Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aws is about money
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-19-2013 05:22
I said it. Certification is insane. Every job I've been on in the last two years that involves certified welders.....I just want to pack it up and call it a loss.

I think I will call my my business, "sourdoughs certified welders repair service".

Will this trade come back?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 06:02
Explain please.

Certification is simply a demonstration that the welder has the minimum skills required to deposit a sound weld. I emphasize the words "minimum skill." Certification does not mean the welder has superior skills or talent. It simply means he or she has the minimum skills needed to make a weld that meets some minimum level of acceptance. Certification doesn't mean the welder has skills or talents beyond making a simple weld on plate or pipe. The level of skill required is dependent on the type of welding being performed. It does not mean the welder can layout work, hell, the welder may not even know how to read a ruler with fractions or how to read a drawing.

Some companies take it a step further by requiring the welder layout and tack their own test assembly. I have one client that makes their "top" welders layout, prepare, and weld a miter joint on 14 inch diameter aluminum pipe as part of their in-house qualification process. These are company invoked requirements. They have nothing to do with code requirements.

I always viewed the welder qualification test as an opportunity for the employer to assess the skills and temperment of the new candidate. The cost is minimal compared to the cost of hiring someone that cannot do the actual work. Still, all you hear about is the high cost of testing welders. In my opinion, testing the welder is money well spent. It separates the welders with the minimum skills from those with inadequate skills. Failure to assess the welder's abilities is short sighted and in a word "Stupid."

While managing a fabrication department that constructed pressure vessels, I required each applicant to take a very simplified test. It was nothing more than sketch of a simple T-joint they had to assemble, tack weld, weld with a single pass fillet that was subjected to a visual examination. No size requirement for the fillet made in the horizontal position on carbon steel plate. It was amazing how many applicants (send by HR as being well qualified) could not set up their own machine. Each had "documentation" indicating they has passed ASME qualifications previously. HR went ballistic when they caught wind of what I was doing because of the liability involved. My position was it would be more expensive to put a fellow on the payroll only to find out the individual lacked the basic welding skills needed. We evaluated a number of applicants, but in the end I weeded out the want-a-bees and got several really talented welders that could work from drawings and do their own layout.  The goal was met.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-19-2013 12:23 Edited 12-19-2013 16:50
Al,
Very good points. I am a firm believer in “the quality of the welder starts at the test booth” Sourdough is experiencing what most of us experience in trying to get good qualified (not just certified) welders. On my projects I tell our QC mangers that you have to draw the line in the test booth. Because if you don’t you will be paying for it in the field with higher reject rates, more man hours spent with welders that are constantly having issues. We finished a 750 coal burner about 4 ½  years ago. We had a 65% reject rate in the test booth but had a less than 5% reject in the field on tube welders. We were running tube welders though tube simulators like cattle trying to get good welders. Many a time HR and boiler superintendents would complain about us being too tough in the test booth but when you are, it usually pays off in the field.  When I go to our projects, that is the first thing I talk to my QC manager about. “what is your reject rate in the test booth” because I know it is somewhat of an barometer of the quality of welders in the field.
Just my thoughts.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-19-2013 13:17
In my experience, a certification only means that a welder welded good enough that day to pass the test.  Though there are some welders who I have very few issues with their production welds, some welders don’t put forth the same effort into production welding that they do during a weld test.  I know that speed in production is critical because it reduces the man hours, but the welder's workmanship still has to meet codes and specifications, and being in a hurry can never be an excuse for sub-par work.

I’ve had some experiences with “welders” who have applied for a job and tell me that they can weld anything.  So, while a “welder” fills out an application, I’ll go out to the shop, set up a fillet test, and change the settings on the shielding gas and the machine.  After he finishes filling out the application, I take him out to the machine and show him the WPS.  I tell him to set the gas and the machine per the WPS, get the feel for the machine and the settings, and make a couple practice welds if need be.  Then when he’s ready, run a couple ¼” fillet passes on the plate I set up, and then check it with a fillet weld gage.  It never ceases to amaze me how many “welders” can’t do this.  These are the same welders that tell me they can weld anything.  There's a lot more to the process than just running a bead.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 15:38 Edited 12-19-2013 15:40
What we attempt to do is separate the rod burners from the welders.

Again, this is where the philosophy of the ATF and I part ways regarding the activities that take place in the test booth. The AWS philosophy with regards to the ATF is the welder is only required to know how to deposit a weld that meets the minimum code requirements. A trained monkey can pass a test administered by an ATF that tests the welder under ideal laboratory conditions.

I look at welder qualification as a means to evaluate the welder's skill level, work ethic, and ability to deposit sound welds. The welder taking my test has to follow the WPS, set up his own machine, assemble the test coupons as per the applicable sketch, and do so in a timely manner. That's the reason why my clients use my services; to weed out the "want-na-bees."

There are production situations were everything is assembled for the welder, the shop foremen or lead welders set the machines for the welders, and the welder is only required to dump weld metal onto  or into the joint. If that is the case, my qualification test replicates those shop conditions. However, shops that operate using the Frederic Taylor approach typically pay low wages and have a very high turnover rate. There are few welders that thrive in that type of environment. I have worked with a couple of aerospace companies that still operate that way. Some of the welders  have welded the same part (singular) for over twenty years. They do a great job welding that one part, but they can not switch gears and weld anything that is different. My task with that client was to teach them alternate techniques and work with them to weld an assortment of joint configurations. It was very difficult for them to adopt new techniques that varied from what they were used to doing. Their limitations affected their employment opportunities should they have to find a new job due to reassignments or down sizing. While they were skilled at the job they did, they would fall into the "rod burner" category because of their limited skill set and limited knowledge of welding. Frederic Taylor: old school.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-19-2013 15:48
Al,

This is exactly what I did in my Airline days.

We had many people who were by government mandate in the 70's taken off of forklifts and put in a welding booth..  They were taught to do one thing, which many of them were able to do adaquitly.  But as times and engines changed, so did the difficulty of the work.... Plus it was a union shop and these "one trick ponies" were free to bid to go to another workcenter if they had the senority to do it.... Not many did, because they knew they would not cut it.. But some tried...

Teaching old dogs new tricks is still the story of my life..........  Being an old dog that is willing to listen (most of the time) I enjoy the role.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-19-2013 15:27
I don't get is Sourdough.

1.  You are obviously skilled with a reputation that allows you to work all you want and probably set your own price right?

2.  If everybody else out there was as good as you, that 2am call would not come to fix that critical job and you would not have the clout to make the man open his treasure chest for you right?

3.  If you spent as much energy helping people get better as you do complaining about the incompetence that you find yourself surrounded with, American welded steel would be the beacon of excellence you think it used to be.

:::::::::::drops microphone

Lar out!

Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 15:52
I always say, "The dumber they are, the more money I make."

That was the case when I made my living with my welding helmet and it is still the case now that I earn a living with my laptop and code books.

If everyone one knew everything and if no one made mistakes, I would be out of work. :cry:

Al
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-23-2013 14:34
Well, Lawrence...

I've trained many welders who were worth training, and they are good welders today. But that small handful of young guys embraced learning. They wanted to be instructed.

How do you train someone who goes through life "knowing" everything? How do you tell a person that's 26 years old, and who has 30 years of welding experience that they don't know what they're doing?

Ron White said it best....you can't fix stupid.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-30-2013 13:19
Sourdough

Good teachers have the ability, and more importantly the inclination, to help *more* than just "the small handful of young guys" who arrive on the first day with more talent than the rest.

I could tell you how to train "know-it-all's.   I could tell you how to teach the 26 year old with 30 years of experience.  I can tell you how to teach the person who is scared of fire and sparks,  I can tell you how to teach the deaf,  I can tell you how to teach autistic students. I can tell you how to reach and motivate 45 year olds who dropped out of school in the 8th grade and spent the next 20 or so years driving a forklift and are terrified to go back and try to learn again.  I've written 6 books and coauthored the national standard on training and examining welders.

But you wouldn't listen, because you don't have the patient self-dicipline to reach out to people who really need it.  You view them as trash, beneath you.

The very best teach themselves Sourdough... If those are the only ones you will "put up" with, who gives a crap what you can teach?

I've invested sizable portion of my career helping folks who people like you have given up on; people who have maybe even given up on themselves.

Ron White is funny........ You are just a bitter old snob who thinks he knows something.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-31-2013 00:10
Can I have your autograph?:twisted::yell::lol::grin::smile::wink::cool:
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-31-2013 12:30
Well Henry,

I don't toss out my pedigree too often now do I?  Maybe twice in 10 years?

BTW...  I appretiate you being a strong professional mentor to me over the last 11 years.  Trying to keep up with you technically is a pretty big challenge that is priceless :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-02-2014 09:25 Edited 01-02-2014 09:27
Your friendship has been priceless to me so the feeling's mutual Lawrence! And the same goes for you Sully!

You want to know what I have learned over these last eleven years or so??? I have learned that our time on this planet is finite and we're all wasting our time if we all rush to judgement on anyone, anyplace and sometimes on anything that strikes our fancy on any given day... And it's taken me a very long time to learn that in earnest because when it's all said and done, when we're all finished offending each other, when you feel like nobody's understanding what you're trying to say, in the final analysis I have come to realize that each one of those behaviors has led to becoming nothing more than wasting our precious time we have left here on earth and I for one don't want to waste another minute!

Now I don't want anyone to read this and think that I'm lecturing anyone, so please don't take what I'm about to write the wrong way okay?

All of this insignificant back and forth of challenging each others egos is useless friends and a huge waste of our time! It doesn't serve any true purpose in here or out there! So let's all make a resolution to not waste anybody's precious time anymore starting today okay??? Throw the negativity out the window and embrace the positive things instead, and for crying out loud people! Let's always put out more gratitude in our attitude because if we make an honest effort in doing so, our lives will be so much more relevant and have more meaning and that sense of community will be back for real in here again where it belongs!

That's probably one of the most important lessons that I have learned to embrace and I practice doing so each and every day since because I know I have no other choice but misery! This is how I can accept my illnesses and the changes in my life which I now know were meant to be... Please don't wait until your ill in order to practice humility & acceptance friends... Don't waste anymore of your precious time okay?
Thank you for letting me share this with all of you.:grin::smile::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-02-2014 18:58
Hello Henry, I have followed this thread and others that have morphed into discussions of discord, it is nice to read what you have written here. I have also been on both ends of "internet" conversations, written words are not the best method to have a conversation. I know that others have experienced this as well, the ability to use tonal, facial, and bodily expressions to craft an understanding of a subject or otherwise are lacking. Even though there is often discord, I believe that subjects are thoroughly explored on this forum and information on the subjects as well. I will continue to learn from you Henry and all the others here. Fight the good fight, Henry. Best wishes and regards, Allan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-05-2014 07:01
Hi Allan!

Thank you for your kind words. I really do appreciate your contributions to the forum as well and I always look forward to checking out the "Tricks of the Trade" section for any new posts from you. I have used many of those tricks so to speak over the years too but, I find that your explanations are second to none and the added visual representations clearly are the icing on the cake when it comes to your threads. I have referred many to your tips and tricks in the past few years and just about everyone that's been exposed to them have commented in one form or another that the person who wrote these unique aids in fabrication should gather them together as well as add the rest he may have and combine them all in order to develop a publication showcasing these tips and tricks you seem to have in endless supply Allan! I would most definitely purchase the book and recommend it to anyone!

Anwho, it's always a pleasure to read your posts and I hope to be able to continue enjoying your invaluable contributions to this great forum of ours for as long as I'm alive friend!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-05-2014 08:29
Sourdough, sorry to take your thread off topic and Henry, thank you for the equally kind words. I haven't contributed much to the forum for quite some time now, particularly the "Tricks of the Trade" section. Life has decided to take a lot of my time away from contributing here as much as I used to. As to the forum as a whole, I have a few years on here by now and have seen a whole lot of swings and changes on content, topics, players, etc. There is still no doubt in my mind that this forum is one of the best regardless of these things.

I was fortunate to be able to contribute an item or two to the Tricks of the Trade section when it was first instituted here. Unfortunately, I haven't done so nearly as much as of late. I always hoped that others would follow suit and continue to add content and information and many certainly have. Yet, I know that there is so much more that could be included. Certainly one of the great things about a forum is that once a topic has been introduced others are sparked to add their variations and interpretations of it as well. That is when I really learn so much more than has been shared with me already by so many.

This new year brings with it many opportunities for "newness" I hope that everyone has an opportunity to realize enrichment, worth, value, satisfaction, and a host of other positives. Life is truly too short to not look forward with a strong positive attitude. Like I said before Henry, fight the good fight and I hope to continue to enjoy your posts and all of the variety of insights that they contain. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-07-2014 00:07

> I haven't contributed much to the forum for quite some time now, particularly the "Tricks of the Trade" section. Life has decided to take a lot of my time away from contributing here as much as I used to.

Hello Allan, I know what you mean about life taking up alot of time lately. I have taken another job after nearly 30 years with the same company and today was my first day at the new job. Not sure how much I will be able to login here in the future until I see how the new place feels about internet usage while at work. I will still try to login at night from home and check in, until I get all of that sorted out.
Anyway, what a whirlwind I've been in for the past few weeks. We returned from San Antonio @ 10pm lastnight and nearly no sleep for the past few days due to sitting in airports waiting on flights that kept being delayed. We had to spend an extra night in Atlanta because the airline let us get on the plane in Charlotte knowing full well that the plane wouldn't get on the ground until after our connection had already left without us. -15F in the Twin Cities when we landed there...that was a shock to the system. Glad to see you posting and I always look forward to reading your contributions to the Tricks of the Trade forum.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-07-2014 01:35
So John, have you moved out of state to take this new job? Or have you simply taken a position at a different company in your general location? Whatever the case, I know about the new job stuff. Even though I have been teaching at the same college for nearly 25 yrs. now, every time that I go out on the various breaks that we have from school and work somewhere it is a similar sort of thing. New people to get to know, time to prove yourself and even more so when everyone hears that you are a "welding instructor". Well at any rate when you get a chance please give some details of your new "challenge" would love to hear about it. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-09-2014 17:08
It's a local Engineering firm wanting to start a Structural Steel Inspection department. They do have offices in other parts of the state, but nothing more than a few hours drive.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-09-2014 23:40
BRAVO Hank!
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 01-12-2014 00:36
agreed
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-31-2013 00:23
Very well put......Not everybody is cut out to be a teacher, I'm one of them....Keep it up Lawrence the world needs the "teachers"............From Pittsburgh home of dem' Stillers......
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-01-2014 15:15 Edited 01-01-2014 16:40
Fine, it's edited. This site is funny as hell.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-01-2014 15:46 Edited 01-02-2014 20:44
Henry and Al have made some great comments.  Sourdough, I do understand your frustration.  We have all experienced it in one way or another.  Both about those not willing to learn and about AWS.  I do agree with Al, the funds are well used in my opinion.  But it is just that, my opinion. 

I didn't appreciate some of the things thrown at Lawrence, BUT, I responded to aggressively.  Sorry, for the things I threw back.  As if he needed me to defend him, Lawrence's reputation stands strong and he is able to take care of himself.  But I didn't need to include anything beyond.  My post took on too personal of a stand/attack. 

Happy New Year one and all,

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-01-2014 16:37
We'll. I guess you don't read the posts very well. This guy takes a poke at me no matter what post I decide to post. It's right there at every topic I post. Ol Larry can't hold back. Just like most internet tough guys.

Respect is earned.

You speak of arrogance like you know a little something about it. This website stinks of arrogance, that's why I only get on here once in a while. I used to want to participate in the discussions, but it became clear to me some time back that it's all the same same.... a bunch of "the best welders in the world"

Who cares? If I can't get respect here, why the hell would I dispense respect to people who insinuate that I'm a narcissistic punk with no skills or talent?

I work in a valley with a bunch of hacks. If you guys have never had that experience, good for you. You guys have perfect working conditions around other talented individuals. That's great! Maybe you don't ever see a bunch of idiots running our reputation and hourly rates down. How is that? I don't understand.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 01-07-2014 16:54
Sourdough,I understand your situation 110%. I am surprised Lawrence doesn't get it!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-07-2014 20:58
I get some of it NMWelding.

I just don't agree that the "AWS" is the problem, or the solution for that matter.

We took our argument private (his good idea).    Not that we are really seeing eye to eye or anything.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2014 01:04

>Moderators need to take notice of this

Folks please be mindful that *moderators* are voluntary helpers for the forum and it's a holiday so we are with our families when we aren't on here being a *moderator*.
Just be mindful that we(I) don't have the ability to be on here 24/7/365.

I hope everyone is having a Happy 2014, if not...go have a great year anyway :wink:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-19-2013 15:53
Sourdough,

It's true, there are a good many who can pass a test that still make UGLY welds.  But the codes don't define, nor explain, ugly vs pretty welds.

It is also true, a good many may be able to pass a test, but they have no knowledge of what makes a particular joint better than another.  They also don't know when a super smooth top pass will make a machine gusset area last a whole lot longer than one with a slightly extra crown to the fillet which gives it a stress riser that causes failure under the load. 

While working on heavy logging equipment (LeTourneau Log Stackers by name) in the Pacific Northwest we would have to retrain most welders that came into the shop.  They were often good welders.  They just didn't understand the application of stress risers and how this equipment was stressed to the maximum every time it lifted 40-60 ton worth of logs and then went across the log yard at 20 mph with the load in the air and the machine swaying with every pot hole in the gravel travel lanes.  So, their stuff would break in short order and someone else would get sent to repair it again. 

It is also amazing how many welders think a scab plate is a good thing.  Or, that their weld penetrated plenty deep even though they had little bevel and no backing and now they grind the top off smooth with the surface of the parent metals and have actually no strength left at all. 

My point, as Lawrence said, try doing some training instead of just complaining.  I know, we all get frustrated at times and come here to vent.  So, this is not a critical comment toward you.  We've all done it.  But sometimes we need reminding that as the Master Craftsmen we need to share our experience and wisdom with others so our profession does not become totally lost.  All of us have things to learn as well as things to teach.  Let's work together to make this a better trade. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-23-2013 20:19
I mentioned this in a forum post a few weeks back about welding not being a trade.  what I would really like is a national certification for welders similar to plumbers or electricians that's a mix of book skills, blue print reading, fitup and fabrication PLUS welding skills to say that no only can this guy make a bead, but he can read a print but he knows what a staggered fillet is on a blue print and how to set this up, plus basic code requirements.   With different levels of testing off of that you could have the equivalent of a "master mechanic" or master plumber. A Certification that carries legal weight.

right now welder qualification just certifies that you can make a halfway decent bead in a certain configuration under certain circumstances. Back when I was in college, the dean would grab one of the janitors during the final and within 4 hours he could get them to pass a basic flat position CJP GMAW bend test. The point was that we had no excuse for not learning how to pass our tests after a whole semester. technically the janitor was now a "qualified" welder, but obviously he lacked any of the book and practical knowledge required to make sound welds.

What we need is more stringent and better recognized welder certification program that has legal weight and covers more than just making pretty beads.
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 12-24-2013 11:56
I wholeheartedly agree, Damn good idea but the only problem with this is that the employers will not pay a decent livable wage. Now we are back to square one again....sucks don't it....a solution to the problem and BAM corporate greed sucker punches us yet again.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-24-2013 16:26
It would probably have to lead with legislation, namely the AWS would have to lobby to put legal weight behind "master welder" and the likes and bake it into OSHA and building codes.

Sadly it would probably require some large death or building collapse due to poor welding quality to really push for better welder training and certification.  You're right businesses would oppose this as "too expensive" and it would obviously raise the cost of welding personnel in some sectors.  I can dream can't I?
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 12-25-2013 02:14
i think passing the costs on is another problem also...  I'm a small shop and i have to keep my overhead low just to get the jobs at a price that wont send me outta business.  Theres two sides to every coin
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-25-2013 16:19
How many shots do you give for this "Golden Arm" test?
One, two, three.
Once one masters the hand eye coordination skills it then becomes refinement.
I have seen welders that have been welding 20 years that are no better today than they were 20 years ago.
And these guys work every day and make x-ray quality welds.
The best welder in the world on any given day can bust a weld and a test.
AND a bad welder can pass a test.
There are a lot of companies out there that screw over their workers and do not pay them fairly.
You pissers an moaners that keep working for them deserve exactly what you are getting. You can give me all the reasons why you stay, but when it comes down to it, you would rather stay where you are and whine, than do something about it. If you have the skills and abilities you claim the go out there and find somebody willing to compensate you.
Or start your own business. But then you will be working for stupid idiots that do not know what they want and will not pay you fairly. Even when you set the price. Some dark skin, two bit, no skill MF that has a Miller Bobcat in the back of a Ford Ranger is ruining it for everybody in the area. Working for nothing driving down the price of work in the area.
GIVE ME A FRIKING BREAK!
Dough,
Get over it! Get some counseling and deal with what the heck it is that brings out your demons!
And the rest of you. If you have halfway decent skills you can make a decent 6 figure income welding. Maybe not in the little burg you live in, but somewhere. Read some books about marketing, business, leadership and grow in this profession. My tolerance of you whiners has hit rock bottom. How all we need to get ahead is a fricking test that everyone can see you are a certified golden arm.
Print your own! Show it at the bar and tell everyone how great you are and how the morons you work for and with abuse you.
I guess ever since the second welder went to work for the first, welders are a dime a dozen you can find at any wine shed, charge too much for too little, are only as good as your last weld, and when you leave you are a no welding, thieving, MF.
Rant over.
Merry Christmas!
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-02-2014 01:30
Soooo... tell me how you really feel?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-19-2013 17:30 Edited 12-19-2013 17:36
I get where you are coming from Sourdough. The "Certified Welder" is why I am in my current job. I've gone out and fixed multiple welds on structures that have failed 2 and 3 times after the same "certified" guy repaired them.

They can pass a test to get their "papers" but keeping your work and quality ethic in check while on the job is another situation. They go out, blast in some trash, collect a paycheck and run. Typically they are cheaper than the real professionals but I have seen some out here that charged twice as much per hour as I did and the guy failed three times on a visual inspection! I worked with a guy one time that was rolling out his gear getting ready to weld.....in the pouring rain. Sounds alright if you have some sort of shelter over your work but the water was running down the legs into the weld area. I asked the hot shot welder how he planned on keeping the weld area dry. He replied, "what do you mean?". Times like that I walk away and mumble under my breath things that Marine drill sergeants would blush at.

It is what it is man, repairs suck but as others have said you sound like you take pride in your workmanship and know what you are doing. Have them suckers that use El Cheapo welding service break open the pocket book when you have to go out and fix OPS.

Shawn
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 12-20-2013 04:12
Excuse me, but as the argument has been made that trained monkeys could be taught the requisite skill set as welders I feel the neccesity to take issue.  The small business endeavor I undertake to run profitably operates on slim margins and we are constantly seeking more efficient means to enlarge those margins.  As labor is the highest cost of goods sold, at a certain point in our history we attempted to decrease this burden with cheaper labor.  Why NOT monkeys we asked ourselves.  The housing, upkeep, payrate and feeding should be minimal.  Extensive testing was undertaken.

By chance our first set of candidates were a small clan of Spider monkeys acquired from a South East Asian Zoo from a purchasing agent willing to overlook certain standards of importation documentation.  These fine animals seemed promising at first, with their pre-hensile abilities they were able to hang from nearly any point of purchase and weld soundly.  Unfortunately hanging upside down was their preferred position of comfort, so while they could and did produce many xray quality weldments for us we found ulitmately the cost of positioning equipment too expensive and they had to be let go.  I believe they have found more suitable employment somewhere in the southern states repairing waffle making machinery.

We next undertook the training of a pair of adult, male Howler monkeys, provided us through a freind from the Yucatan Penninsula that came already certified in no less than three welding processes.  Superb craftsman.  One couldn't fault their work based on the most stringent codes or standards.  But the noise.......... my god the noise.  Three different TPIs needed hospitalization and a long respite to the local State Facility for nervous conditions after only a week of inspection.  We thought it cheaper to replace the inspectors but in the end the neighbors started complaining so our Howlers went home to their beloved jungle.  We do miss them sorely.

We took a shot and found a promising Baboon.  Or so we thought.  Fancy hood, starched collar, spanking new rig, but really, who want's to put up with that Golden Arm Attitude.  We cut him a pink slip pronto.

Not ones to give up, we moved on to the Apes.

Gorrilas seemed like they might strain our overhead but the applicants seemed enthusiastic so we thought, "why not".  We do a fair amount of bending in our fabrication and these three fellows seemed right at home, strapping our heaviest members to be formed across their chests and gripping for leverage with their formidable triceps pulled 3" round stock into circles.  Very aggresive work ethic. They competed with each other shamelessly for the largest iron and tightest bend radii but in the end they never could quite grasp the concept of tolerances so for them the bending was enough.  Surprisingly good stick welders though.  Nothing like the solidity of a large mass to provide a really steady hand.  There was some discussion about who's responsibility it was to inform them their service would no longer be needed.  I recall we drew straw.  They were pretty good natured about.

The next and most obvious choice, which we slapped ourselves for not thinking of first was Chimpanzees.  It seemed so obvious with their overwhelming shared genetics, should be a shoe in.  Calls were made, contacts contacted, letters dispatched, funds exchanged hands and one fine crisp October morning our boys showed up, hoods and gloves in hand and doing somersaults on the asphalt, that's how ready they were.  Into the test booth, 6" stick all the way out, 35 minutes later bending coupons without failure.  Back into the booths, tig roots, lo-hy out and they're slapping their thighs with one hand and a toe hold on the filler wire with their foot and indicating it was time for lunch.  This was our first red flag and we should have paid heed but we were beggining to be really excited at the possiblitites, so we pushed them into some alloy work.  Some of the original enthusiasm seemed to cool but they began to prep coupons....... and then that was it.  Prepped em, and just let em sit, looking around out of the corners of their simian eyes and just scowling.  When we tried to communicate the urgency of finishing their testing so they could go to work they just rolled their lips and showed their teeth.  Food was brought in.  Baskets of fresh pineapple, yellow bananas, ripe mangoes but to no avail.  Apparantly these chimps had worked some gigs that paid serious per diem or maybe just permits with 798 but they weren't having any of it.  Conditions just degraded from there and we never bothered to put them on.

Finally, at wits end, an Orangatang answered our employment advertisement.  He carried a calculator with him which we thought boded well and was extraordinarally humble in demeanor.  Breezed through a barrage of testing with all coupon passing with flying colors.  Put him to work on any station in the shop and there seemed nothing he hadn't brought a journeymans skill to.  But......he was just so moribund.  Depressing really.  Does a fine job bending up a pallet of flanges on the brake, the compliments just seemed to fall on deaf ears.  Weld out 90 inches of xray sched 40 in a shift and the praise garnered just seem to depress him.  Morale was sinking with the other hands, not from jealousy but the new guy was just bringing people down with his glumness.  Just reeked of sadness, tragedy and sorrow.  We didn't want to cut him loose but one bad orange can ruin the barrel.

In the end we decided there was really only so much you could teach a monkey but we did at least make that decision through experience not assumption.

And while I'm off the subject, has anyone ever heard Sourdough do anything BUT complain?

Bit of a cheap shot I'll admit, but really bro have you ever reviewed your posts?

When we were young, we were all waiting for The Best Welder in The World to die so we could all move up a slot, but that was a long time ago.  These days we take a little pride in being able to pass on a thing or two to the guys coming up that show a little promise.  It's as much fun as I ever had in the trenches, and believe me, we had some big fun.  And just like I always look for the gig that is going to demand the most from any talent I might possess I always look for the hand that's most ready to learn from anything I can show them.  When you got the real goods you don't lose em by sharing em.

Happy Holidays to All.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-20-2013 04:39
that's just too funny! you should write .....,
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-20-2013 09:24
Remarkable!!! LMAO!!
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-20-2013 12:01
There are a bazillion walks of life out there.  Each and every one of us are different and has something to contribute. 
It all depends on exactly what you are looking for at that time.  Maybe rod burners are all you need.....
Spider, Howler, Gorrilas, Chimps and Orangs all can thrive in a specific time and place.
Finding a primate that is as flexible as Gumby, doesn't complain, sans ego, and good work ethics?  Those are hard to find, but do you really need one?
Tyrone
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-20-2013 12:38
I"m going to copy this and share it with friends.

Masterpiece !
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-20-2013 13:33
I heard a deeper study of the Chimpanzees found while they had the skills and aptitude, they could not stand getting burned.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-20-2013 16:13
This post has gone from the insanity of certification to Gumby.  I may be going out on a limb here, but I think you guys have drifted off topic.  And as far as the AWS being all about money, I could attempt to explain why I personally think that the AWS is not all about money, but I ran out of crayons.

In some of the other responses, several references have been made to members of the ape family.  I realize that monkeys can be trained to do a lot of different things, but is that really a true indication of our ability to teach them?  To me, until someone is able to train 20 monkeys to run after 1 banana at the exact same time, 1:20, then I think it’s safe to say that we still have a ways to go.  I realize that the real challenge in this would be seeing whether the monkeys could distinguish between 1:20 a.m. and 1:20 p.m., but that could easily be overcome by giving each of them a watch and teaching them how to tell time.  That being said, I think that what would be equally as important, and to avoid any confusion, is making sure that the watches are placed on their right wrists.  Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense.

One response referenced spider monkeys producing xray quality welds in the upside down position.  C'mon, who are we kidding here? The upside down position is not even a prequalified position that is recognized by D1.1

And lastly, until I can find a girlfriend who is as flexible as Gumby, I’m not going to waste my time looking for a primate that is as flexible as Gumby.  Though, I do realize they could end up being one in the same, but that would be my last resort.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-20-2013 16:57
Meanwhile, back on topic.
IT'S ALWAYS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
Look into the paychecks of the folks who run "charitable" organizations such as the "Red Cross".
Sure we may enjoy our profession, but I know I would have never filled out an application had it only paid 10% over minimum wage.
Seriously how many of us would be doing it had we not heard the urban legends of those $100 and hour rates or $2000 a day "get'er done" gigs.

I try to "Pay it Forward" as much as possible by helping others with welding issues, pass the CWI exam or find work. I'll answer any question I can or spend time digging up the answer if it is not known to me. Research and knowledge is what makes me better in my job and gives me a sense of purpose in society.
This what keeps my sanity by having to deal with all the frustrations of ignorance, incompetence and corporate greed while attempting to eek out my meager living in this crazy industry.
I've always thought it would be cool to have an apprentice/indentured servant to train "in my own image" like as was in days of yore. Then on my deathbed, I'd have the comfort of knowing who would then be "The World's Best Welder"!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-23-2013 14:44
Would I be a welder if I didn't complain?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-23-2013 17:03
Yes.  But, you probably couldn't claim to be part of the human race.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By chitownhustler Date 01-01-2014 16:01
sourdough, consider yourself lucky being born with the golden arm! all of us wish we were born knowing everything about welding like you! part of being a leader in life and industry is teaching and motivating others to learn. other then criticism what have you done to make the trade better? FYI, constructive criticism goes a whole bunch farther then negative criticism.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-01-2014 16:21
I'm sorry you're not good at what you do. I wasn't born with a golden arm, just passion.

These guys get on here and think they're bashing me back for my comments about AWS.

What is hilarious is that if you read into the content of their posts, they are essentially defending the hacks I complain about so often.

It's about money, just like everything else these days.
Parent - By chitownhustler Date 01-19-2014 07:22
Reading is fundamental. Thanks for proving my point sourdough!
- - By iesca (**) Date 12-21-2013 22:05
I agree with Al in his assertion that the certification is simply a demonstration that the welder has the mínimum skiills required to deposit a sound weld, but it is not clear for me what Certification is insane... ATF Welder Certification? Manufacturer/Contractor Certification?
On the other hand there are the employers/foremans and, the weld test supervisors... By experience, I have confirmed that a lot of welder foremans/supervisors do not know the scope of the qualifications of the welders/welding operators, so they believe that a certified welder has the proper skills for all the welding variables (welding positions, filler and base metals, material thikness, pipe diameters, etc.) and, they assign any weld to any welder; and the weld test supervisors, many of them are not qualified to conduct the welder test: they do not employ the proper WPS for the test or they do not use a WPS, visual inspection/NDT/mechanical testing are not conducted according the requirements of codes and, the WPQRs are completed incorrectly...

Regards,
Hector
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aws is about money
1 2 Previous Next