Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / First Time Writing Documents
- - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-17-2017 04:22 Edited 11-29-2017 22:11
So, I've recently started working as a welding supervisor for a small company.  They make greenhouses, mostly galvanized sheet metal and 14 gauge pre-galvanized box tubing.  Now they are looking at making large canopy structures to support solar panel installations.  This weld shop is a mess to begin with, and now this has been dropped on my desk and they're moving quickly.  I have been a CWI for three years, but I have never had to actually use it before now.  I don't remember a lot from what little training I actually had, and am scrambling to get my stuff together.  We will be building these structures to D1.1-2015.  I have created some WPS's and a WPQR to go along with them.  I am missing some information on them though and am having a hard time getting clear guidance on where to find that information.

First off, the WPS.  How do I go about choosing my filler material?  I thought this was pretty straightforward, but I'm concerned.  The materials used are ASTM A500 Grade B and ASTM A572 Grade 55.  I'm pretty sure that A572 is considered a "low alloy" metal.  Do I need to choose a "low alloy" filler from the class II list in table 3.2, or will any of the fillers listed do?  The process is GMAW.  Then I need to choose a gas.  I don't have it in front of me right now, but we are currently using C25.  Since GMAW-S is not pre-approved, I already know that I need to change my gas to something that will allow us to get into spray transfer.  I get confused by the shielding gas designations and could use a recommendation. 

I believe the wire feed speed, voltage, stickout, and travel speed should come from the filler manufacturer.

The second is the WPQR.  Since the welders will be welding class I to class II metals, do I need to use both metals in the qualification test?  They will be welding a limited thickness plate test in 1G.  I can't find anything regarding this and do not believe that that is required.  It appears that I could qualify them on A500 Grade B and they would simply be qualified to join any pre-approved metals.

I'm stressing out about this and possibly overthinking all of this, but I am really eager to make a good impression on the boss and to make sure that this thing goes as smoothly as possible.  Any help you guys could provide would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you,
-Dave

I've attached recently UPDATED copies of the WPQR and the WPS's I've created, I appreciate any feedback
Attachment: WPQR-001.docx (18k)
Attachment: WPS-D1.1-001.docx (82k)
Attachment: WPS-D1.1-002.docx (51k)
Attachment: WPS-D1.1-003.docx (62k)
Attachment: WPS-D1.1-004.docx (53k)
Attachment: WPS-D1.1-005.docx (61k)
Attachment: WPS-D1.1-006.docx (95k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-17-2017 05:38
It looks like you have your hands full.

I'm going to hold off answering your questions until I return to Connecticut so I can refer to the Farm Code for the correct answers to your questions. To answer them from memory is a recipe for disaster.

As for writing a WPS, the Connecticut Section of AWS is hosting a 3 day seminar on writing WPSs in March. Take a look in the latest edition of Inspection Trends for information on who to contact for more information.

Al
Parent - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-17-2017 19:16
Finding a seminar would probably be wise.  I live in Minnesota and my ability to travel is limited, but I'll check around and see if there's anything that I may be able to find in my area, or even as an online seminar.  Thank you
Parent - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-17-2017 19:20
So far I have found that ER70S-6 will work for both steels.  I have the recommended operating parameters from the filler manufacturer.  I'm working with my rep, it looks like we're probably going to be using AR/CO2 - 90/10 for the shielding gas, that will allow us to get into spray.  The travel speed is still up in the air, but I'm planning on timing practice welds and using that as my basis.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 11-22-2017 09:05
I don't understand why you already have the WPQR before the qualification test is perform.
Writing of WPS is normally delegated to the welding engineer.
Parent - - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-22-2017 22:30
It's not final, it's the proposed WPQR and what it will qualify them for.  It will just be our standard test.  So when we're ready, we can do the test and just finish filling the form.  There is no welding engineer.  Very small shop.  Our lead engineer has a background in wood construction.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 11-23-2017 10:09
I think for your case, the best is to engage an experienced welder to weld the test coupon.
You witness the welding, take down the actual welding consumables and parameters in WPQR.
Once the test is successful, you develop the WPS from PQR based on the limits of the essential variables.

Don't know how to write a WPS? not to worry get an experienced welder, make friend with him, give him some respect....they can provide you the information you need in writing a WPS.
Parent - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-23-2017 16:56
I will certainly be leaning on our only experienced welder.  Thank you!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-25-2017 02:57
The attached document are my comments and my opinion regarding your entries for one of your WPSs. It is a good attempt and a good start.

The Connecticut Section is hosting a 3-day seminar on writing WPSs in March 2018. You and many others might find it worthwhile to attend. There is a listing for the seminar in the current edition of Inspection Trends.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-29-2017 22:14
I appreciate it Al.  I took your suggestions to heart and have contacted Inspection Trends in regards to that series of articles.  I hope to hear back from them soon.  My boss sounds like he might be willing to send me out for the seminar.  I'll keep trying to wear him down.
Thank you,
-Dave
- - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-20-2017 15:52
I'm working on the WPS's for our T-joints with fillet welds.  These are stepped connections.  We are going to have some tubing at a 45° and some tubing at a 90°.  I am looking at Figure 9.10 in D1.1-2015.  The way I interpret this is that there is no toe or heel if the angles don't exceed 60° or 120°.  That means that we need only follow the instructions for the side on members meeting at roughly a 90° angle.  So I will write a separate WPS for the heel and a separate WPS for the toe to ensure that the weld sizes are correct for each, z-loss is calculated on the heel and that the bevel is performed on the toe.  I am not sure what E-means when looking at this chart and how to decide which column applies to me.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
-Dave
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-30-2017 02:59
I'll be looking for you on the first day of class.

Feel free to contact me if you have any question/

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / First Time Writing Documents