Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Forum
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next  
Search
Topic Relationship between hydrotest pressure and working pressur By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-14-2016 13:27
That's the place to get an accurate answer. I am not sure but each piping category may have specific information that applies to that category. MAWP is referred to I am sure but without a code handy I cannot say.
Topic New Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-07-2016 12:41
Besides the format, I do like it. As an ex welding forum junkie, I do feel myself slipping back into multiple logins during the day.

But it is a MESS.
Topic Can i brazing with 99.99% fine silver wire? By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-06-2016 11:21
The eyeglass frames can be made of many different materials. Using a borax flux would not hurt anything. Regardless of what the filler metal does, the chances of oxidation/scaling are greatly reduced when using flux.

You could get on some jewelry making sites and probably get a better answer but except for a few alloys, I think flux would be the way to go.
Topic Metal Cored wire By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-04-2016 03:36
http://www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/job-knowledge/defects-solidification-cracking-044/

http://www.asminternational.org/documents/10192/1849770/06593G_Sample.pdf/bcce57ce-ef19-44e2-8d0e-88e5d23e5e05
Topic Metal Cored wire By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-04-2016 02:57
The center-line crease you see is probably the result of shrinkage and becomes more prominent with higher energy/travel speed welds. The last part to cool is usually along the center especially with a concave or flat profile.

A high depth to width ratio as in a deep penetrating fillet weld can cause shrinkage along the sides of the weld to be pretty rapid and the centerline of the weld has to absorb all of the shrinkage stress.

In extreme cases and certain conditions, it could be a crack however I have performed MT and PT on some of these indications and found nothing, in other cases I have.

A rapid travel speed, teardrop shaped puddle, and high voltages can work together to create this discontinuity. I would suggest cutting some samples and seeing if it is anything to be concerned with. Maybe it is, maybe it isnt.
Topic New Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-03-2016 13:41
http://membernetwork.aws.org/
Topic NAVSEA S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248 NAVSEA S9074-AR-GIB-010/278 By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-02-2016 16:21
Gotcha. I think they will probably just develop something and get it off to a Levell III. Is the TP271 different than the old standard as far as LIII qualifications?

Thanks

Gerald.
Topic NAVSEA S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248 NAVSEA S9074-AR-GIB-010/278 By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-02-2016 11:28
I may have someone contact you. I was going to get something together here for a govt. contractor. I thought the course had to be product specific?

Gerald
Topic starting small business By pipewelder_1999 Date 09-01-2016 10:11
No. It would not fall under D1.1. That is for steel structures. Typically the designer/engineer of a product would decide what code/specification would apply.

Not sure what the product is etc... but someone/some organization has to design it, figure out if it will be strong enough, decide what must be controlled during manufacture, and BE PREPARED to be responsible for any losses due to failure.

Just "welding it per code" is only a small part. Who selects the code? Gotta Read the scope in each one.  Or write your own internal product specification.

Point is, there is much more to designing and building a product that some certifications if that product may fail and cause damage/injury. Not saying tons of things arent "made" daily that work and always will. It just takes on a different appearance when it becomes your business and you are concerned with liability.
Topic Houstin Schools - Arclabs By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-31-2016 11:28
Some community colleges coffer courses that are short in duration that can sometimes be useful for building or rebuilding your skills received during training that occurred in the past.

The usefulness of the training for your particular situation is widely based upon your existing skills, how you learn, and how the instructor teaches. We offered a 40 hour course for $525.00 that had people that had had never welded and some that had 8-10 years experience. All of those improved skills.

Lincoln Electric and other mfgs have training schools that have 1 and two week courses that I myself would love to sit in on, just to watch em teach. They may also be a great resource.
Topic starting small business By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-31-2016 11:12
Welcome to the forum as a participant. There are many on here with their own businesses and should give you some better answers.

Your need for "certification" is based upon the products you weld and the codes that govern them OR how you sell or market your services. You as the business owner decide how you are going to proceed as far as your quality system etc...

There is a bit more to fabrication of products that a "solid weld".  You may build a widget whacker in which all of the welds hold but the material fails because of design flaws related to the service.

Your welds are not backed really by anything other than how they perform. Regardless of how you do things, you will ALWAYS be responsible for what you do. All of the inspection and records will never relieve that. However being aware of all jurisdictional requirements (where they apply), industry codes/standards for your product(where they apply), and a system in place to control your processes (Quality Manual, inspections, Procedures etc...) will help you better control the quality of what you do and show an intent for you to try to do things correctly.

Read an R-1 form or RT reader sheet. Big waivers of liability for the inspection agencies however nothing for the manufacturer/contractor.

For your specific products, you could look at building procedures for welding that are specific to the materials, processes, and joints you will be using. Having a welder who has tested means nothing without a procedure qualified for the application. yes, a satisfactory weld can be made without ANY papers but we are talking more compliance.

You should receive some more information soon.

Have a great day
Topic New Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-28-2016 12:48
I just went through this AM and made a few posts and tried to get caught up on what had been done, this is SOOOOO much easier.

Gerald
Topic Receiving "certifications" but not in AWS system. By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-28-2016 12:40
1) They let YOU know you can pass a test
2) The let someone else know you have previously passed a test to a certain code if documented.
3) It is something you can refer to on your resume.

The tests administered by an ATF are absolutely no different than those in a code. The difference may lie in the perceived validity of the test without the AWS backing.  That does not mean an ATF won't make mistakes or even violate the rules nor does it mean another organization WILL.

In my history, I have never been an AWS Certified Welder. However my resume has listed things such as

"Previously certified in accordance with (code of your choice) on (metals of choice) in the (positions) .

Other than getting in the boilermakers apprentice program, I have never shown past records of performance qualification to a potential employer. Show up with a hood, tools, skills. Use papers to start a conversation but when the potential for employment is hinged upon a piece of paper, reinforce your desire to show your skills.

There is NO WAY that a test performed by an organization other than an ATF can be used to represent a test in compliance with the AWS Standard for Certified welders.

EDIT: But that doesn't mean it is any less valid. I work at an ATF currently and we have tested more people NOT needing the "AWS Certified Welder" and just needed testing per code. I strongly suggest never resting your hopes on papers, just the ability to get em when you need em!
Topic New Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-28-2016 00:25
This one is much easier to use. The lack of different categories is making it hard to follow.
Topic Spam Posts By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-23-2016 12:02
Again, a reminder to those in charge. If AWS is too busy, I would be glad to delet spam posts on a regular basis.
Topic WPQR limitations on diameter and filler tensile strength. By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-18-2016 22:53
Though the welder follows a WPS when testing, when they are done annd passed, they may use ANY WPS provided the production weld does not require them to weld outside their range of qualification.

The welder qualifies to weld on a production joint. He uses a WPS when testing that meets the requirements for trhe test joint. When he does a production weld, the WPS must be qualified for the production conditions and he must be qualiifed for the production conditions. The welder may or may not be qualified to weld within all of t he limits of the WPS. In addition, the WPS may not be qualified to do all of the conditions the welder can.

Hope this helps.

Gerald Austin
Topic Simple Question about Welder Qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-18-2016 19:51
I am assuming D1.1. There are specific joint details called for in D1.1 for performance qualification test plates and reference is made to using a WPS. The WPS should apply to the joint being welded. That is its purpose.

However, the WPS may be able to be revised depending upon the code requirements for joint dimensions.

Gerald
Topic Combine 2 test results for 1 PQR By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-18-2016 19:47
There is no allowance in D1.5 for using 2 plates. in which one has impacts and the other does not. The cost for bends and tensiles will be a small part compared to the impacts.

I don't have a 2008 D1.5 so I may be completely out of touch. I am still in the "studying" process in preparation for assisting a company with developing a D1.5 FCAW WPS. Plates coming in tomorrow.

Gerald
Topic Suggestions for Ammeters By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-18-2016 02:17
Thanks. I found a fluke 325 that looks like something I can do.

The only thing that is critical just getting as accurate I can and a stable reading. I figured inverters may be a bit noisy.

Thanks for the advice.

Gerald
Topic Suggestions for Ammeters By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-17-2016 20:35
I intend to purchase a DC Ammeter for recording variables related to heat input for some D1.5 PQR's.

For voltage I will be using a regular off the shelf multimeter and take readings at the tip or neck. For amperage I am good with checking at the along the gun or the lead at the wire feeder.

I am wondering what people are using. I am not ready to put down the $ for a fluke unless I have to. I have seen some others that are listed as true RMS Ammeters by other companies. Does anyone have any hands on experience with something in the sub $200.00 range on inverter power supplies ? If so, what models have worked.

I have also considered an inline Shunt/Meter before at the wire feeder/lead connection.

I welcome any thoughts.

Thanks

Gerald Austin
Topic Fillet weld inspection By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-17-2016 19:48
The throat should meet the size of that specified. So regardless of the leg size, the throat must be that of a 1/4" fillet weld. However you can only measure the throat only if the contour is concave.

If the weld is flat or convex on the face, the throat will meet that of the leg size. If the face is concave, the throat has no relationship to the leg size and thus a throat gauge is required.

In some countries and even with some companies here, fillet weld sizes are specified by the throat dimension required.

http://www.weldingdata.com/FilletWeldgage.htm may help but I am not sure. It is in the context of the question.

I think, if the throat meets that of a 1/4" and the contour is concave, the size is met.

Gerald
Topic Spam Posts By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-12-2016 10:37
I would be more than happy to assist with deleting Spam!
Topic Shielding Gas Manifold System Leaks By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-11-2016 16:18
Thus the reality of WELDED vs mechanical fittings.  Hmmm 10k per month, wonder how many months to pay for REAL piping? :)

Can you reduce your manifold pressure a bit to reduce your losses in the meantime or are you using flow control at the stations that requires the pressure you are running?

Gerald
Topic Welder Qualification, using B2.1 SWPS, to other Standards By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-10-2016 14:06
I agree. I think the system of testing welders should be a documented system and auditable.

I let students know that a certification is just a document that shows they had the ability to pass a test and that most companies worth working for will want you to test again and if they accept a prior record of certification and are not familar with the test, use extreme caution.

I let contractors know that end users/owners may or may nnoot acccept what is provided and to also know the difference between an "AWS certified Welder" and a Welder Certified in accordance with AWS XX.XX. And that the welder has displayed no different skills and is limited by the range of qualification allowed by the applicable code.

The wallet cards in my opinion are TRASH and I would never accept one. I want to see a signed WPQR with all of the data required by the code.

I think the term "certified" is the most abused in the industry.  I myself would love to incorporate video recording into testing but haven't figured out where the $ comes from.

Have a great day Larry.

Gerald
Topic Welder Qualification, using B2.1 SWPS, to other Standards By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-10-2016 11:07
Our quality system, the supporting WPQR, and AWS D1.1 allow for use of an SWPS. The applicability of an SWPS (or any other WPS) for production is at the discretion of the Engineer. For performance qualification the engineer has the right to accept or reject the qualifications on the basis of using an SWPS, but if he does, he has no sound engineering basis to do so provided all requirements of D1.1 were met during performance qualification. The WPS is NOT the WPQR.

As an ATF we recently ran into the need for this when a customer needed GTAW WPQ's quickly. (As to why GTAW is not prequalified but secret voodoo complicated spray/pulse/waveform controlled GMAW is, beats me)

When SWPS's are used, we will review the SWPS AND the code requirements with the welder. The applicable acceptance criteria is referred to on the WPQR both for visual and destructive tests.

The WPQR references the WPS but also references the code AWS D1.1. Thus a record with evidence as to what was done.

It is my understanding that SWP's are typically supported by multiple PQR's which are performed in accordance with various codes. 

"All SWPSs are supported by Procedure Qualification Records (PQRs) which meet the rules of AWS B2.1 and which in addition are intended to meet the rules of the major codes which govern the intended applications such as AWS Structural Codes (D1.1, D1.2, D1.3, etc.), AWS Sheet Metal Welding Code (D9.1),ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX, NAVSEA Technical Publication......" Taken from http://www.aws.org/standards/page/standard-welding-procedure-specifications-swps

Though the ranges listed on the SWPS for joints may allow for joints outside the scope of a code, using one is not a violation of any kind per D1.1. If an SWPS is followed during performance qualification there is absolutely noting wrong with it provided the requirements of D1.1 are met.

If anyone is in a situation in which the WPS is the sole source for welding details, there are bigger problems. No drawings? No reference to code requirements? Just a welder with a piece of paper ?

There are two lines of thought in my mind when it comes to documents related to welding. 1) Make them specific to an individual joint with specific settings for the application, position, etc...  OR 2) Make them to meet the requirements of the code (which was reviewed by many industry "experts") and if supplementary information is needed, supply it to the welder OR just let him use the skill that he/she has to make sound welds. In cases where strict adherence to the OH SO CRITICAL amperage/voltage/travel speed/ waveform/solar flares is needed, supervise what the welder is doing and provide monitoring..

I usually qualify and test our procedures or prepare prequalified ones. It is my opinion that performing volumetric testing as required by D1.1 does nothing to establish the validity of the parameters used during a PQR so I try to stay away from that but do have  GMAW Short Circuit that has passed bends and tensile for Sec IX that I will probably do again for Volumetric testing and Mechanicals per D1.1. Just in case.

The above is just an opinion based upon my understanding so is very likely to have points worth discussing, correcting or clarifying. Its early so I haven't reached my quota of mistakes yet!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Gerald Austin
Greeneville Tn
Topic thickness X 1.1 ASME IX By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-09-2016 23:40
Sorry but not sure the questions. But maybe its like a game of jeopardy.

GMAW Short Circuit Transfer is a process ....
Topic essential variable By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-09-2016 21:30
For D1.5, most of the variables for performance would be under para 5.24. Tak a look there.

Do understand that the electrode size on the D11.5 wps must be followed.
Topic Old Forum New Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-07-2016 20:06
Sometimes, a little spam with good people is better than prime rib without em!
Topic Old Forum New Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-07-2016 18:23
I think that is great news!

Thanks to all for the efforts put forth letting AWS know how important this is.

Have a great day

Gerald
Topic New AWS Member Network By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-05-2016 18:15
I received a response as well a little while ago.

We will just have to see what happens. It is definitely their sandbox (with a few toys freely contributed by both registered and non-registered sandbox users). I do think they are still discussing the issue but there is really nothing to lead me to believe this forum will stay intact as it is.

^^^^^^^
I was wrong
Topic New AWS Member Network By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-05-2016 15:06
Its great to go back and read old posts. Thise of members who are gone, those still here, and even my own. Hate to lose that!
Topic New AWS Member Network By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-05-2016 12:06
I sent one a few days back myself. No response though.

I am hoping this forum isn't locked. Surely the new one and the original one can "peacefully co-exist".

Gerald
Topic Kudos By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-02-2016 16:47
I appreciate your time on the phone earlier and look forward to working with you if it comes to that.
Topic Manual to semi automatic GTAW By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-01-2016 19:54
:grin:
Topic Manual to semi automatic GTAW By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-01-2016 17:57
What para. requires that?

QW-356 makes no distiction for the method used to add the filler metal and if its soomewhere else, boy have I messed up some papers.

Gerald
Topic Banned By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-01-2016 15:45
Pretty sure a backup of whichever database is on the backend and then working with it as opposed to the live data may be the way to eliminate that from happening in the future. Even if you have remote hosting, phpmyadmin may handle making a duplicate. I m sure there are more elegant ways but that is one that comes to mind quickly.

Would love to help with such a project but not really experienced in such things.
Topic About to start asme sect.IX B31.3 any tips By pipewelder_1999 Date 08-01-2016 00:04
If you are not working under the direction of someone experienced with the code I would strongly suggest you let whoever the party is you are working with know.

Not doing a job you may not be ready for is better than doing one. You do of course have to gain experience but understand that in some cases there isn't any easing into it. There is not much to learn on a forum in a short amount of time. If you don't have someone to get you up to speed, it could be a rocky road.

The key to a code being "easy" is understanding how it works. However going on a project may include the need to have an understanding very quickly.

There will project specifications and drawings that should let you know the piping categories however each individual piping specification may have requirements outside those of the referenced codes. B31.3 has piping categories that are usually specified by the owner/engineer. Each category will have its own requirements including amount of inspection and acceptance criteria. My 1st few days on a new project involve finding the project related documents and verifying that they are the latest versions applicable to the project.

The duties as a welding inspector can vary widely depending on who you are representing.

As someone who made some pretty significant mistakes in the past, my number one rule is "Know what you know, know what you don't know"

Have a great day and sorry there's not a cliff notes version of "Inspecting per B31.3" or a few youtube videos.  I suggest getting your hands on a code asap for study. Even if its an older version it will help. Using a code is not knowing the content but is knowing how to find it.

I still have difficulties with a new code and I have been in inspecting and reading codes since the late 80's. I have been wrapping my brain around D1.5 for 2 hours or so a day for the last 2 weeks and thats JUST for qualifying a procedure. Be careful as you go forward and take the time to get familar with the code.

Gerald Austin
Topic Activity 7 years ago vs now. By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-31-2016 02:08
I was looking through old posts just reading things I had written in the past and came across the topic related to the "Off Topic bar and Grill"

Its kinda interesting how many people expressed an opinion on this and commented versus the activity related to the current issues at hand. I wonder how the activity overall has changed since then.

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?pid=157343
Topic Kudos By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-30-2016 21:19
My wife and I spoke of that and when I was messaging Allens wife she mentioned a discussion they had recently about letting people know.
Topic Banned By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-30-2016 15:20
I just posted one with a link one I just setup just in case. Wonder what will happen there ?
Topic Just in Case- A Place to gather. By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-30-2016 15:11
I want to say 1st off that my preference is for this forum in its current state (with the exemption of useless spammers) is one of the greatest online assets in the welding community. Part of that is because of the long history of content entered by members of this community , some of which are no longer with us, and by the current participants.

Should this forum be stopped all of a sudden, I think many of us would lose contact with those people with opinions and knowledge we highly value. I really hope that doesn't happen and the leaders at AWS (Which I would think are the Members), would take into consideration the value of this forum for those in the welding community.

I sincerely hope that AWS will work this out with the following.

1) keep this forum AS- IS except for lack of spammer moderation.

2) Preserve all of the existing content of this forum for searching.

3) Create a "Member Only" forum for AWS members that helps AWS prosper in reaching whatever their goals are.

Gerald Austin
Topic Kudos By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-30-2016 13:51
Here is abut 10 minutes of "setup" time.  If a group decided they wanted to get another forum going, I would be glad to help however I think since this forum is still working, and nothing has actually "happened" yet it may not be needed.

The site name is one I already had and other are still available. Understand I am by no means an expert in online forums etc.. but have quite a few years as a hack with websites. But my services are here.

http://weldertraining.org/forum/
Topic Kudos By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-30-2016 13:39
I would be glad to get a domain purchased (Only Costs about $25.00 a year).

This software is free and hosting can be done for <$30.00 per month.

Many others exist, when I get done with this message I will make one up real quick.
Topic CWI test results By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-29-2016 21:10
Congratulations
Topic To know about FCAW By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-29-2016 11:43
There are no "Study materials" for certification that are as valuable as instructor led guidance during hands on practice.

You very well may see some great videos etc...  You need an understanding of the process, the variables and how they affect welding, and MOST OF ALL, some welding time under supervision of an instructor that cann reinforce the theoretical topics related to the process.

The above is just an opinion of one man, so treat it as such.
Topic Weld MP35N to 15-5PH Possible? By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-29-2016 01:46
NiCrFe-3 has been my friend many times on "just gotta stick together" as has NiCrMo-3/4
Topic Heat Input Qualifications D1.5 2015 clarification By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-28-2016 12:23
I interpret the average to be calculated without the values for the root and cap passes because of the statement ..." The average heat input for the test shall be calculated using the calculated heat input value for all passes exempting the root and cap passes...."

I can however  say this code has been an adventure to get to know in the past few weeks.
Topic Getting to know each other, another member passed By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-28-2016 02:55
The link above will show you all of the posts made under his username.
Topic You killed it anyhow By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-27-2016 22:01
Thanks
Topic Getting to know each other, another member passed By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-27-2016 15:49
Posted it on the General Weldinng section