Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Use of grinder during welder qualification
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By burnhard Date 06-04-2014 10:56
Hello,
I am a welding inspector AWS CWI(license expired) working in Europe for Total Corporation. One of our project is in Italy where I was asked to witness welders qualification. The test was a 3G on a 50mm plate. The welder was using a grinder between passes and I objected since in my humble opinion what is the validity of a test if you can use a grinder!
The owner of the shop asked me to show him where it is stated that a grinder cannot be used during qualification. Since i could not find anything in the D1.1 they did all their tests happily grinding away. I know the D1.5 does not allow grinding during testing. You comments are appreciated.
Sincerely,
Burnhard.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-04-2014 12:18
Briefly, this is an old subject of which there is much in here that can be searched. The jist from my perspective is that if it isn't prohibited then don't prohibit it. IMO it serves no purpose.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-04-2014 12:21
Your humble opinion was not asked for and your humble opinion should not change the way a test is conducted.

You said yourself, you were hired to wittness.. Not as a consultant.

That being said:    I think things like the use of grinders or the restriction should be stated in the written instructions of the welding test.

D1.1 is silent on grinders during testing...  This means that it is allowed.

Now if the agency managing the testing wants to limit or ban the use of grinders they may certainly do so.  You as the wittness have no such authority.    Record and report is what they pay you for eh?

It's the same with time limits...  A welder could take 2 days to weld a test coupon and the D1.1 code would allow it... 

The next time you wittness testing, it would be a better idea to ask questions up front on what kind of test conditions the organization wants and requires....  Then you can decide to accept the work or not, if you feel the project is too lax in its operations.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-04-2014 13:50
I wholeheartedly agree Lawrence!

Burnhard, what is the standard or code this job is working to? I ask this because if it's D1.1, then why in the heck would you want to impose a rule that's only required in D1.5?

IMHO, you're overstepping your authority, and not practicing your inspection duties in a totally objective manner... You just put your own integrity into question by doing what you did... You need to reread your duties and responsibilities as an AWS CWI and, from now on stick to the standard or code that's required from the contract drawings for the job in question...

Humble opinions are subjective - not objective... Stay on the objective side of the fence and you'll do fine but, once you cross the line and start to include subjective opinion(s) instead of going by the book you end up shooting yourself in the foot, or end up with your foot in your mouth.:eek::surprised::roll::twisted::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-04-2014 16:24
Burnhard,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Thanks for coming here to get your questions answered.  It is indeed a great place to make a regular source of information for all your needs.

Everyone has made some great points.  Let's see if I can muddy the waters, I mean, add more to your info base.   :lol:

1) There is no restriction in D1.1 as to tools compliant and/or restricted for welder performance qualification.
    a. True, it is curious as to why one would and another doesn't.  Bridges would more regularly have hard to get at joint configuration is my 'guess'.  D1.1 not so much unless it was also a D1.8 qualified joint where you have restricted access and additional testing required because of seismic specifications.
    b. Grinders, air needle scalers or chipping guns, slag hammers, wire brushes- hand or on a grinder, etc are all fair game unless the WPS or other instructions to the welders state otherwise.

2) Inspectors need to make sure of their responsibility before getting into the middle of something.

3) Inspectors need to make sure of all customer expectations and requirements before starting a job.

4) It is not a grinding test, it is a WELDING test.
    a. Having quoted a well known contributor here, it is still important to make this requirement known ahead of time and only if the customer so wishes it. 
    b. For a shop environment where they would have easy access to all these different tools, why would one restrict them even for a test.  It could be said that the Bridge Code goes out of it's way to make sure a person can accomplish his appointed task with what is seen as a minimum amount of equipment because they could get caught in a situation where that was all they had available with no power, air, tools etc to use all the others.  So, they make sure they can pass the grade with a minimum.  Most fabrication is done in shops for structural steel and they have easy access to these.  Comparatively.

5) Why a 3G on a 2" plate?  For welder quals you only need a 1" plate for unlimited qualification.  Per D1.1.  The test should be done with 1" (25mm) then if the employer wants additional testing on heavier components to verify the welders can keep the joint straight after all that stress is added to the joint it is his prerogative to do additional testing and restrict welders from jobs they are not capable of completing properly.

6) Tests should be used as slight educational moments.  Pointing out the variables in the Codes will help the welders understand why one time they can do something one way but the next time they have to do it differently.  Such could your point at the restriction of tools in D1.5 be taken.  But make sure you know where you are going and the acceptable means per the code you are asked specifically to work to.

Again, welcome.  Hope this is helpful.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By burnhard Date 06-05-2014 13:56
Hello Brent,
Thank you for your time in answeing my request. The problem with the use of a grinder is two folds.
The grinder will correct excessive convexity in a 3 g test for example and if the welder is allowed to 'repair" his weld shape by flattening his bead at each pass, then what is the point of doing a out of position test. let him weld flat he wont need to grind!
The grinder will change the penetration depth of a weld if the welder remove the weld completly and then dig into the base metal before depositing the weld. This is frequently done during testing when the Flux cored wire is ran at low amperage in vertical up around 150 amps in order not to loose profile, and then flatten gouged and reweld . I have seen such thing in my jobs where the macros showed good penetration with very low amperage.
Why we use a 50mm plate is because D1.1 qualify pqr for unlimites thickness while the test plate itself is one inch. But on this job we have plates over 80mm till 250mm and we are using the annex table for preheat at 150 C. In Europe we dont use section Three.
I am a L.A certified welder in re bar fluxcored  stick and lite gage and I have never been allowed to use a grinder, except for a pipe certification. I agree with everybody that it is not required by the code and must be part of the testing agency requirements and be included in the WPQR.
I am acting as a consultant for an engineering company and cannot use my AWS credentials since my license is expired. Thank you again for your answer.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-05-2014 16:43
Again, as a witness to the tests it is only one's job to make sure the testing is done per the customer requirements.  So our OPINIONS don't matter.  The FACT is, the D1.1 Code does not prohibit the use of grinders regardless of the inspectors opinion.  How the customer wanted the testing handled should have been agreed upon and followed from the beginning for both you and the welders benefit.

There are many more than two problem areas with the allowed use of grinders but there is no need to go there.  It can be argued, following your line of thought, 'why test welders at all?  They can just keep grinding and welding until they get it right!'  That is not the point.  And one who has to do that much grinding most likely will not pass anyway.  HAZ, slag inclusions, lack of fusion, and other factors will cause the coupon to fail. 

Are these being bend tested?  Macro etch is not a stand alone test for welder qualification.  So just seeing good macros is not important.  And welds run at TOO low of amperage will not stand up to bend tests or especially tensile pulls if it is a PQR. 

Now, if everything were set up right and the witness has the power to enforce proper practices then you would merely fail them early on as the root pass and filler passes would have improper profiles (excessive weld reinforcement).  Use of a grinder does not change the fact that they are not being welded properly.  But, it should be established beforehand to be totally fair.  This is often referred to as 'looked out' or 'visual out' 'visual fail' of the test.  If an improper practice is witnessed then they fail.  Pure and simple.

So, you are actually testing welders already qualified to further qualify them for a project with heavier members?  It does not matter for code acceptance of unlimited qualification if you test over 1".  And where did you get a bender to bend your coupons on something that big?  The bend test is down at 1" so when you cut the coupon 5/16" thick you side bend coupons that are 5/16 X 1".  But a 2" coupon?  Takes a big bender and some muscle.  I could see doing this just to make sure they can use proper procedures to weld heavier sections without undue warpage, interpass temps, etc over and above the original certification.  And then, to only macro etch to check for slag, discontinuities exposed at the cut surfaces, penetration etc makes sense.  I would still like to see it bend. 

Just my two tin pennies worth of rambling with the info as I interpret it.  Not in your shoes so don't know the whole story.

Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 06-16-2014 18:08
Simply said, just comply with the code you are working under, know the Owner's specification and follow it. If the code or specifications doesn't prohibit something don't bring in something that doesn't apply in the current circumstances. Don't go looking for more trouble. I'm sure we could all search through enough codes, whether it's applicable or not, and find something to reject a welder's qualification or a production weld.

If the Owner wants something specific let him take the responsibility. Over stepping your authority can be a job ender and cost the Owner extras.

I can't tell you how many times I have had TPI's come to me as an Owner's representative and say "Over at XYZ company the contractor had  to do this or that". I told them we didn't do things that way and if they wanted to work with XYZ's specifications they should go over there and work. I can make arrangements right now if they wanted.

Just follow the code and specifications. It's a hard enough job without the inspector pulling things out of his hip pocket and using them a requirement that isn't backed up by either a code or specification.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-16-2014 18:26
Wise words!
- - By SCOTTN (***) Date 06-04-2014 12:19
I don't recall anything in D1.1 that doesn't allow the use of a grinder.  As far as I know, it's allowed for cleaning between passes for both welder qualification and production, as well as the use of a chipper and a wire brush.  You make a good point to mention that D1.5 doesn't allow grinding during testing.  I think that D1.5 actually limits the cleaning between weld passes to hand chipping and hand wire brush during a welder performance qualification test, though I've often wondered why D1.5 puts limits on this.  Maybe it's assumed that if a welder can properly use a chipper or a wire brush to clean welds during qualification, that welder can certainly use a grinder to achieve the same results during production.  Surely there have been occasions where a D1.5 welder resorted to cleaning between passes with a grinder during production, but if that welder isn't allowed to use it during the qualification test, why is he/she allowed to use it in production? Maybe it boils down to some production joints not being accessible with a grinder, but the same could be said about D1.1 joints as well.
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 06-05-2014 17:10
What's wrong with using a grinder? If a welder using say low-hys sees some slag trapped and cannot get it out with a chipping hammer why not allow him to use a grinder? What is the damage? If a welder is welding a pipe and the fill is a bit heavy on the bottom before he caps it why not allow him to grind it back a bit so he ends up with a nice even cap? I think this is good workmanship. Now if the fill is hanging with dog's balls and the welder is trying to grind it all smooth then this is where an experienced inspector steps in and terminates the test.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 06-05-2014 19:21
nantong,

Once you allow a grinder in the test booth, then when do you say when is enough?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-05-2014 19:59
Wisdom, experience, and authority.  The decision must be made by someone at sometime.

Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-09-2014 12:10
"Wisdom, experience, and authority"

All subjective.......  This is what you want to invite into a weld testing environment?

Wanted:  One weld test conductor... Filled with wisdom experience and authority...

I like clean, simple, instructions, that cover every contingency...

It takes wisdome experience and authority to produce the instructions... Once they are out there... Just about anybody should be able to implement them :)
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 06-09-2014 13:47
Whatever is allowed in the test booth should be allowed in production, and vice versa.  You can take the qualification test but you're not allowed to use a grinder? You're allowed to use a grinder in production but you shouldn't use one during the qualification test? On one end of the spectrum, and as Lawrence said, D1.1 is silent on the use of a grinder, so it is acceptable.  On the other end of the spectrum, as Brent said, it's not a grinding test, it's a welding test.  Both true statements.  In my experience in qualifying welders, they use a grinder a lot more and for a longer amount of time during the qualification test than they do on production welds, but the results are pretty much the same.  For some reason they just seem to try harder to make absolutely sure on the test, as opposed to what they actually do during production.  A few years ago I had a welder take an unlimited thickness test with GMAW and he ground every single pass smooth and shiny.  I remember it taking him somewhere between three and four hours to finish it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-09-2014 23:39
Lawrence,

I just don't see it that way (said in all kindness as part of a friendly discussion).  As Super asked, when do you call it (paraphrased)?  The person tasked with witnessing the testing should have those three qualifications to the extent needed to call the test according to the predetermined test parameters.  Thus, not subjective at all.  Not per the job at hand and the ability to say 'Enough'. 

Also, I would like to see a set of instructions that covered EVERY contingency.  That would be quite an exhaustive read.  Then, you would truly need a CWI to witness the test with all the applicable code parameters that would need verification.  And, that is no more a requirement currently than is the topic here of refusing grinders. 

There have been many good points made here from both sides of the discussion.  One major one being the agreement from most that the D1.1 does not restrict grinders and that if that is to be a condition it needs to be in a set of instructions that the welder receives prior to beginning the test. 

The personal opinions about why it should be allowed or not all have points worthy of consideration.  It will always come down to the applicable code, the customer's preference, and at what point a consultant gets involved in the process and what his authority limitations are.

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-10-2014 11:35
Hey Brent,

I have my preferences (obviously) but that's all they are...

Honestly,  I wouldn't care about grinders one way or the other as long as the test is conducted consistantly.

I like "predetermined parameters"  or instructions clearly communicated...   As long as we have those... The process is under control and for me that's what it's all about.

You were just my ball of string yesterday :)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-10-2014 16:17
No problem Lawrence.

I have found this to be an informative thread.  Hearing what others think about the use of grinders and how to implement a written policy when the opportunity presents itself for us to be more engaged in the actual conditions of welder qualification. 

I understand what those on both sides feel about the issue.  I also have my preferences.  When asked to qualify welders I explain the process and options to the customer and then, depending upon his responses, to the welder.  I also have two different sets of written guidelines and WPS's to go along with them. 

Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-05-2014 20:12
super,
When you judge that the guy is incapable.
Its not hard.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-05-2014 20:17
Not trying to step on any toes just expressing myself strongly.
Prohibiting grinders in the test booth is F'n stupid.
Its a tool of the trade.
The idea is to find welders who can work for you.
Show me production that does not allow grinders and perhaps then it will apply.
Until then it is no more useful that forcing the welder to weld with one hand tied behind his back.
The guy that passes this test will most likely be better than all the others. But so?
You gonna make him weld with one hand behind his back?
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-20-2014 18:03
I was always told the way you can tell a bad welder is by the sound of his grinder haha

grinder should run less than the welding machine
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2014 03:12 Edited 06-07-2014 10:03
I really don't understand where a welder attempting to pass a Section IX performance test would have need or a grinder. The visual acceptance criteria of Section IX are flimsier than the belly dancer's veil. No visual criteria or limitations for porosity, overlap, undercut, reinforcement (face nor root), etc. It is perfectly acceptable, per Section IX, to weld the ID of the pipe coupon solid such that a mosquito couldn’t fly through it end to end.

I can understand why a mechanical contractor would like to see if the welder can do something other than weld in circles. After all, there is many a welder that doesn’t fit pipe, lift, move, or touch the pipe other than to lay in a couple of pretty, shiny welds revealed only after a helper has chipped, wire brushed, and ground the bead smooth.

The Bridge Code prohibits the use of any power tools for good reason. It is a welder performance test, not a grinder’s test. A bridge welder is expected to have the necessary skills to deposit a sound weld without the aid of grinding each bead.

The Structural Welding Code is not as demanding, but it is in the employer’s best interest to sort through the perspective welders and chose those that don’t have to waste production time removing 50% of each weld deposit to get to the “sound stuff.”

I suppose if the focus of welder performance testing is to pass as many welders as possible, grinding each bead to remove any potential defect is one way to achieve the stated goal. “See, we have a 99% pass rate at our company.” It would explain why I saw a “Tester” representative for one mechanical contractor grinding open defects from the convex face of the guided bend tests and gleefully announce, “Another qualified welder!” By the way, it took three days of testing and practice to get their “Best Welder” to pass a single pass Fillet Break Test.

I am stupid. I admit I have trouble grasping the concept that putting a marginal welder on the production floor is conducive to turning a profit. How does it help the productivity of a production floor if the welder spends 45 minutes depositing weld metal and 200 minutes grinding weld metal to find sound metal that is good enough to keep?

My experience has been that it is more profitable to weed out the marginal welders and keep the welders with the skills that don’t need to use a grinder. Let the marginal welders go to work for marginal contractors.

I suppose if the available labor pool is very limited or if the contractor is too cheap to pay a fair wage, the available talent is limited to a few 10 week wonders churned out by a local training mill or a few welders no one else wants. In that case, there is no alternative other than lowering the skill threshold so the available talent can be utilized.

By the way, there was a study completed by the Air Force a number of years ago that showed that 70% of the welds that failed in service had been repaired during production.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-07-2014 03:35
Another interesting thread! I may have to reconsider my position on this forum going under!
To add my thoughts on this subject, many years ago I had to test out for a job, I believe it was to ASME or maybe API, can't remember, but the client stipulated 'No Grinding' on test pieces, it was an overhead plate test and I was the best welder in the world! No problem I thought! WOW was I mistaken, I had to take a full day to pass a simple 1 inch plate test! The rods were crap and it was 100F in the test house, I was sweating like a pig! But guess what? When I got the job and later became an inspector, my job was easy! I cursed the power that said no grinder but afterwards I sort of saw the logic behind it! However, if use of a grinder or any mechanical tools is not forbidden in the procedure or standard then as I see it, it is allowed!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2014 03:39 Edited 06-07-2014 10:15
Glyn, make no mistake, some of my remarks are pure and simply sarcasm intended to make a point and to grab the reader's attention. There is no doubt that in a production situation a grinder is a useful tool and it make sense to correct obvious defects before continuing. However, as a young welder being tested for powerhouse work, it always amazed me that some welders would have to grind out 50% of each weld bead to pass the test. It never failed that these marginal welders were always the source of the defective production welds. In the end, the time and effort consumed by the initial weld, the inspection, the repair, and the reinspection of the weld reduced the profit to zero or worse. As a result, engineers are often hesitant to utilize welded connections in the field.

Would a trucking firm stay in business if their truck drivers, with marginal skills, crashed one truck on each run. Would an airline stay in business if their pilots, again with marginal skills, crashed and burned on every landing? Yet, some companies evidently see it reasonable to hire welders that spend more time grinding welds than depositing weld. Would it not be better to ensure the truck driver, the airline pilot, and the welder has the necessary skills to produce acceptable work to begin with?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-07-2014 04:07
I know!:cool:
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 06-07-2014 15:26
If this conversation is strictly to the welder qualification criteria in said AWS D's pertaining to Low Hydrogen passes with backing then I can see both points of view. I have no issues with moderate grinding personally. What the person is grinding and how they are using it can say a lot about the individual's skill set. But, to eliminate grinding considering other welding processes or electrodes would be a stretch. Inter-pass cleaning and/or power tools are sometimes specified in the procedure.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-08-2014 04:07
Both posts well stated and great examples Al.  Always depend on you to bring it together with a grand finale. 

Jarsanb,

The title was '...during welder qualification' .

But, the contrast between production, various codes, and welder qualification is well worth taking note of.

Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 06-08-2014 09:00
I think the "No Grind" test is an excellent testing procedure. After all, the test IS supposed to show the welder's skill under usually optimum conditions. Where it really shines is on the 1" plate. The skill required to produce minimum and maximum cap height demonstrates that the welder can plan his progress and make adjustments on the fly. If I'm allowed to set up the test, I typically do not allow any grinding or ring filing of the cap. I will allow grinding and rewelding a new cap.
As I've said to test booth candidates many times; "Most welders are good grinders, but being a good grinder is not the sign of a good welder...."
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-08-2014 21:47
I agree with you John but, that's not the problem of this discussion... The problem is when an inspector decides to self impose rules to change what is allowed in the code he's working from.... Now, if the contract documents call for no grinding when qualifying the welders then there's nothing wrong in not permitting grinding at all... If the EOR is convinced that grinding should not be allowed then that's one way of not allowing it regardless of what the code allows...

The welder may be prevented from going any further in completing the test by failing a visual inspection requirement which in effect, prevents the candidate from using a grinder in the first place but, if the inspector did not witness and perform his/her duty at this point of the VT portion of qualification to 4.9.1 then according to the code, grinding could be allowed because it doesn't say that it isn't allowed... For instance, If the weld root for a CJP groove is inspected and found to have a crack, incomplete fusion, or inadequate joint penetration in the weld root as written in clause 4.9.1.1, the welder can be prevented from going any further with the performance qualification... But if the inspector decides that the welds after the root pass are in their opinion to be inadequate, then where in the code does it allow the inspector to stop the welder candidate from going any further, or state that grinding is not allowed for that matter?

And let myself be perfectly clear about this...I don't agree with allowing the candidates to grind because that's how I learned but, this isn't about me, or thinking that's how I witnessed or, was ordered not to allow during another test that was from a different code/standard... If the code/standard I'm working to does not disallow grinding then I'm not going to prevent it unless it is specifically written in the contract docs, or noted by the EOR - PERIOD.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-09-2014 09:22
I agree with you Henry.
"But if the inspector decides that the welds after the root pass are in their opinion to be inadequate, then where in the code does it allow the inspector to stop the welder candidate from going any further, or state that grinding is not allowed for that matter?"
Though I do have my preferences and prejudices, I am famous for letting ugly go and let the bender or RT, UT (etc.) sort out the hired from the fired.
I know all too well what it is like to drive hundreds of miles to take a test and then fail. Sit outside the gate for a week or 2 waiting for a fitter or structural test opening.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-09-2014 13:07
Henry,
In your argument against grinders you actually clued me in to an argument for grinders.
And it goes back to my own experience. It is simply a fallacy that a welder who passes a test without a grinder is a better welder than a welder that uses one.
Lets say, as your example, the welder has an issue with his weld, perhaps IP or some other defect. To be able to fix that weld is a skill that is at least as important as welding itself. Unless of course you wish to assume every weld in the field is going to be defect free. Which is absurd.
A demonstration of being able to cope with the real world, and fix minor difficulties, as oppose to an ideal test booth condition, is at least as important as laying down a good bead in perfect fit, with all the planets aligned.
I've seen many many fine welders stumble in a test, and in minutes they fixed it and moved on.
The rule of no grinder is artificial. Arbitrary. And of no application in the real world.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-09-2014 12:56
Al,
A welder that uses a grinder is not ipso facto a marginal welder.
And who said you have to prohibit grinding in order to 'weed out' marginal welders?
I've weeded out thousands with our without the grinder in their hands.
Now I suppose if you anticipate incompetent inspectors then you can probably justify placing default limitations on weld tests.
I'm partial the one hand tied behind their back test method.  :smile:
It just seems to me that from a logical standpoint the no grinding rule implies that your inspectors are incapable of the necessary judgment and need a crutch.

Oh, and one more point, the labor pool is almost always limited.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-09-2014 22:36
Considering the labor pool in your neck of the woods, I can understand your reluctance to give up the grinder. :smile:

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-10-2014 12:21
Al,
Actually my reluctance would be explained by a less than 1% average company wide reject rate.
But then, when we test welders we tie one hand behind their back.  :grin:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-11-2014 00:17
Good one.

Al :grin:
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 06-11-2014 11:52
Instead of tying one of the welder's hands behind their back, why don't they just use that one hand to hold up the inspector while they take the test?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-11-2014 15:11
NNAAWWW,

Just make them do it like they work in production...a cup of coffee in one hand, a cigarette in their mouth, no sleep and hungover.  That should make it fair.

Besides, that is so arbitrary.  Would you have them lift me or.... one of our heftier inspectors?  (was that politically correct enough?)

Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-11-2014 16:17
Al, if D1.1 don't say one way are the other why not let them use a grinder because you really get to see if they can grinder or not. I have seen weldor's kill a part by grinding to much out of the base material so you are checking to see if they can grind if they need to. To me grinding is a skill in it's on right.

M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-11-2014 19:43
No, I already recognize that I am not Al.

But, that actually proves the point Milt...It isn't a grinding test,  BUT, why not do a grinding test if you want to see what the applicant really understands about grinding and sanding.  Both on blends, clean up, groove edges, weld profiles, and any applicable surface.

Totally separate from a welding qualification test in all reality.  But, a decent job interview would cover such things.  Mine included layout, plan reading, welding symbols, tape measure reading, using bandsaw, ironworker (shear, punch, cope), grinding, sanding, plasma, torch, and 3 welding processes.  Success was not mandatory.  Wages did depend upon results. 

Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-11-2014 20:05
I posted this to Al but it went under your name.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-11-2014 22:44
No problem, I only said that in an advance jokingly manner to say I realized you addressed Al but that I was going to throw in my two bits worth anyway. 
Well, actually, it isn't worth two bits, it isn't even worth two tin pennies, but, it was an observation pursuant to the context of the conversation. 

Better quit while I'm...somewhere.

- By 803056 (*****) Date 06-12-2014 01:39
We've argued this point on more than one occasion.

Any welding code sets the minimum requirements. It is incumbent upon the contractor to take any additional steps necessary to ensure the integrity of the parts, materials, or assemblies delivered. If the contractor is satisfied meeting the minimum requirements of the applicable code/standard is sufficient, that is all they are required to do. Other contractor can, and often do, go beyond the minimum required by the fabrication standard to ensure the quality of their produces exceed the minimum requirements. They do so to ensure the product delivered will perform as expected in a safe reliable manner.

When the code is silent, it is the contractors/employers call. In this case, whether to permit the use of a grinder during a welder qualification test is the contractor's call.

If the institution is charged with qualifying as many welders as possible and the code minimum is all that is required. Grind away. However, if the welder is expected to produce welded components that meet a higher standard, then the contractor has every right to prohibit the use of a grinder if that ensures a better quality weld.

I typically apply the visual acceptance criteria of the construction code when assessing a welder qualification test coupon. The visual criteria of Section IX is sparse (to put it politely). A welder that meets the visual criteria of Section IX may very easily miss the mark if he is welding to the requirements of B31.3 High Pressure Fluid Service. The visual criteria of the construction code is considerably more stringent that Section IX. It makes little sense (in my opinion) to tell the contractor the welder is qualified (per Section IX) if in fact he cannot meet the requirements imposed for production. It is bad business for the testing agency, the welder, and the employer. Everyone loses when the welder cannot produce acceptable production welds. It is better to provide a fair and proper assessment of the welders abilities to meet the needs of production.

At the same time, the welder should be aware of the "rules" of the test. If there are restriction on the use of a grinder, the condition and extent of grinding permitted must be clearly defined. Any decision regarding the use of a grinder should not arbitrary.

If the nature of the work is such that high quality, high skill is not required, i.e., bench work where the welding position is limited to the flat position, when the work piece is manipulated with a positioner, where grinding is commonly used without restriction, then there is no reason to limit the amount of grinding on the test. Such is not typically the case when the welding is performed in the field, welding is performed in all positions, where the acceptance criteria is stringent, and a higher level of skill is expected, grinding can and often is restricted.

Again, it is the contractor's call when the code is silent on a matter.

If the quality of work is not stringent; the practice of grinding every welded bead, the practice of X-raying the coupon to cherry pick the location of the bend specimens, and grinding the convex surface of the guided bend specimen to remove open defects may be acceptable practice for that particular contractor. However, the contractors I work with would not satisfied with that level of quality or those practices. They hold their welders to a higher standard to ensure the integrity of their products.  

Best regards - Al
- - By Newjersey Date 06-12-2014 14:41
I took the NYC unrestricted welding exam in 86 at the sanitation dept in queens. They searched us on the way in for grinders and welding wire. 3 hour limit on two 1" plates, overhead and vertical. If I had stopped to grind I would never finished in 3 hours. Grinding 60, 80 stories high does pose its problems.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-12-2014 16:54 Edited 06-12-2014 16:57
Since the scope of our operation are such as nukes, fossil steam service, toxic chems, high temp HRSG's, and high pressure natural gas flow lines and wellheads, I suppose in this debate I will have to defer to those dealing with more demanding applications. :grin:
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-12-2014 17:26
Yes, you really should consider getting into some more technical work that demands higher quality on a continual basis  :lol:

Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 06-13-2014 19:25
js55,
Try building a new set of corral fence in literally a knee deep of dried manure.
The grinder can set a fire 30 feet away from you and wont even know it for an hour!
There can be a basket ball sized ember a foot below. Them's can be tough ones to stomp out.
Oh, and like Turd Herders, you don't want to be a nail biter on these gigs!
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 06-22-2014 18:28
Something I find interesting, the WABO standard for welder qualification prohibits welding on roots and covers, but allows grinding anywhere else "with permission of the welder examiner".  So the examiner is specifically provided discretion.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-22-2014 22:32
" the WABO standard for welder qualification prohibits welding on roots and covers,"

Somehow...I think we are experiencing one of those moment of failures to communicate.  I 'assume' you meant to say 'prohibits grinding'.

Would be rather difficult to complete the work if you can't even weld the root in the first place.

Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 06-23-2014 05:02
Haha, indeed, whoops!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-23-2014 13:28
Weebles WABO but they don't grind down.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Use of grinder during welder qualification
1 2 Previous Next