Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Forum
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next  
Search
Topic Simple Weld Symbol Question By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-08-2016 01:44
If there is a groove weld with no specified dimension, it is CJP however if the depth of preparation is detailed but weld size is not, the the weld size is equal to the groove depth, so based upon the example written the effective size is equal to the depth of groove. Looking in an old standard (98) there is no reference to the depth of penetration of the backing weld be it dimensions or not dimensioned. There is a statement in the commentary that seems to indicate using a backing symbol means CJP. 

If I was to come across this and had any questions as an inspector, I would refer to the design authority for clarification. It seems to be difficult to tie down based upon the content of the standard.
Topic Simple Weld Symbol Question By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-08-2016 00:03
I should have read closer. My brain was telling me "backing strip". However since backing welds are NOT groove welds the assumption that an unspecified dimension means CJP may not apply.

I will have to break out the standard to make sure but may very well be wrong.
Topic Simple Weld Symbol Question By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-07-2016 21:56
Then the groove weld size (E) is equal to the depth of preparation.
Topic NR211 Not acceptable for structural?? By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-07-2016 20:34
The De-oxidizers and denitrifiers (aluminum, Fluorspar is)can lead to subsequent cracking not to mention causing a great deal of pain and suffering when you try to weld over it with another process.

Though "down on the farm" the wire works great because you can vary stickout widely, minor changes in arc lengh in real life can affect the ability of the flux to perform. I think the controls needed to maintain consistent mechanical properties could be hard to achieve based on most methods employed for controlling "special processes" such as welding.
Topic Improving Welding notes By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-07-2016 13:51
Here is some more detail on the subject. From an ASME Perspective. http://weldingclassroom.org/index.php/welding-info/certification/test-position-or-weld-position/
Topic Need help with Base metal qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-07-2016 02:44
Look at QW-453(for SMAW but the same for others) then QW-403.18 then QW-423 and that should answer your original question.
Topic Need help with Base metal qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-06-2016 18:56
The WPS has no reflection on the range of qualification of the welder. It must meet the variable ranges used for testing except for the allowances for substitution of materials AND in must meet the requirements for the variable used in production.

The welder may use the WPS during testing however he/she may not be able to weld on production joints using that same WPS if the ranges required for the production joint are outside his/her range of qualification .

The ranges of qualification can be seen in QW403.18. I would suggest reviewing that para.
Topic Need help in proper way to qualify a welder By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-05-2016 03:29
I think most of your questions have been answered but I would like to throw in a few comments.

1) The format of the form is irrelevant. The content of Table 4.12 must be addressed and recorded. (Process, F-Number, Position, Diameter, Thickness, Vertical Progression and Backing. The digital form in fillable PDF is at https://app.aws.org/technical/forms/N-4.pdf
2) As indicated, you must use the joints as shown in clause form. A prequalified joint design exists in clause 3 that will match the details of the required joint designs in clause 4.
3) There are prequalified partial and complete joint penetration joints however there are no PJP joints for welder qualification.
4) The employer should have their own WPS's and of course you can prepare them for them however they need to have signature authorization somewhere on the form. I try to stress to organizations who are wanting their welders "certified" that there is more to code compliance than just that and having a certified welder will typically not release them from the responsibility of their work and though they may be able to show intent of compliance by certification of the welders, there is usually a great deal many more requirements within the code .
5) Submittal to AWS is only a requirement for an AWS Accredited test facility.
6) If you have the equipment to pull tensiles, you can pull them but don't forget the need for NDE prior to bends/tensiles.

If you are near NE Tennessee, I am planning a series of inspector training sessions this summer and welder testing and certification will be one of the modules (6-8 hours tentatively).

I apologize for duplicating any other responses. Just remember that welder testing is only a small part of code compliance and producing quality welds.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Topic Need help with Base metal qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-05-2016 02:50
I do not understand what you are asking.

Impact testing variables have no reflection on qualification of the welder.
Topic Need help with Base metal qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 03-04-2016 18:03
Group Number would be a limiting variable if

1) Impact Testing (Supplementary Essential Variables) were required.

AND

2) You are only referring to the use of the WPS in production. Materials may be substituted for performance qualification.

Hope this helps.
Topic Need help with Base metal qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-27-2016 00:05
The qualification ranges for the welder are separate and apart from the ranges for a WPS. The welder must be qualified for a production weld based upon his/her ranges of qualification and the procedure used must be qualified for the ranges used for production.

One may be qualifed outside the ranges of the other.
Topic D1.1 2015 By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-26-2016 02:33
Structural Applications is the intended use. AWS and other bodies have a considerable amount of welding related standards and specifications. Many of which overlap and work in conjunction with each other.

Gerald
Topic Base Metal Equivalents (ISO / EN / ASTM) By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-25-2016 14:22
Pnumbers.com
Topic calibration By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-25-2016 11:10
I had a small block manufactured that contained steps, holes, chamfers etc. and had the mfg document all of the dimensions using a measuring system traceable to NIST standards and document the measured dimensions on the drawing along with a signature and references to the machine used.

I then have a "working standard" that is suitable for the degree of precision established within our quality policies and supporting procedures. It also works for tape measures, steel rules, micrometers, calipers etc... . My next one will be slightly larger because its a pit tricky for the base of the bridge cam gauge.

Have a great day.
Gerald Austin
Topic SWPs and B2.1 Procedure qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-25-2016 10:58
One advantage of qualifying a procedure over purchasing one may be the wider range of customization that can be within the document vs using the SWPS as is.  If you are just using the procedure for "qualification" then it very well may be the way to go.

For procedure qualification per Sec IX and B2.1, they could qualify the procedure on a pc of 3/16" or 1/4" plate, cut bends and tensiles, do the bends in house, get the tensiles machined locally ($60-$100), and send the tensiles to be pulled ($60-$100). So that coupled with your rate would exceed the cost of an SWPS. However the value may not. I am a firm believer in the"...teach a man to fish..." idea though it probably doesn't go well with my boss sometimes.

A thought, one other thing I always stress to organizations wanting their welders "certified" is that if they are performing a job in which the requirement for welder performance qualification is referenced, often within the project specifications there are more requirements to compliance than just testing the welders. Some understand a drawing note such as 1. All welding shall be performed in accordance with xxx and welders shall be currently qualified in accordance with xxx. to mean just "I need the magical mystical all knowing "CERTIFIED WELDER" to make sure everything in the welding world is good.

If the likelihood is high that this is a one time deal, the SWPS may be the way to go.

Have a great day.
Topic Interesting tensile pull textures By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-24-2016 03:09
Or maybe run a bead over some stuff as allowed by D1.1!
Topic Deleted By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-21-2016 00:54
Deleted
Topic Welder qualification according to ASME sec ix By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-20-2016 16:24
Anything to change up either the CWI program or the Big Red Book will probably never go over well according to those annual financial reports.
Topic Welder qualification according to ASME sec ix By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-20-2016 15:31
Yup.

I think (for me) ASME IX is much clearer than some of the others and easier to follow but still pretty complicated. At least its not like the big red book where when it comes out AFTER 5 years for $500+ and STILL has an errata sheet with it. With some content very close in location and reference to errata sheets of old.

Have a good one Al.

Gerald
Topic Welder qualification according to ASME sec ix By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-20-2016 12:42
https://youtu.be/HBOfE2MoiL8 is a video showing how to look up interpretations. No narration
Topic Welder qualification according to ASME sec ix By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-20-2016 03:15
Yes the welder is qualified.
If the nozzle passes through the shell, the diameter of the nozzle is not a restriction based upon the qualification range of the welder.

At least that's how I recall an interpretation.

Have a good day.

Gerald
Topic Trying to Improve pWPS/PQR/WPS using Weld Office By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-19-2016 21:18
I previously worked as a support for Cspec and may be able to help. If you have some time, send me a message with a phone number and I will be glad too try to help.

Here is a video for creating a prequalified WPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82IwU_y_w88

What trouble are you having entering a pqr ?

Gerald
Topic Welder Qualification to D1.1 By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-19-2016 12:04
If something goes "Boom" in the night for a project requiring appropriate ASME or NBIC stamps then that contractorr should be FULLY aware of the requirements of the applicable codes.

When it comes to ASME BPV and Pipe requiring a stamp EVERYONE involved except the contractor will have a waiver of responsibility including the NDE company and the AI. Or at least all of the ones I have worked with. NDE, its usually in fine print.

I think SEC IX is pretty clear about the supervisory responsibility and those organizations that work outside of those requirements are the ones responsible for compliance.

I think that there is a great many companies that somehow feel responsibility for the qualifications somehow releases them from liability of their workmanship. Not ever seen evidence of that but my experience is limited.

There is so much more to performing quality welding than welder testing and certification.
Topic Welder Qualification to D1.1 By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-18-2016 12:33
NOTE: I agree with the requirement for witnessing the testing. There is absolutely no exception for this requirement within ASME Sec. IX. So the person who witnessed and supervised the test would have needed too have been an employee of the company at the time the test was administered.

There may be some exceptions within ASME Codes of construction, but Sec IX by itself, there are none.

That doesn't preclude another party from administering a test, however use of that welder in production may not comply with the applicable code.

The certification signature and "Welding Test Supervised By" lines on the Qualification Record are often overlooked.

Gerald Austin
Topic Welder Qualification to D1.1 By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-17-2016 12:37
Are you speaking to the qualification being done for two codes at one time or something else?
Topic Welder Qualification to D1.1 By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-17-2016 03:05
I would love to see the 3G uphill spray transfer test in person myself.
Topic Welder Qualification to D1.1 By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-16-2016 22:10
The acceptance criteria for D1.1 is more stringent than that for ASME Sec IX as is the Visual acceptance criteria. Bend dimensions are the same however D1.1 has additional requirements for preparation of bend specimens that differ slightly from those of Sec IX.
Topic Welder Qualification to D1.1 By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-16-2016 21:51
If the certification statement indicates the requirements of both codes were met, all variables for each code are recorded, what leads you to believe that the documents are invalid?

If the content of the form meets the requirements of each code AND there is a certified record (the wpqr) indicating the requirements for testing were met. I would have a difficult time NOT accepting the document.

Since there are different requirements for testing then the person who signed the record should be able to explain the differences (there are some).

I would be cautious rejecting a document that meets the requirements of the code or multiple codes.

As with much, an opinion only based on limited experience. I have done this myself in the past and can explain the differences.

EDIT: Note that they should have qualified WPS's on file for each code if they are doing production work on your project under both codes.

Gerald Austin
Topic pWPS thickness rang qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-15-2016 13:00
Thanks.
Topic pWPS thickness rang qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-15-2016 11:22
What is a pWPS ?
Topic What AWS Code/Standard details Welder Certification Renewal? By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-12-2016 22:11
I believe there are some exceptions to acceptance of qualification performed by others in B31.3. I'd have to look it up.

Recently tested quite a few welders for a project local to here and explained to them that statement in Sec IX regarding qualification. They and the end user accepted supervision from our testing facility. No ATF requirement either.

Hope all is well.
Topic Bend Test Results Help Needed By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-12-2016 10:47
Hmmmm. My thought is that if incomplete fusion is visible at any stage while inspecting it would be rejectable based upon the criteria listed in my previous post.

When I have cut straps I have noticed a line at the back side of the joint . I think it's LOF however cannot verify it visually (could be undercut or a rolled edge). When I bend the strap, if I see the in fused edge of the plate I reject it. I have had some where they did not open enough to see this and accepted them provided the dimensions were acceptable.

I will ponder this more though.

Have a good day Lawrence.
Topic Bend Test Results Help Needed By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-11-2016 18:47
That appears to a discontinuity related to fusion/penetration at the root. It is also a corner crack.

That discontinuity could possibly be observed prior to bending after backing is removed.

"The weld root for CJP groove welds shall be inspected and shall not have any cracks, incomplete fusion, or incomplete joint penetration"

I can't see I side the opening however if it revealed no tearing or stretching, the above defects mentioned would apply.

Just an opinion and subject to being wrong. That's how I would call it.
Topic AWS Accredited School Program By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-10-2016 23:21
If you are speaking of AWS Sense schools then they should have curriculum that meets the requirements of the sense program however that does not mean every class they offer meets those requirements.
Topic Bend testing? By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-10-2016 23:16
Note that AR400 does not meet the requirements of A514. Two slightly different mfg processes. If you are getting 400BHN out of A514, it's not A514.

AR 400 will have a higher yield than the grades/types of A514 available. The chemical composition may be the same however the heat treatment applied is different.
Topic What AWS Code/Standard details Welder Certification Renewal? By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-10-2016 12:46
http://www.aws.org/certification/detail/certified-welder-program has a button on the page for renewal and the applicable form.
Topic Bend testing? By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-09-2016 22:31
AWS D1.1 allows for additional bend radius based upon the base metal yield strength. If you look at the figure for the bend fixture, it is there.

It will bend at the proper radius. If the yield is way over 90KSI there may be issues but you should try it 1st. Its how the code says to qualify it. If you don't want to test your welds, bend a piece cut from the plate.
Topic Wps for d1.1 applications By pipewelder_1999 Date 02-04-2016 11:07
The WPS's can be as detailed/specific as you like as long as the requirements of clause 3 are addressed.

Opinion

A single WPS per joint would be the way to go if the individual WPS'S were used as a reference for verifying the joint configuration and providing useful information to the welder. This would eliminate the need to have a copy of D1.1 handy. However there is nothing that that says you cannot refer to another document on the WPS.

When WPS's are used there are 2 general ways they are applied.
1. They are documents that are mainly handled by QC and supervision and verified to be "code compliant" and must not fall into the hands of the welder. They are often brought out during audits and contact reviews.

2. They are used as a tool and always available for reference while welding and contain ranges that are specific to the application taking into account thickness, position, and process limitations.

You cannot buy a pWPS from an organization but if you were in the area, I would sell you a class on clause 3.

There are some software applications that make the process a bit easier.Here is a video I made quite a few years back showing it being done with WeldOffice by C-spec. https://youtu.be/82IwU_y_w88

Have a great day
Topic Trying to locate training By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-28-2016 17:34
I have a pipe welding course that is 160 hours that starts in Feb. Have room.

I am also considering starting a series of Welding Inspection courses (NOT CWI PREP) for topics such as contract review, material control, welder testing and certification, Weld Defects and interpretation, weld tracking, NDE Method Overview, Document Control, Non-Conformance Reporting, and others.

https://registration.xenegrade.com/wscc/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=10365 is a link to the pipe welding course.

I also have some one day pipe welding clinics on Saturdays but not much interest yet. https://registration.xenegrade.com/wscc/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=10357

Feel free to email me.

My email address is the same as my name (Note a period between the 1st and last name) followed by ws.edu. Or PM me here if you have any questions. Call me and I can let you know what my experience and abilities are and see if I can help you. Understand that we may be at the same level and I may not be much help.

Cell Number is 423-914-1481.

Office is 423-798-7991, (Will be out the afternoon today so cell is better)

Have a great day
Gerald.Austin
Topic best career oriented welding course By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-28-2016 16:56
Does CWB have a forum that may be a great place for him to ask those questions? I never really thought about the "funded" options.
Topic WPS Wire Diameter Change By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-27-2016 21:33
By no means an expert but would like to throw something out there for clarification. And forgive me if you were already aware of this.

1) A welder or Operator does not "Qualify" to use a WPS. He/She qualifies to weld within a range of variables designated for the production weld he/she is making.  A person could test on 3/8" thick material, be qualified to weld on material up to 3/4" and use a WPS in production that is qualified up to 2 inches. However because he/she is using that WPS, that does not mean he/she is qualifed to weld on 2" thick material.

2) WPS's are used a couple of ways
   a) To provide QC types with verification of an adequate paper trail that is code compliant for the project. Put all you can on one to cover all of the ranges possible and make sure you meet the code.
   b) To provide welders with clear and useful information related to the weld they are making that complies with the allowable range for the specific code. Place the information on the WPS in a manner that provides clear guidelines for usable paramters that are specific to the joint or joints including position.  Example, a prequalified WPS using 3/16" diameter E7018 on 5/16" butt joint in the vertical position, may very well "meet the code" however unless there is some serious "Welding magic" going on, its just wasted ink on paper.

Just my thoughts.

In my limited experience, most organizations are looking to create documents that fall more into a than b

Have a great day

Gerald Austin
Topic Best Qualification Test By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-26-2016 20:28
"So if we give them a test and it passes visual and the other required bend tests this welder is "certified" term used loosely."

Yes, provided the variable ranges for which they are qualified meet fall within the ranges to be welded on in production.

Understand that if you are fabricating items in accordance with D1.1, there is more to it than just performing welder qualification testing.
Attachment: WelderCertificationGA2_17_15.pptx - Here is something that may help...or cause more confusion. (919k)
Topic Be Aware... By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-25-2016 20:45
Maybe a small baby goat or two !
Topic Be Aware... By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-25-2016 02:03
PPE wouldn't have helped with that one. Take my chances with a 9" B&D Wildcat waaaay before crawling in there with that one!
Topic best career oriented welding course By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-25-2016 02:00
But, if one can burn the rods well, money is good. If one is interested in jobs where welding is "part" of the job, then other skills and abilities can be their primary job and welding will support what they do and they may not need to be greatly skilled in welding. 

I have cleared a few grand in a week and never once did I do anything except weld pipes/tubes together. No math, no drafting, no metallurgy, no inspection. Just my skills with my hands (which are average) . Not saying those other things aren't helpful sometimes, but that ability to weld stuff together is unmatched in my opinion.

Someone can learn in a classroom many things related to welding that are not actual welding, but when it comes to being a welder, being able to weld is essential and carries the most weight in many of the industries I have worked in.

My experience is somewhat limited so this is just one mans opinion. Being able to fit or do other tasks is a definite as I have also hired in as a welder and fitter and also as an inspector. So the more talents, the better.

A guy with a PHD in math, metallurgy, and the grand poobah of drafting that can weld "a little" is no match to that person that can weld anything on the job regardless of material, process, position, or accessibility. Again, an opinion based upon limited experiences.

Still, some good points and we can never learn too much.

I recently tested a guy that went through 5 mos of training 4 hours a day for 5 days a week. Still couldn't weld uphill with a 7018. He missed out on a 38 Hr construction job. Said they spent 2/3rds of their time in the classroom.
Topic best career oriented welding course By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-23-2016 14:27
A mig welding course will lead to employment sooner based upon the hours of training required. Consider it close to learning how to change oil, replace a waterpump, and do a tune up. Something that can put you to work but far from being able to rebuild an engine, install it, and getting it to run.

MIG can be learned in a relatively short period of time to a level suitable for entry level employment. 40 to 80 hours can get many to a level suitable to jump from a minimum wage job. I recently had a student that never welded and was working on a road crew laying asphalt and 40 hour of training later, he is working at a company MIG welding 5th wheels for tractor trailers. On the other end, I have had students that completed a 2 year course at another college and it was difficult to watch them struggle with the most basice welding exercises. Abilities can be somewhat related to the drive and skills of the individual.

GMAW (Mig) as a lifelong career may be limiting. My 1st welding job was MIG as a HS student. Though I have used the process since and the skills gained have been valuable, the ability to perform all processes and possession of a core knowledge related to welding has been what has provided me a fulfilling career. The training time began in HS and has continued since.

Here is something that may be worth a read.

http://weldinginstructors.org/ga/2015/02/how-much-training-is-needed-to-be-a-welder/

I looked at the course and it looked fine. Just remember, if 37.5 hours of training could lead to a well paying career with many options for employment, everyone wouild be doing it. There is a somewhat linear "effort to reward" relationship.

Have a great day!

Gerald Austin
Topic D17.1 - Define this condition, please. By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-22-2016 21:22
Not exactly sure why perfectly good Mil Stds are replaced with other documents. I read the forward but still don't get it.
Topic D17.1 - Define this condition, please. By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-22-2016 21:05
I would have a difficult time rejecting a welder qualification test for a FILLET welded sample based upon the criteria in the code only for the condition shown if the undercut on the welded side of the joint did not exceed .07t. The condition on the other side is not undercut as defined by any sources I am aware of.

I think this very condition (which can be difficult to control with some production settings) is why 17.1 allows for some IP at the root for thinner materials with fillet when performing qualification tests.  But that is just a guess.

So suggesting to your client that "cooler parameters" could prevent/minimize this type of condition could be something to minimize this is the future.
Topic D17.1 - Define this condition, please. By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-22-2016 20:52
If its a groove welded Tee joint then yup Table 7.1 applies as far as underfill goes.  Its bad and the code says so. If its designed as a fillet weld, I'd have a hard time providing a code paragraph to provide. Face or Root Underfill is not addressed for fillet welds.  Still wouldn't accept it as a production acceptable condition for a product unless the engineering authority gave me something.
Topic Flare Bevel Groove - Underfill? By pipewelder_1999 Date 01-22-2016 19:48
That's how I would feel about it.