Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Outrage
- - By ctacker (****) Date 03-02-2008 02:12
Who besides myself thinks its an outrage that 40 bil. of our tax dollars are going to france to build the air force's new tanker? giving jobs to france and not supporting our own workforce.
I think as taxpayers we should have a say how our money is spent!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-02-2008 02:35
Hello Carl, that does seem a bit strange considering everything that you do for the government in most arenas has to be done with domestic components and raw materials. I would think that would apply with military aircraft as well. I thought that I had once heard something about the need for weaponry and other items to be domestic due to the need for control and protection of technologies and less likelihood of sabotage. Interesting, I can't wait for more commentary on this one. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-02-2008 03:03
At first, I too was outraged, but then I believe there are NATO offsets built into this, and pay-offs to NATO countries for sending troops to Afganistan.  One thing for sure, something should be done to break the Boeing monopoly.  I just don't want to give it to the French and Airbus.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-02-2008 03:07
I have to agree that boeing should have gotten this one. They lost the JSF contract, and now this. What this amounts to is political punishment for moving their HQ to Chicago in 2001. Not all of that 40 billion is going to france, but all of it should have been staying here at home. You can probably thank the kind politicians out of the West coast states for this one.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-02-2008 06:34
well I hope for our soldiers sakes that Airbus has nothing to do with the autopilot/avionics systems...they seem to have some weird ideas about that stuff.  I hate any military contract going overseas.  Allan yes there were some laws in place that were there to prevent military hardware from being outsourced beyond....simply to prevent a cutoff of supply in time of war and or secret specs from being tightly controlled.  I have no idea where this lands in that or if what sounds like a sensible law even exists anymore....who knows as our "representatives" seem to be in a race to sell us all out.  I can tell you that aircraft components are contracted out in far flung places these days...kinda like everything else.   BTW  I am sick to death of getting Chinese tungsten...maybe I am highly biased but it does seem shoddy in comparison to what I use to work with.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-02-2008 17:02
We have the same issuues our selfs north of the line our next three ferries are being built in germany can't figure that out either. Maybe if we put someone in charge that knew something about building ships we could get'er done ????
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-02-2008 19:53
Tommyjoking

Guess What! 

In the last thirty years all the Tungsten was Chinese!  Sylvania, Teledyne (Wah Chang), Prest-O-Lite!   Strategic Metals is a very incestuous and unpatriotic business, Just like Oil!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-03-2008 04:37
LOL!!  Well Joe color me stupid I rekon....well their "quality control" (boy thats an oxymoron) has went down then.  Was not the metal bought and then manufactured into electrodes over here at one time?  
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 03-03-2008 17:42
"We build good ships.  At a profit if we can.  At a loss if we must.  But always good ships".

I love that phrase!  Wasn't it posted at the Newport News shipyards?

I'm happy to say NASSCO (National Steel and Shipbuilding Company) here in San Diego is doing very well.

Bob G.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2008 20:50
The greatest assembly of whores is in Washington. That's why I never vote for anyone that has been in office for two terms. Two terms and out.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-05-2008 16:50 Edited 03-05-2008 16:55
Funny you mention that Al!

I have a bumper sticker that says: "Re-elect NOBODY!!!" ;)

Here's one I read in an e-mail the other day:

"Atlanta Airport"

You gotta love this one even if you've never lived in the South. Some of you will enjoy this more than others - Southerners can be so polite!

Atlanta ACT:    "Tower to Saudi Air 911 -- You are cleared to land eastbound on runway 9R"
Saudi Air:        "Thank you Atlanta ACT.  Acknowledge cleared to land on infidel's runway 9R -  Allah be Praised."
Atlanta ACT:    "Tower to Iran Air 711 -- You are cleared to land westbound on runway 9R."
Iran Air:          "Thank you Atlanta ACT.  We are cleared to land on infidel's runway 9R. -  Allah is Great."
Pause....................
Saudi Air:        "ATLANTA ACT -- ATLANTA ACT"
Atlanta ACT:    "Go ahead Saudi Air 911."
Saudi Air:     "YOU HAVE CLEARED BOTH OUR AIRCRAFT FOR THE SAME RUNWAY GOING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS. WE ARE ON A COLLISION COURSE! INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE."

Atlanta ACT:   "Well bless your hearts. And praise Jesus!!! Y'all be careful now and tell Allah "hey" for us -- ya hear?";) :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-05-2008 17:08
LMAOROF, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-05-2008 18:00
Loved it. But you forgot "Ya'll come back now."
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-05-2008 19:25
Y'all know they aint!!! ;) Coming back - that is :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-05-2008 18:45
Now that's Bad!

Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-05-2008 22:44
Hi Al!

What's Bad? The bumper sticker, or the joke??? ;) Which btw, I'm going to post in another thread...

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-05-2008 20:09
You should change it to have one of them land on runway 27 left  That way it is a head on collision. less chance of collision avoidance.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-08-2008 01:18
Excellent point there Joe!!!

Btw, How are things with you Joe??? Good to read from you even though I know you're kind of busy these days.

One thing I wanted to ask you was about the "Freedom Tower"... How's the progress coming along???
Anywho, it's always good to know that you're still out there setting them straight, and taking no prisoners - so to speak!!! ;) Also, I hope your health has improved somewhat since the last time we spoke! Mine has significantly thanks to my savior!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By bayvalleyiron Date 03-08-2008 16:25
Screw Airbus, I hate those super jumbos They ought to be banned from our skies, Wasn't it bad enough when we had three hundred passenger jumbos crash into buildings? What, do we need 750 passenger planes so that they can do some real damage?
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-09-2008 02:40
You could look at it as 450 more people to stomp on any terrorists.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Outrage