Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Never gonna get my shot
- - By Stringer (***) Date 09-05-2014 02:52
I'm 60 now, having achieved my pipe certificate in 1976 and putting a hood on every day since. Around here a shop would cost a million dollars and if I had the million dollars I'm not sure I'd buy a shop. I think the world has done well by me and I try to ignore the fact that our company's largest customer has never thanked me, said hello, or acknowledged my work in any way. I'd have to say that doing it all over again I would not work for any company bigger than ten people ever again. You might get paid, but this is hard hard hard work and I have found it largely thankless. With the really big companies it's a lot worse than just thankless.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-05-2014 04:37
I'm not too far behind you Stringer, age wise and experience wise. 

At various times in my life I have taken a step back and asked, 'What am I here for?', 'Is all of this hard work worth it?', 'Am I making a difference?' and many other questions.

Without getting preachy, at the end of the day I can honestly say, I completed this day with all my strength unto the Lord and any thanks I get here is of little importance to hearing 'Well done, good and faithful servant'. 

The Lord put me here in this time and place, gave me a family to take care of, and responsibilities to represent Him in this world.  I am doing my best to complete all the tasks He has given me to the best of my abilities and to Honor and Glorify Him. 

Secondly is providing for and being an example for my family (Who I think have turned out pretty well even if they could use some help and improvement according to dad).

Next is all others observing me; fellow church members, family, friends, co-workers, and people I don't even know.  I have been very blessed to have people come to me through the years, sometimes years after our paths had originally crossed, and tell me the impact my life had on theirs.  What a joy.  BUT, I don't do it to hear it.  I do it, because it is right and what I need to do to be able to sleep the sweet sleep of those you have no regrets.  Oh, I do have regrets.  But not the kind that rob me of sleep. 

Everyone should evaluate their life.  Ask the hard questions.  But we need to also be able to listen.  Hear that still small voice saying 'Well done'.  That's the one that matters.  All the reputation, honor, money, of this world means nothing; as nice as it would be to get more of all of those things. 

Sure, there are things I may be able to say I'd do different if I could do it over with all I know now.  BUT, I have no regrets on how I did do it.  I'm who I am and where I am by the grace and mercy of God who alone gives power to accomplish anything at all. 

Be careful of the despair blues that often accompany milestone birthdays especially if your family practices all the 'black balloon birthday' items that bring deep soul searching.  Know that we all have those moments.  We all have impacted the lives of others.  We are not failures just because we aren't Donald Trump, Bill Gates, etc. 

I for one am thankful for you and your ability to wonder if you could have done better.  Your input on this forum and desire to share with others.  Your persistence in going to what appears to be a thankless job and doing your part for self, family, community, and country.  And I don't even know you personally. 

Small companies have the same issues.  Many bosses there also forget to say, thank you.  You did good.  Here's a bonus, raise, etc. 

1 Corinthians 16:13-14  Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. Let all your things be done with charity.

We must look beyond self and the thanks we would like to get as hard as that can often be. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Hope I understood your post and didn't muddy the waters.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Plasma56 (**) Date 09-06-2014 07:12
Hi Brent,
I'm not sure about Stringer, but I enjoyed your words.
Humbled by your opinion.  Your always in service. Thank you Brent.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-05-2014 13:51
After many years in the auto/diesel industry I realized this as well and by the time I was ready to do something else I was on autopilot. I would work hard for the required 8 hours, take my lunch and my breaks religiously. When asked to go the extra mile I was reluctant and let it be known to the requester that I was especially when they were informed weeks before about a dinner that evening with the wife. Job was completed, missed the dinner with the wife(countless times) and only thing that was ever asked, "you get that taken care of?".
Parent - By Fit4aking (*) Date 09-05-2014 14:49
Stringer, I work for a company that only has 11 employees including the owner.  It is as thankless as the 300+ employee corporation that I came from.  The only difference is the hours are "normal" and the B.S. is more manageable.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 09-05-2014 21:59
When I was in Dubai they liked my work so much they gave me a free trip to the top of the tallest building in the world.  In sochi the locals took us off-roading and we BBQ'd in the forest.  I've found much greater pleasure in the experiences I've gained than direct compensation.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-06-2014 10:44
I've also worked at large and small companies.  It's all about your peers around you.  If they are good people that you enjoy being around, and working with every day, the negative things don't mean as much.  Your boss has a big influence on your feelings of being appreciated or underappreciated.  There are good and bad bosses everywhere, regardless of company size.

Sounds like your company is lacking in the motivational/people building department.

Tyrone
Parent - By WeldorJoe (*) Date 09-08-2014 17:34
Maybe this will help.

The Light

My eyes have seen what yours have not
My hands have felt the heat
My hairs been burned by sparks and slag
My ears have heard the beat

Hiding my face from vapors harsh
The sweat runs down my cheeks
The darkness shadows ‘round my face
Fresh air around it leaks

The grinding, pounding makes me calm
Soft light I only see
The crackling of ‘lectricity calls
The sound that sings to me

I am content with things I do
No shadows do I fear
Alone, alone in darkest light
Like a moth, it draws me near

The Light that keeps my family fed
For that, I’ll have to cheer!!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2014 15:35
Employers believe that you are being thanked every time they hand you that paycheck. They figure they are showing their appreciation when they provide health insurance. They recognize you each time you are paid for the vacation time you took. Every time they assign you to a task other than  your normal work assignment (rather than laying you off) as their way of saying you are a valued member of the team and they don't want to lose you. Their way of expressing their love is to give you Christmas, New Years, and other holidays off with pay. What more can you ask for?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 09-05-2014 16:41
What more can you ask for?

...an exciting opportunity that will challenge your abilities, expand your skills and reward your contributions in an atmosphere that encourages both personal and professional growth for all.....:wink:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2014 16:56
That's what people write in their job application.

Most employers in the factory setting are still in the Fred Taylor mind set. Simplify, simplify to the point where any trained monkey can perform the task.

Construction is the one industry where the work is still challenging and still depends on the initiative of the individual skilled tradesman to get the work done.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-05-2014 17:18
I’ve always liked the idea of being rewarded for my contributions.  A company I used to work for offered $50 for suggestions from employees that would save them money.  They awarded it to me after I suggested that they should only offer $2.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 09-05-2014 21:57
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-05-2014 17:44
"A bitter heart is it's own worst enemy".  Anonymous.  I never doubted for a minute in the last 40 years of making a living whether during the first 20 years as an employee or the last 20 years as a self employed rig welder then licensed contractor that the equation for work was always a Quid Pro Quo.  That includes never having a moments doubt that my concerns for my own welfare were secondary at best to the concerns of the companies I put my time in with.

They'd drop me like a used you know what the second I was costing them a nickel.  As a result I concluded I owed them not a nickel more in loyalty.  My resume and work history reflects that perspective.  I was always at peace with it.  Eventually I made the decision it would be better to be the owner of the means of production rather than a cog in their wheels.  I did it on my own dime, at my own risk and without any assurance of success.

I measure my success in the satisfaction that the equation has not changed, that I deliver my half of the equation and they are legally bound to deliver theirs.  That "consideration" is a legal term contractually for paying me for my work.  That's the sum of their "consideration".  It's all I expect.  I am a friendly guy but the people I do business with, including the people who were my employers were not friends.  A superintendent I worked under instructed me in an important point once.  I'd lost my temper on a job and exampled behavior that was inappropriate.  He took me aside and told me so, his exact words were, "We're business people".  Lesson learned.

It's likely I would have had at least as lucrative financial success had I simply put in my 40 with a company that offered a decent health package, union wages or close, a retirement package that wasn't an insult and steady work.  The thought of spending those 40 years sitting at the same lunch table, in the same seat, listening to the same conversations didn't appeal very much to me but then they probably wouldn't have appreciated me there either, also reflected between the lines of my resume.

If it would have taken a million dollars to set up I would still be behind a hood on someone's payroll.  I built my last rig for around 10 grand and made 250 grand in the next two years with it.

I'm 59, planning my endgame.  Life requires a strategy to be lived well.  If you're going to look back do it objectively so you can learn from it and correct your mistakes.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 09-06-2014 15:24
I need better writing skills. My employer is my friend. He appreciates me just fine. One of our smaller customers (all are out of state so I never see them) told my boss they were 'tickled' with the welding. That goes a long way when it gets passed down to me. Our largest global customer has not been so caring.
If I made well control equipment for a small company that sold them to Exxon (hypothetical), I could hardly expect Exxon to ever say thanks, regardless of the importance of my work to their goals, right? They're too big and I'm too small, right? Well, after 30 years and I'm still the one guy making their well control thingy and they've suffered no problems, then I think 'peon resentment' or whatever you want to call it is well in order.
I'm not a damned robot.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-06-2014 18:29
No offense Stringer but as far as Exxon (hypothetical) is concerned, They probably think you are a robot! They think that you must be one because the consistent track record in producing all of those "well control thingies" for so many years without one of them failing...Then again, maybe they don't think about it at all... Only the shadow knows for sure.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 09-06-2014 21:58
Stringer says:

I'm 60 now, having achieved my pipe certificate in 1976 and putting a hood on every day since. Around here a shop would cost a million dollars and if I had the million dollars I'm not sure I'd buy a shop. I think the world has done well by me and I try to ignore the fact that our company's largest customer has never thanked me, said hello, or acknowledged my work in any way. I'd have to say that doing it all over again I would not work for any company bigger than ten people ever again. You might get paid, but this is hard hard hard work and I have found it largely thankless. With the really big companies it's a lot worse than just thankless.

I says:

If you were wanting to make acceptance speeches for prestigous awards, have paparazzi hounding you down at the In-N-Out burger, or the press reporting on your latest welding shirt.......... well man you picked the wrong craft.

It would appear to my simple mind that "our largest customer" has thanked you by being, well, "our biggest customer". (Unless you own the company they are not "our customer" they are the bosses customer).
They kept the owners in operation, allowed you to feed your kids, live under a roof, order a pizza on Friday, hopefully retire in relative comfort, what were your expectations on entering the welding workforce, there is no emmy for best welder in a supporting role.
You picked a line of work, you decided to be an employee, now at 60 you're wanting "our biggest customer" to build a statue in your honor.

Good luck with that and I hope they portray you heroically in bronze.

As I'm certain they will me : )

J
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 09-09-2014 12:04
Thanking me and saying hello are the suggestions I made, JTMcC. I can't find the section where I asked for a bronze statue.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Never gonna get my shot