Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The Professor Crisi will be missed
- - By Superflux (****) Date 11-07-2014 19:31 Edited 11-07-2014 19:34
http://www.jornalfanfulla.com/news.asp?noticia=379

I just found this on a search and am very saddened.
As with so many others in here he was friend whom I never met.
We had communicated in here and personally on a few occasions. I even had the chance to see one of the projects he was a Structural Engineer on down in Mendoza, Argentina.
He helped me more than once on welding issues and even assisted me by writing a letter in an attempt by me to get hired on a project (to no avail, but...) in Pecem, Brasil several years ago. I was hoping to visit with him 2 years ago while I was vacationing in South America, but alas Brasil is not an instant visa entry for citizens of the USA and I could not just zip over there on a whim as is the way I so often do things. I emailed him an unfortunately had to cancel our tentative dinner engagement.
I'll be trying to dig a bit deeper this weekend to see if I can locate and personally extend my condolences to his family.
Just thought I'd pass this on for any concerned.
Here is a bit of his legacy and is pertinent to a discussion in here not too long ago.
http://www.vsrtechnology.net/wp-content/uploads/crisi_mendonca.pdf

Peace to you Prof. Giovani Crisi my friend.
I know there is a special place in Heaven for you.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-07-2014 19:41
Oh no.....

John,
Thank you for that (sad) news.....RIP Giovanni, I enjoyed his company here in the forum. He will be missed.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-07-2014 19:58
Thats very sad news! I was too missing his input on here and wondering what had happened to him.

Thank you for taking the time to look him up and find out! RIP Prof!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-07-2014 20:03
Certainly he was a gentleman among us. He will be missed.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-07-2014 20:44
The Professor was a True Gentleman and a Scholar.
Unpretentious and always willing to help. A real Class Act!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-11-2014 21:04
I appreciate that you guys have taken on the extra work to find out more about our friend "the Professor"
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-11-2014 22:05 Edited 11-11-2014 22:08
It is the least I could do to bring recognition and to help celebrate the Life, accomplishments and generosity of such a great man and contributor to our profession.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2014 22:31
Speaking of which, John and John, I could use some help.  Just got an email from Howard in Miami and he wanted to know if we could come up with a decent picture to run with the obit.  Seems that between John, Henry, and other info I sent to them that they have enough text material but are lacking a picture.

I'm pretty sure there were some in some of the links I looked through but I'm kinda busy here at my job until midnight.  I'll look when I can but if you guys could look around as well it would be greatly appreciated.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2014 22:40
This is where it will help in the future that CWI's have their pics on file in Miami and on their CWI ID card. 

BB
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-15-2014 21:58
Brent,
  At your next renewal date you will need to submit a picture. They are now issuing a card similar to ASNT. You will not need to trim it down and laminate it. Much more professional looking.

We had an inspector from one of our customers visit us last week and he had just finished his 9 year renewal and he showed me his. It is a major step up from the old cards. I can not wait for my next renewal!! :lol:

jrw159
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-15-2014 23:16 Edited 11-15-2014 23:18
John,

You mean like the one attached here?  :lol:

Hey, how you and the family been?  Hope all is going well.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!  Computers!!  Have to put it somewhere else so I can attach it.  I have one.  They look good for sure. 

Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2014 23:13
Found one and sent it.  Not very good.  Hopefully they can use it.  I'm going to keep looking.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-07-2014 22:20
As others have said John, sad news indeed but thanks for sharing. He will be missed and his unique perspectives and wealth of experience will be missed as well. Rest In Peace, Prof. Crisi. Best regards all, Allan
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 11-07-2014 22:30
Most upsetting... He will be missed.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 11-08-2014 11:30
Sad news indeed.  A great contributor to the science of Welding.
Tyrone
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-08-2014 20:19
Thank you for letting us know what has sadly beyond words happened to Professor Giovanni Crisi and, thank you for taking the time to find out as much as you can regarding his family and friends in Brazil.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-09-2014 10:13
Very Sad. A tremendous contributor to my knowledge and understanding.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-11-2014 18:25
http://www.jusbrasil.com.br/diarios/741889/pg-25-secao-1-diario-oficial-da-uniao-dou-de-18-10-2004

I found the following info from the site posted above.
I am assuming this must be from his days as an Erection Engineer at the Lujan de Cuyo refinery in Mendoza, Argentina and similar projects.

GEORGINA Crisi - W127755-7, a native of Argentina, born on October 10, 1971, daughter of Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi and Norma Gladys Momo of Crisi, residing in the State of São Paulo (Process No. 08505.014867 / 2004-13);
PAUL CRISTIAN Crisi - W127759-0, a native of Argentina, born on September 18, 1966, son of Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi and Norma Gladys Momo of Crisi, residing in the State of São Paulo (Process No. 08505.014869 / 2004-02);
SERGIO Crisi - W127756-5, a native of Argentina, born on January 18, 1964, son of Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi and Norma Gladys Momo of Crisi, residing in the State of São Paulo (Process No. 08505.014868 / 2004-50);

April 23

> "GIOVANNI SEBASTIANO Crisi" - 78 YEARS MARRIED WITH MARY APPEARED de Moraes, 04 LEAVE CHILDREN, resided THE CITY OF SÃO PAULO / SP.

Portugese translations are a bit confusing. I had a hard enough time learning English.
I am very new at research such as this. It is all I have found at the moment.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2014 20:22
Thanks John,  I sent that along with my poor attempt at an obit to the editors of the Welding Journal.

BB
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-16-2014 09:47
Hi John, Brent

These are the names of his sons and daughter below...

"GEORGINA Crisi - W127755-7, a native of Argentina, born on October 10, 1971, daughter of Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi and Norma Gladys Momo of Crisi, residing in the State of São Paulo (Process No. 08505.014867 / 2004-13); = Daughter

PAUL CRISTIAN Crisi - W127759-0, a native of Argentina, born on September 18, 1966, son of Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi and Norma Gladys Momo of Crisi, residing in the State of São Paulo (Process No. 08505.014869 / 2004-02); = Son

SERGIO Crisi - W127756-5, a native of Argentina, born on January 18, 1964, son of Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi and Norma Gladys Momo of Crisi, residing in the State of São Paulo (Process No. 08505.014868 / 2004-50); = Son"

*Note that Norma Gladys Momo of Crisi was Giovanni's 1st wife with her maiden name being Momo... And because they married it is written "of Crisi" to identify the last name of the husband...

"April 23

> GIOVANNI SEBASTIANO Crisi" - 78 YEARS MARRIED WITH MARY APPEARED de Moraes, 04 LEAVE CHILDREN, resided THE CITY OF SÃO PAULO / SP." This is roughly translated from this:

“GIOVANNI SEBASTIANO CRISI” – 78 ANOS, CASADO COM MARIA APARECIDA DE MORAES, DEIXA 04 FILHOS, RESIDIA NA CIDADE DE SÃO PAULO/SP.

"MARRIED WITH MARY APPEARED de Moraes"... Married to Maria Aparecido de Moraes" (A sur name primarily and sometimes a given name that is exclusive to Brazil... and can also be translated as Appeared in both Portuguese and Spanish but in this application, it means her sur name)... *His second wife... Here are some examples of Aparecido:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aparecido 

"DEIXA 04 FILHOS," = "04 LEAVE CHILDREN" = Leaves Four children... So the clarified translation is this:

Translation: "Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi - 78 years, Married to Maria Aparecida de Moraes, Leaves 4 children, Lived in the City of Sao Paulo, Brazil."

Note; "Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi nasceuem Milão, Itália." =  Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi was born in Milan, Italy in 1936...  This is written in Brazilian Portuguese which is slightly different, found on page 4 of 6 under the red colored heading on the left of rhe page: "O brasileiro de Milão" translated means: "Oh Brazilian from Milan" in the link to the .pdf below... The rest of his bio can be found on page 4 of 6 in this .pdf which I have already previously posted in this thread...

And on page 3 of 6 in the .pdf is a photograph of Giovanni smiling while in the welding lab with goggles on his head and holding an oxy-fuel welding torch with his right hand... And he's quoted: "Solucionar problemas é trabalho que me diverte"  translated means:"To solve problems it is the work what amuses me."
You can review all of the above in this .pdf:

http://www.mackenzie.br/fileadmin/Editora/Revista_Mackenzie/pdfs/m27/pag42ba47.pdf

This should clarify any confusion in translating from Brazilian Portuguese and traditional European Portuguese.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-15-2014 23:11
Sorry to hear this. He was a font of wisdom on this fine forum.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-07-2014 20:46
A personal moment of silence thanking the good Lord for the opportunity to learn from such a man, and more than just welding was taught.  He was indeed a gentleman who seldom 'lashed' out at those he may have disagreed with.  If only.... time and effort, we all can.

Looks like about 6 months ago if I am seeing dates correctly. 

John, from me as well, thanks for having thought about looking him up.  Not the news any of us likes to hear but it is good to know.

Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 11-08-2014 04:54
We rarely experience gentlemen of his caliber in any profession...this is a sorrow indeed.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-08-2014 05:27
You said it John....Gentlemen...  While I only had a few talks with him....I always appreciated his candor and his like almost automatic professional respect....even after or during a discussion he realized you were a complete and utter idiot he still treated you in a very human way!!!  The man was extremely intelligent but had not an ounce of condescending attitude within any part of him.  I will miss him.  He is one of the rare few that can impart wisdom to anyone, any type of person.

God Bless you Giovani!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-08-2014 06:11
Bump

the powers that be please make this a postable sticky
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-08-2014 11:23 Edited 11-08-2014 11:25
I am at a loss for words to describe how I feel about this sad news and the one thought that comes to mind is why him and not me? I mean, I don't understand, nor do the Doctors  of why I'm still here and getting better every day when not too long ago i was supposed to be terminal and by now already passed... Just last week or so I posted about Giovanni and how he would always begin a story with: "Back in the days when I was an Erector engineer, etc." And what always followed that line was an excellent story about a project he was working on and there was always a teachable moment in all of his experiences that I'll never forget... Man this is so sad:cry::sad::sad::sad:A really Stand Up guy in my book!

I can also remember on project i was working on and I needed to either design or purchase custom made pi0e clamps and was describing the detail to him and without any hesitation he asked for my home address and told me he was going to mail me a copy of an older Mathey Dearman pipe alignment and reforming clamps... Sure enough, 3 or 4 days later, a package arrives from Professor Giovanni Crisi and he mailed it from the university he was teaching at because it was stamped with the university's name all over it, and copied the entire catalog from one of the copying machines he had access to...

Like everybody already mentioned, Giovanni was the kind of person who would take off his own shirt for you so you could be better off and now sadly we must mourn his passing... However, and rest assured old friend in knowing that we shall miss you immensely and never forget you and who you stood for mi amigo... I just hope that he didn't suffer too much even though it's hard not have pain & suffering with Cancer... Adios Amigo! Que te suena bien Caballero!:sad::sad::sad:

Here is a translation of the page link that Superflux posted previously in this very sad thread...

"DAY 23/04/2014 DIED THE PROF. GIOVANNI CRISI IT DATES: 25/04/2014

( Collaborator and Columnist)
We lament to communicate the death of the Prof. Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi, friendly and excellent ex-colaborador/colunista of the Newspaper FANFULLA, was a personality well known in the community Ítalo-Brasileira. It came to leave us on the 23rd of April, after difficult struggle against a cancer. 

The funeral thing took place in the Cemetery of Itu - SP, in the morning of the day 24. The Mass of seventh day Our Lady will be celebrated on Wednesday, day 30/04, in the Church
of the Peace situated to the Street Glicério, 225 (Sao Paulo - SP), from 19 h.

Giovanni Crisi was a person of intelligence and humility notable. His lack with all certainty will be very hurt. THE FANFULLA is joined to the pain of the family and of the friends." 

I hope the AWS writes at least a paragraph on Professor Crisi because he most definitely deserves at the very least that sort of courtesy, don't you all think? If anyone wants to start the ball rolling, I'm all ears and eyes...

Here are his stats:

Giovanni S. Crisi
Occupation  Professor at Mackenzie University
Hobbies          Answering questions on the AWS website
Location          Sao Paulo - Brazil
Statistics
Posts           2132 posted, 2101 existing(****)
Registered  04-18-2000 15:24 -------->He was here since April, 18th, 2000!!! He just made 14 years in here a few days before he passed... Here's the link to all of his threads if anyone wants to reminisce... I know I will!

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum_search.pl?words=;user=G.S.Crisi;min=0;max=0;board=;field=body;order=desc;pg=1

A real friend is lost... We lost a gem of a man.:cry::sad::sad::sad: Rest In Peace Giovanni.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 11-08-2014 15:18
I am so sorry to hear of his passing.  A couple weeks ago I posted a link to an article that he had co-written.  The article had his email address at the bottom.  I sent him an email asking him why he was no longer posting on the forum, and that I, among many others appreciated his knowledge and input and that his contributions have been missed.  I received an email that said "a problem occurred during the delivery of this message." I just assumed that his email address had been changed sometime after the article was published.  Oh my God.  This is such a shock for me, as I had a lot of respect for him.  I've found this quote from Helen Keller to be a source of inspiration for me on more than one occasion, and now, once again with Professor Crisi...  "What we have once enjoyed, we can never lose.  All that we love deeply becomes part of us."

God bless you, professor.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-08-2014 17:17 Edited 11-09-2014 13:26
Henry,

I sent a full copy of your post to Rhenda in Member Services.  Plan to get it to Howard at the WJ as well.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I told her I just wanted to make sure (oopps: edit: make sure they knew and published because) we had lost a good man. 

Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-08-2014 20:54
Sent to Andrew and Howard, editors at the Welding Journal.  Hopefully someone will take care of proper publication of the announcement.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-09-2014 00:00
Henry,
I will start the bowling (ie roll the ball)
Ross and esab put the ad $$$ to a worldwide fund for welding education in Dr. Crisi name
from my family to his our deepest condolences.
good person, glad to have been acknowledge by him
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-09-2014 04:55
Got a response from Miami, they want all the info appropriate for an obit that we can gather. 

Let's see what we can come up with that won't swamp them with things they can't use.  Put it together in a brief obit style 'report'.

Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-09-2014 15:25 Edited 11-09-2014 15:29
Well then,

1.) Here's an article he co-authored for the AWS Welding Journal published in the February 2012 edition - titled: "How Often Can Joints Be Cut and Rewelded in Low-Carbon Steel."

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/aws/wj_201202/index.php?startid=25

2.) Then of course there's the paper he co-authored on VSR technology which Superflux posted previously in this thread titled:
"STRESS RELIEF OF WELDS BY HEAT TREATMENT AND VIBRATION: A COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TWO METHODS."

http://www.vsrtechnology.net/wp-content/uploads/crisi_mendonca.pdf

3.) This is an article written in the Mackenzie University magazine called: Mundo Mack which literally means "Mack (for Mackenzie University) World" and it describes the work Professor Crisi contributed in writing: " International Index Of Welding Filler Metal Classifications Compiled by the International Institute of Welding Commission II" and published by the American Welding Society... The list of contributors in this commission included: Argentina: Estela Surian, Australia: Milo Dum????ic, Brazil: Giovanni Crisi, Canada: Lea Roberts, China: Paio Duonggang, Europe: David Widgery, Lennart Wittung, Vince ?, ISO: David Widgery, Damian Kotecki, Japan: Shinsake Tsutsumi, Yoji Nakai, Russia: irena Schmeleva, Yuri Kouskov, Elena ?, USA: David Thomas, USA (AMS) Richard Lafave...

This article touched on the Giovanni's penchant for accuracy as he pointed out various differences in the way the US customary units of measurement were being incorrectly interpreted by some of the commission members and how well he was admired by his peers in the article also... The .pdf article also has an image/photo of Giovanni in page 3of 6 showing him with an oxy-fuel welding torch on one hand and his goggles on his head with a smile - how appropriate! Another tidbit regarding Giovanni Crisi was the fact that he wasn't born in Brazil and instead, was born in Milan, Italy and came to Brazil after a career as an Project field engineer and a Chemical engineer working for various large corporation establishing some of their facilities in Argentina primarily but also in many other South American countries too..

Please note that the article is written in Brazilian Portuguese which is not so simple to translate (at least for me it isn't) and when I attempted to do so , I realized in very short order that it was going to take some considerable effort on my part to do so... in other words, it would take to long for me to get a credible and literate translation with complete accuracy word for word and I don't think there's enough time for making such an effort before the next publication of the upcoming WJ where this information could be used... However, I'll keep trying to see if I can swing it nonetheless... Here's the link to the .pdf article and it starts on page 3 of 6 in the .pdf:

http://www.mackenzie.br/fileadmin/Editora/Revista_Mackenzie/pdfs/m27/pag42ba47.pdf

Here's a You Tube Video Titled:  "PROF. GIOVANNI SEBASTIANO CRISI - THE BEST SPEECH OF THE NIGHT, MOVED TO ALL OF THE AUDITORIUM BARBOSA COLLAPSES WITH HIS SPEECH SUDDENLY FOR THE FORMANDOS IN ENGINEERING OF MATERIALS OF THE UNIVERSITY MACKENZIE...

A rough translation of course and I believe the title should read translated like this:

"Professor Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi Moved all in the Barbosa Auditorium with the best speech of the night with his passionately improvised speech urging the graduates on upon their graduation from the Materials Science Engineering program at Mackenzie University to go forth in discovery and research so that one day you too will enjoy the pleasures of passing on what you learned as a professor like myself and watching how your students developed form confused freshmen to becoming genuine Material Science engineering graduates and to never lose the passion they have for learning..."

A wonderful speech if you could understand it and even for me it wasn't all that simple because Giovanni didn't speak always like a native Brasilano... He sort of mixed Brazilian Portuguese, Italian of the Northern Italian dialect which is very different than what is often spoken in the movies (Usually either Roman, Napolitano, or Sicilian) and if one is not used to hearing regularly this combination of languages and dialects, one could easily misinterpret their meanings and the context of their use... Nonetheless the video does finally give a face as does the previous article of Giovanni and one could easily read and observe just how amicable and friendly as well as passionate Giovanni was when he communicated with others...
This is a video I will certainly cherish! R.I.P and "Alla prossima - Stammi Bene - Buona Notte - Ciao" Professor Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi! Here's the link to the speech:
                                                                       (Until the next time - Take Care - good Night - Good Bye)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHU48yi3mf0

4.) Here's another paper he co-authored describing the implementation of a suitable and practical Welding shop to teach mechanical engineering students practical welding and is titled: "IMPLEMENTATION OF THE WELDING SHOP AT THE ENGINEERING SCHOOL OF MACKENZIE PRESBYTERIAN UNIVERSITY: A SUCCESSFUL EXPERIENCE" Unfortunately it is also written in Brazilian Portuguese so translating will not be as simple as one would easily assume... I'll try my best though... Here's the link:

http://www.abenge.org.br/CobengeAnteriores/2005/artigos/SP-5-64294927887-1118324464966.pdf

5.) This is a copy of Giovanni's course Outline written in Brazilian Portuguese:

http://www.mackenzie.br/fileadmin/Graduacao/EE/Engenharia_Mecanica/Planos_2013/Sistemas_Termicos_II.pdf

6.) There were two courses Professor Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi taught @ Mackenzie University in Sao Paulo, Brazil...One of them of course was Welding Processes, and the other was Thermal Energy and Fluid Dynamics... Here is a list of the Professors teaching the various courses @ Mackenzie University's Mechanical Engineering program... Giovanni is listed 1st and 4th tier:

http://www.mackenzie.br/fileadmin/Graduacao/EE/TGI/linhas_de_pesquisa_mecanica.pdf

I don't feel like condensing it so go ahead and do it for me Brent... I'm tired and need to get some zzzz's You can do it!:grin:

Well, that's all I could come up with for now but as soon as I find more I'll post it...  Addios Mi amigo Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi y de todos mas aqui tambien.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-10-2014 17:25
Okay Henry, it's not much, but here is what I sent to Miami to be submitted for an obit in the Welding Journal:

'Professor Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi passed away on 04/23/2014 after a difficult struggle with cancer.

According to the Bolivian paper FANFULLA Prof, Crisi was " a friendly and excellent Collaborator and Columnist."  He was also "a personality well known in the community." 

Prof Crisi was a Professor at Mackenzie University in Sao Paulo, Brazil and taught classes for their Mechanical Engineering Program. 

Prof Crisi was an AWS member since 2003 and a frequent contributor to the AWS Welding Forum since 2000 having contributed over 2000 posts of interest on the forum.

Prof Crisi wrote articles regularly and was published locally as well as in the AWS Welding Journal and other publications in both North and South America.  He aslo gave several talks to various organizations and was passionate about the science of welding. 

He will be missed greatly by family and friends.'

Miami is checking to see what other info they have to add to the obit and then edit it for their use and publication.  They are looking for info such as: age, education, etc that would be of interest in an obit.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-11-2014 15:05
That magazine FANFULLA is Brazilian Brent, not Bolivian... Big difference between those 2 countries buddy...:grin:

I think the only way we're going to get his birth date and education is by getting in touch with the HR people @ Mackenzie University or if Superflux knows anyone related to Giovanni that might have that sort of information so, I'm going to try Mackenzie and you can work on Superflux to see if he's got anymore info on Giovanni... Gotta go.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2014 15:56
OOPPSS!!  Thanks Henry.  I'll send a note on that one to Andrew and Howard.  Hopefully they would have caught it anyway.

BB
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 11-11-2014 17:20
I have just emailed (in english) someone at Mackenzie, asking for any information they can provide.  I got their email address from this link:

http://www.university-directory.eu/Brazil/Universidade-Mackenzie.html#.VGI_DGdtiho

The email address: secgeral[at]mackenzie.br

Here's what I asked.  I just got a response, but I don't know what it says.....

I'm a member of the American Welding Society Forum in the United States.  Professor Crisi was a great source of information and he was very helpful to many forum users.  Forum users had a lot of respect for Professor Crisi and we are all shocked and saddened to hear of his passing on April 23, 2014.  We hadn't heard from him in a few months and we were unaware of this until a few days ago, when I posted a link to a welding article that he had co-authored.  After that post, some of the forum contributors were asking about him and that's when we found out.  Forum members have since contacted the American Welding Society about posting his obituary.  Could someone at the university please provide us with some information on him, such as his age, his education, his background, experience, etc.  Anything that would be of interest to the welding community that could be added to his upcoming obituary.  We will pass it on to the American Welding Society.  Thank you in advance for your help. 

The response:

Resposta automática: Giovanni S. Cris

Seu e-mail foi recebido e caso o assunto não seja pertinente a este setor, encaminharemos ao responsável.
Aguarde retorno.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2014 20:15 Edited 11-11-2014 20:17
Resposta automática: Giovanni S. Cris

Seu e-mail foi recebido e caso o assunto não seja pertinente a este setor, encaminharemos ao responsável.
Aguarde retorno.

Automatic Answer: Giovanni S. Cris Your email has been received and if it is not relevant to this sector, we will forward the charge. Wait return.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 11-10-2014 00:30
I wondered why we had not heard from our friend.

He will be missed.

Rest in peace my friend.

Al
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2014 01:39
WOW!

I've gotten almost through the first three years of his posts here. 

What wisdom, experience, and knowledge and even after all that a great thirst for more knowledge.

After over 35 years in welding and engineering he started teaching sometime before 2000.  That puts his years in the trade at around 50 anyway.

And the care he took answering questions and searching for answers if he didn't know.  Then, as has been previously mentioned, he would send anyone who requested info the documents at his expense. 

Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-13-2014 11:50 Edited 11-13-2014 11:59
Hey Brent,

Here's a pretty good bio on Giovanni which I put together from a variety of sources and compiled together into two paragraphs...

“GIOVANNI SEBASTIANO CRISI” – 78 ANOS, CASADO COM MARIA APARECIDA DE MORAES, DEIXA 04 FILHOS, RESIDIA NA CIDADE DE SÃO PAULO/SP.

Translation: "Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi - Born 1936 in Milan Italy, 78 years, Married to Maria Aparecida de Moraes, Leaves 4 children, Lived in the City of Sao Paulo, Brazil." Giovanni Sebastiano Crisi and his family moved to Argentina at a very young age of 8... Graduated from UNR (University National Rosario) Faculdade de Santa Fé, in Rosário, Argentina in 1973 with Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering. Went on to live in Brazil and becoming very instrumental in organizing the ABNT (Associação Brasileira de Normas Técnicas) standards for welding filler metals to be in synch with the IIW (International Institute of Welding) and ISO standards. He was also  involved with the IIW Catalog of the International Index of Welding Filler Metal Classifications complied by the international Institute of Welding Commission II and written for the American Welding Society.

In 1989 he was asked to join the ABEQ (Brazilian Association of Chemical Engineering). Worked as both a Project Engineer and Chemical Engineer on a variety of infrastructure and Petro-Chemical Capital projects all over South America... In 1990, he was asked to teach @ Mackenzie as an adjunct Instructor which lead to teaching full time as a Professor where he taught various subjects including Material Science & Metallurgy, Selection of Materials, Chemical Process Engineering & Operations, to eventually settling to teach 2 complete program courses in Welding Processes and Thermal & Fluid Systems until his passing @ The Department of Mechanical Engineering, Mackenzie Presbyterian University in Sao Paulo, Brazil for a total of 24 years sharing his experiences and wisdom. Giovanni published a variety of papers published world wide and two papers made it into the AWS Welding Journal... He was an invaluable contributor in the AWS Welding forum, The advancement of the Science of Welding Technology and he will be missed greatly by his peers.

So this should be satisfactory for the AWS journal at least for the obituary with a little condensing if necessary.:cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2014 15:23
Henry,

Well done and a very big thankyou.  I sent it as is to the editors for them to decide how to use.  I also found a pic that apparently they are going with.

Thanks John and Henry.  Team work can make it happen.

Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-13-2014 16:39
Well then post the pic Brent...

Did you see the video I posted in the previous post of this thread? That video captures his personality and his passion for learning and sharing what he has learned to anyone willing hear him out... "Remember to talk with your peers... Not down on to them" A quote from Giovanni.:grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2014 18:34
Oh great!!  I'll have to look for it.  I didn't download it, just sent it to Miami.  Don't remember where I found it.  But I did send them the link for that video as well.  They were very positive about it.  Thanks again for that last obit post you made.  I copied it and sent it as is to them.  You did real good Henry.  Your ability with the language helped I'm sure.  There were things put together there that I hadn't been able to pull out.  And I did go through all the links and many of his posts over the years.  Shoot, I even did a Google search on him and read all kinds of things.  Quite a guy for sure.

Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-14-2014 15:33
I try, I try.:grin:
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 12-01-2014 03:01
RIP Prof Crisi:sad:
- By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-09-2014 01:48
Being a cancer survivor I cringe at the word cancer. RIP.
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-15-2014 23:57
BTW,  Don't remember if I already said something about it, But the editors informed me that his obit should show up in the January issue of WJ.  We were a little late to get it in December but you should see it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again to all who helped with info and especially you Henry.

Brent
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-04-2015 00:39
Anyone who is still following this, take a look at the just arrived issue of the Welding Journal, page 79, Obits. 

Not as much as I would have liked but they do have space constraints and did a pretty good job.

Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-05-2015 21:55
You gentlemen did a fine job of making sure our good friend received some of the recognition he deserved.

I can only say thank you for your efforts.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-07-2015 13:14
I just read it.  He had a wealth of knowledge.  We're fortunate that he shared a lot of it here, and it's always nice to put a face with a name.  I wish that R.I.P. meant Return If Possible.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The Professor Crisi will be missed