection reports for tankage, pressure vessel, piping, structural steel etc. If don't have, then someone has to start to make now. The book will be a best seller for those welding inspectors from Japan, Korea, Germany, China, Indonesia etc.

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2008 20:33 Edited 01-28-2008 20:36
All of the responses have offered good advice.

I would include some additional detail. Specifically, what did you inspect! What drawings were used? What code is applicable? Were the drawings approved by the EOR?

Since you will be inspecting structural steel, include what members you checked. If there was an unacceptable weld or mislocated hole, what member and what fitting was affected?

I'll never forget the inspection reports filed by an inspector on one project where I was called in as an "expert witness" by the lawyers for the plaintiff; the inspector's reports were short, simple, and to the point: "Inspected 800 inches of weld, all was accepted."

We, as the readers, have no idea of what was inspected from the information provided. However, he did make it a point to report the outside temperature and whether the sun was shining or if it was cloudy. Who cares, it was a verification inspection performed inside the shop!

Some inspections call for a narrative style report, but most needs will be served by a "checklist" style report where the member markings and the fittings are noted, and whether the assembly was noncompliant or met the requirements of the drawing. Acceptable components are easy to report, however, rejected parts require more detail as to what and why they were rejected.

Personal practices:
- I never assign blame or analyze why something is unacceptable. That isn't my function as a third party inspector. The EOR or the client might ask for my opinion, but that isn't part of the report.
- Likewise, my job as a third party inspector isn't to be the fabricator's consultant. That is, it isn't my function to tell the fabricator or the welder how to fix or repair something that was rejected.
- The inspection report is for use by the client and the EOR, it is not intended to replace the fabricator's QC responsibilities or inspection personnel.

Remember the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. When work is plentiful, everyone wants you.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 01-29-2008 12:50
Al,

thanks for your very good advise.

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By Ariel D C (**) Date 02-29-2008 03:13
Joey,

Don't use complex English in narrative reporting, plain English is okay and attach more photos in your report.

Use the same terminology and words you read in the relevant specification and codes.

Do you want to work as third party inspector in Singapore? we have opening!

Ariel D C
www.setsco.com
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 02-29-2008 16:43
That little book, "Elements of Style", I believe by Strunk & White.  This book has excellent tips for clear, concise writing.  I re-read this book at least once a year - it's a short easy read - and my writing has improved a lot.  This book is commonly assigned to college classes so you should be able to score a cheap one.

One of the difficulties I have in report writing is changing tense.  Keep it in the present unless you are specifically writing about a past event.  And keep your sentances declaritive (I've got to go back to my "Elements of Style"; I forgot what declaritive is).

Bob G.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 03-02-2008 05:50
Ariel D C

i have no problem as my english vocabulary is very limited.

thanks for the employment opportunity, I've been in Singapore and knew about you=)

Regards
Joey
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection Report