Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Today's Birthdays
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-10-2014 07:33
C'mon!!  REALLY??

I don't care of they NEVER post, this is totally ridiculous.  Don't tell me there's not something underhanded involved in this. 

Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-10-2014 13:50
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear:

tripb (31), pozywsza (43), xkrztilq (44), Odchvita (30), pianp64 (21), jomall27 (30), srebrnykuferek (38), Paul847 (41), rybkitopasja13e (30), tomislaw (36), marcin1967 (41), maja001 (32), pisaniepraclice (29), franciszek1981 (28), romuald426347 (20), pokas24 (27), alfred1981pl (31), marcinekjacykow (41), gadatekc311 (31), BernieSloE (27), UesteEkiert461 (44), Stephanckz (36), Celineukn (23), hw4 (32), Pollynpx (25), klattignacy (27), walter90 (35), ganda388195 (21), guiraticom1985 (25), waltonwilmarth2 (30), maschepper16 (40), cbognar95 (31), wiias984 (37), martaody37 (33), defas10 (22), Moliterno304c (30), spasibawarszawa (43)

Happy birthday to you :)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-10-2014 18:54
Judging by the surnames they must be of some sort of Slavic origin and the  1st country that comes to mind is Russia... But they could also be from any of the Eastern European nations that were former Soviet satellites which is why I'm not 100% confident that these characters originate just from Russia only... They're probably some teenagers showing off how they could hack into famous American institutional web sites... Or just a harmless prank...

However, it might be prudent to run a diagnostic on the home network of the AWS to make sure they didn't plant any Trojans and/or bots (viruses and/or Malware) which if successfully inserted into the server, or anywhere else within the network, can cause mayhem, and chaos to the system and potentially cause the system administrator to start pulling out their short hairs if you get my meaning...

So my advice would be to first check out whether or not all, and I mean all of your installed system applications are currently updated, that the operating system application is up to date, and to make darn sure that all ,and I mean ALL of the installed software applications have the latest security updates and any other update... Check the service packs are installed properly, and enabled also because sometimes just installing the applications, security updates, and any other type of application update may need to be enabled in order for it to work as designed...

The next step would be to check the firewall settings, and configuration as well as to make sure it has at least triple layer firewall protection, and/or an active dynamic firewall hardware installed as an alternative... And to check every application to make sure they have the appropriate permissions, and check for any other potential leak points, or loopholes if you will, that might give any hacker an entry point to bypass the firewall... Look for any open ports (excluded from firewall protection) on the network that can potentially give the hackers a backdoor to enter the server and/or network also...

And make darn sure that the correct network software, and protocols are being used, and have not been altered in any manner - no matter how detailed, and how deep into the system one must check into the configuration settings in order to verify that all the X's and O's are properly configured... Because if you don't go step by step, layer by layer then you may have missed a potential weak point in the security of the system which would leave it vulnerable for further infiltration... Make sure all of the software applications are not only installed, but also working properly because sometimes hackers overload an application with malicious code in order to alter, disable it or to permanently damage it to not work properly so the hackers could sneak into the system via the altered, disabled or damaged application... This is a very common method of attack being used by hackers of Eastern European origin...

So be on the look out to make sure that every installed application is working and configured properly, and also look out for any software that is installed but, you were not previously aware that the specific application(s) was installed... Because that's another trick hackers use in order to breach your security... So make sure every application listed in the firewall are legitimately installed with a specific purpose, and reason for being in the system... Because if an application is listed in let's say for example: "All Programs" but, not listed in the control panel, or within the firewall application security list, then you have found a probable entry point for hackers to use, or are already using to gain entry into the system, and to manipulate it the way they want to which is a very big problem and it must be corrected immediately!

If that checks out okay, I would then run a couple of completely thorough malware scans, and then the antivirus programs currently installed... And if possible to install another alternate anti virus software application that's comparable in robustness with the original antivirus program that's currently installed... In order to check for the possibility that the original AV application may have missed something in the system when it scanned, and the alternate AV application could pick it up as well as to prevent false positives virus or malware detections also... It's really important to remember to disable the original Anti-virus program prior to the installation, and use of the alternate AV (Anti-Virus) application in order to avoid any potential software conflicts... and it's really important to check before running the alternate AV application that a complete scan is the choice to use instead of a limited one...

All of this may take some time, and I know you can't disable the entire network in order to troubleshoot the way I just described, but there's no reason to do so anyway because everything can be done in the background of the running system... Once all of what I mentioned has been completed and nothing is found, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's nothing wrong with the security of the network. because for the exception of troubleshooting the possible hardware firewall if it's even being used as part of the security features of the system, so far the only area's checked have been the software...

The next thing to do is to run a diagnostic on you hardware, and bios/memory/firmware to make sure everything is "copastetic" there also, because after all is said and done, this could also be just part of a prank that a few youngsters typed in when they tried to get everyone previously to check out their websites by listing them in posts throughout the forum sections... So that they could lure us in to there own devious attempt to use as a way to infiltrate any one of our PC's or MAC's without any of us recognizing the intent of their posts... And yet it was too obvious for some of us - if not all of us to be tricked into clicking the links they posted... :eek::surprised::grin::yell::lol::twisted::cool:

Finally, this could also be some residual information that wasn't initially deleted from the forum application that ended up being harmless fragments leftover in the forum application from their attempts to infiltrate individually each of our computers, and to hack any of our systems in order to make them bots which is another story and explanation all together which I'm not going to get into at this time...I'm optimistically leaning towards the last possible explanation I wrote describing what, how and why those names, and birthdays are in the forum system... And I'm confident that the administrators will get to the bottom of investigating why this is happening and repair the problem... All I'm offering is some counsel, and advice to think outside of the box also in order to find a probable cause as well as a solution to the problem so take it for what it's worth.:grin::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::roll::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-11-2014 07:50
You have got to be kidding me!  Today too!! 

Way out of control.  Something is terribly wrong.

Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-11-2014 15:39
I thought we had covered this? Admin said it was too big a problem to put right?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-11-2014 17:25
Yeah, and now see what is happening.  This can't be good.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-11-2014 18:41
my friends
not much I see can be done to stop anyone from getting on here
all they ask is valid e mail address, does aws start asking for more jnfo?
and what info? ip address, phone number?
do they track posters ip address?
and Brent, not good imho
just my thoughts
sincerely,
Kent
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-12-2014 14:41
Day 3 and even more.  Do we really have that many active forum members!!  HARDLY! 

There has to be a way of curbing this before we have a major crash from cyber attacks. 

Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-12-2014 17:50
yes this seems to be a major problem!
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 10-13-2014 15:41
How can you tell from the real birthday's from the fake one's that has never posted nothing.

M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2014 15:29
It's not just that they have never posted anything,  they are brand new to the forum and they have all joined at the same time and with totally bogus names/handles.  And this is now several days in a row.  Why have they descended upon the American Welding Society's Website and this forum? 

The clutter in itself can't be good.  But the motive is what bothers me.

Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-14-2014 16:55
Just don't click on any of the links, they mostly seem to be Polish or Russian in origin.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 10-14-2014 17:32
It looks like AWS would do something about this.

M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2014 18:37
Thanks for the warning Glyn.

Personally, I don't click on a lot of things because with my limited abilities I can't cope with these things like you, Henry, and some others.  I just stay clear of all of it to the best of my ability.  Probably miss some good things because I don't trust them, but, better safe than sorry.

Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-14-2014 19:02
It would be better if the Admin would be a bit proactive and remove this spam. These 'hundreds' of bogus members have zero input into the forum other than at best trying to gain access to your information or entice you to click on some potential malware laden link.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-14-2014 19:19
I agree ....leave these links in the signatures and profiles of these bogus users alone, no telling where they will lead you. Most likely just spam type advertising, but some of these could be sending you somewhere that you do not want to go.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2014 20:21
John,

I have had a lot of people in my life who tried to send me where I didn't want to go!  :lol:

Isn't there something that Henry Chinea, Roque, and our headquarters guru's can do about this. 

A couple of the other welding forums I used to be on used various reporting venues to screen forum members and reject those who had despicable backgrounds.  They could check out their handle, real name, and even IP address and if they had a reputation on file then they were gone. 

I know, AWS doesn't charge for us to be here.  As such, how much money do you spend on a non return drain on the society's finances.  But I would think it would be in their best interest as well as our's and our peace of mind.

Could you at least suggest that someone spend a little time looking into it?  I know it can be done without casting out legitimate participants. 

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-14-2014 20:31
I think Ross has some pretty strong geek skills.  But this Forum is a very small collateral duty for the poor guy.

I think of him like a circuit Judge or Marshall in the wild west.  He makes his rounds when he can :)

With the Expo coming up in mere days, I doubt this makes his radar.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-15-2014 12:28
I believe Lawrence is correct. Tackling the bogus users who sign up daily with new names probably isn't worth the effort it takes to remove them every day. Kind of like the spam when it hits and you guys wonder where I am. If it wasn't for you all sending notifications, a lot of that stuff would not hit my radar either. I check in on the forum on rainy days and when I'm sitting at my desk filling out paperwork or my timesheet, other times I'm out hanging off the side of the structural framework inspecting welds somewhere.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-16-2014 11:34
I'm looking at one right now who is the only one online other than myself.

user name: Boulais64v

I clicked it, and on the profile, the link posted below is to a cleaning business...

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/user_info.pl?uid=100073492
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-16-2014 15:43
It's kind of a no-win situation...ban the spammer's user name today, spammer signs up with new user name tomorrow. Verifying all of the IP addresses against the user names would take some time invested on someone's part and the spammers know this. I guess the return on time invested to right all of these wrongs probably isn't worth all of the extra effort.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-16-2014 18:01 Edited 10-16-2014 18:07
Agreed,

Prolly Ross should be in on this discussion (maybe he has already seen it?) just in case there is some cyber security risk associated with this stuff.

I certainly trust his judgment on whether to act on this or ignore it.

Edit:
Maybe Ross could put in one of those thing-a-ma-bobs where you have to type in the letters and numbers that are all squiggily like and distorted just to annoy the spammers and make them work for the ill gotten gains.

Also likely that this would not be happening if we had embraced the new platform he recommended and I/we fought so tirelessly against :)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-17-2014 00:04
I think the squiggly lines thing-a-ma-bobs idea is an excellent one that has been proven to work on many sites that have had the same issues provided that everything else is locked up really tight and there are no security leaks whatsoever and all of the software has been updated to current builds and their firewalls are up to speed whether or not they are either hardware firewalls (upgraded firmware) or software type firewall designs...

Give it to me and I'll figure it out in no time:surprised::eek::grin::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::roll::smile::wink::cool:

Hey Lawrence, Give Ross my cell # if he wants me to help.:grin:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-16-2014 22:54
Then again, since this is a 'volunteer' (pronounced: 'going broke doing what I like to help others do what has provided well for me') organization, maybe we need some volunteers who would jump in and help.  The question is if there would need to be training to assure very few if any legitimate newbies got the axe?  And can that be done without giving them access to areas where their help would be unappreciated?

- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-18-2014 00:53
The odds of this many new people enrolling and giving out their birthdays for this many days in a row is so astronomical it is not even reasonable.  It is more than obvious there is foul play afoot. 

I hope our guru's are up to it. 

BB
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-18-2014 22:47
Yeah I'm afraid the AWS Forum is under some sort of Cyber/Spam attack or Limited DNS/DDoS attack.....I'm sure the Admin are on to it!

Meanwhile, let me advise everyone not to click, look or even view any websites from any suspicious sites on this web page.

Make sure your computer/Tablet OS (Operating System) software is up to date etc and any virus/malware software is also bang up to date!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-19-2014 02:59
A very good suggestion Glynn...
And like I previously mentioned, check to make sure you firewall is up to date also... Here's another "really?" suggestion... Do not depend on the windows firewall application to protect you PC because chances are that it will be easily overrun from an intrusion originating in Russia, or the former satellite countries as well as China and the Phillipines, etc or even from here in the USA also...

There are some decent 3rd party firewall software application programs that will perform way so much better than the generic windows versions currently available... And many of the best ones offer free versions that you can download from their websites for free and no credit card needed in order to explore and use the application... Then if you feel highly confident that whichever brand you decided to try out is working well above your expectations, you can then purchase the premium version that's an even better firewall that the one you tried out... But before you even choose a firewall application, or any software application for that matter, apply due diligence by finding out what other folks are saying regarding the brand you choose to make you replacement firewall by scouring the online computer magazines and some independent reviewing web sites that beta test these new applications and rate them against their competition...

You will notice some bias in a few of the magazines towards the big 5 security software program application vendors and yet, there are a few that aren't afraid to tout relatively unknown providers over their regular advertising vendors... In short, one needs to read in between the lines... And look for consistency from a firewall app that shows itself being rated in the top 3 irrespective of which web site the reviews originate from... So please do some investigating prior to ultimately deciding which firewall app is the one for you.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-20-2014 00:36
Henry, do yo think the use of a captcha during signing up for the AWS forum would reduce these trolls?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-20-2014 21:28
I actually do... I mean it's probably the simplest and least expensive way to prevent most - if not all of these boneheads without having to completely change the software application which as you already know can be most disrupting until all of the bugs have been worked out.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-21-2014 00:42
I usually hate them with a vengeance, but you may be right!
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-21-2014 11:55 Edited 10-21-2014 12:01
The registered user dates are very random, but the birthdays have been going on for a couple weeks now, and I don't know how much time this would tale up, but maybe the administrators can go back and delete them all, starting with the first mass occurrence of birthdays, after first setting up something where a new user has to be approved to use the site prior to being able to log in and create a profile, because this is not going to stop.  Like some other sites I use, I had fill something out, there was a "box" that had letters/numbers that I had to type, then submit my entry, and then wait for approval to use the site or access any features.  I realize that new and legit users to this forum may end up being deleted, but they could re-apply under a more secure format.  Just a thought.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-21-2014 18:35 Edited 10-21-2014 18:55
Man am I hungry for some spam!:eek::surprised::twisted::grin::roll::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::grin::smile::cool:

Yeah Right!:eek::eek::eek::roll::roll::roll::twisted::yell::lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::yell::twisted::grin::smile::wink::cool:
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-29-2014 19:15
I have also noticed that many of them use the same few avatars in their profiles???? Strange!
I am also wondering how long the forum board will be able to keep up with this influx of spammers and if it has a limit to members?
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-30-2014 06:48
What's this?  I had to recheck and make sure I wasn't dreaming.  Not a single birthday today.

Hello?  Ross?  Are you in there Ross?   

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-30-2014 14:19
I said nice things about Ross in the thread.

Possibly he was rendered speechless :)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-30-2014 19:47
He's probably cooking up some SPAM as I type this.:eek::surprised::grin::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::smile::roll::wink::cool:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-31-2014 00:38
It positively had to be your great charm and wit Lawrence.  :lol:

And again today, one birthday and perfectly legitimate...well, maybe not 'perfectly'.  Really Glyn, 14??  14 what?  :lol:

Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-31-2014 09:25
As you found out on the 'other' post, it was just a test to check the Birthday function was still present! :lol:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-03-2014 23:14
Awe, good place for it Glyn!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAWRENCE!!

For anyone who missed that, it is Lawrence's Birthday today.  And He gets credit for this day all by himself thanks to our watchdogs. 

Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-03-2014 23:25
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAWRENCE! Think I have posted it elsewhere but glad to repeat it!
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-31-2014 02:33
Well, I hope you IT guys are watching...

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!

I hope you know you just made my comfort level jump 100'.  While I do hope there was more involved than just removing the birthday list suspects I appreciate you noticed and took time to see what was taking place.

I know we can be quite a pain around here, but we do appreciate all your efforts to keep this a worthwhile forum.

Brent
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-31-2014 03:16
kylie1435bell14, gabrielle1435go

And here they come.  Two in the last 5 minutes.  Judging by the info shared about them it could easily be the same person.  Too similar and close together in sign up times to not be united in purpose even if they are separate entities. 

Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-03-2014 23:02
Happy Birthday Lawrence!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-04-2014 04:52
THE MATRIX!!!
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-10-2014 01:13
There back.
  M.G.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-16-2014 05:39
Ok something needs to be done about these birthdays! It's taking over half my phone screen up now.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-16-2014 22:52
:lol:  yes, that is important for sure  :lol:
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-16-2014 23:59
I thought they where on top of it a week ago what happen.

M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-17-2014 04:14
At least one of them is bragging about loving security systems.  Not to mention other claims to fame.  And, several of the names, if not all, are by one person.  Don't need to wonder how I come to this information, pretty basic investigations.

Careful as usual what you click on especially links.

Brent
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-19-2014 17:02
It seam like to me that the birthday's are going .

M.G.
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Today's Birthdays
1 2 Previous Next