Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding manganese metal to schedule 80 black pipe
- - By kenbeam Date 06-22-2018 03:31
any advice would help, i have a rock crusher cone i believe is made out of manganese metal and i am going to weld a piece of schedule 80 black pipe to the edge of it along with some support gussets to secure pipe to outside of cone. i have a miller wire feed welder, should i be useing stainless wire and what type of gas i use 75/25 gas for the small jobs i do. i am not a welder by trade so any advice would really help, their are some eye brackets welded in the outside of cone which i do believe stainless was poss used as the welds are not rusty, but i did pick up cone useing them and it weighs about a thousand pounds.. the pipe i am attaching has no safety conditions it simply is a Tube to drop another pipe into that holds a bbq rack, i AM also not concerned about rust as the pipe will be mostly under ground level.. THANK YOU
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-22-2018 10:43
Kenbeam,
how do you know the material is manganese metal? I don't know much about rock crushers but have a lot of experience with ball and roller mills, none of which were made from that material. Can you give more detail about what this is? Maybe post some pictures?
Parent - By kenbeam Date 06-23-2018 02:53
hi Jim ive only been told by a few people that rock crusher cones were made out of maganese, so i did some online searching and found alot of crusher cones are this type of metal, although they can be brittle they are a very hard metal
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-22-2018 11:14
Hi Kenbeam,
Welcome to the Original AWS Forum.

I have no input on your question, but was wondering how you found this Forum?
It's neigh impossible to navigate to from the aws website.

Tyrone
Parent - By kenbeam Date 06-23-2018 03:01
hi Tyrone i came across this forum by accident, i was google searching info about doing some welding on my crusher cone and came across american welding society, i was reading some of the forums and could tell every body here has probably forgotten more about welding than i know , so i just posted my question and am pleased with the responce, i hope this was ok, as i do not really have any knowlege  that will help anybody in return
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-22-2018 12:29 Edited 06-22-2018 12:31
I'm curious about the manganese plate as well. I used to work for a structural fabricator who had a shot blast that had 3/8" thick manganese plate lining the blast cabinet. We used a SMAW rod with high nickel and manganese content but I don't remember the trade name or electrode designation. IIRC it was what the blast mfg. recommended to use when making repairs inside that cabinet.

Edit: one of the maintenance guys used some SS 309 FCAW inside between the plates and all of that cracked at the toes of the welds over in the parent material.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-22-2018 15:42
Found a post where I listed the "Stoody" SMAW rods we used

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?pid=26704;hl=manganese%20plate#pid26663

First, "STOODY" 1/8" Nicromang,
Second, "STULTZ" 1/8" Manganese XL.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-22-2018 15:52
https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?pid=268584;hl=manganese

Scroll down to Jarhead1's post....it may be something in there that can help you.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-23-2018 01:11
The crusher cone is most likely high manganese because of the work hardening characteristics of the steel. The surface of the material is work hardened by crushing the rock so it becomes more abrasion resistant. You will have to grind through the work hardened material (maybe an 1/8 inch or so) so you can weld on virgin material. A simple hardness test will tell you whether you have gone deep enough.

You can use a center punch to test the hardness. Test the unground surface first. Strike the center punch with a ball peen hammer and see how deep the indentation is. Grind a 1/16 inch deep  and try it again, grind another 1/16 inch and test it again. if the last two tests  produce the same indentation, you're deep enough. The trick is to use the same force when you swing the hammer.

You should be able to use fresh E7018 once the work hardened material is removed.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By kenbeam Date 06-23-2018 02:46
thank you AL VERY GOOD INFO
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 06-25-2018 05:49
I spent my career in mining in crushing and conveying. I then spent my time working for Metso Minerals as a Field Service Engineer specializing in gyratory, cone and roll crushers for mining. I have welded hundreds if not thousands of lifting eyes on new and used crusher liners during my career. 99% of the time SMAW is the filler of choice. However I have used a dual shield 309 wire with excellent results and also I have had excellent results with the FC wire as the other post listed by Jarhead1. But you need to realize that large industrial engine driven or three phase welding power sources were used to do this work many times with pre heat also on thick manganese castings. By the weight you listed I’m guessing this mantle is from a small Simons Cone or Omni Cone or similar machine. The work hardening of the mantle will directly depend on what material the machine was crushing. I’m not sure what this application is exactly for or why you want to do it but that’s besides the point. You don’t list what Miller machine you have or are going to use. If it’s a small hobbiest type machine 120/240V Wire feed machine it is quite likely that it will not have the voltage capability to handle welding a thick crusher mantle section. If you’re dead set on welding it with your machine you will quite possibly need to pre heat the mantle before welding the pipe to it. Another solution would be to use a torch with a #3 or larger tip and burn three holes in the mantle that you can bolt the pipe to the mantle. Fit and weld a carbon plate that is bent to match the mantle to the pipe and bolt it to the mantle. Cutting manganese with a torch is difficult compared to steel. But cutting manganese with a torch is much easier than welding it for the novice. If you’re going to weld it cut a coupon out of the pipe material and weld it to the mantle in the center of the area you want to weld the pipe. When you are satisfied with the weld get yourself a four pound or larger sledge hammer and beat the crap out of the coupon and try to break it off. If it breaks off you would be wise to scrap the welding idea all together! Just my .02
Post some pictures or drawings for us if you can. There are a lot of smart and talented people on here that can offer hundreds of years of experience and ideas to help!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding manganese metal to schedule 80 black pipe