Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Forum
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next  
Search
Topic A forum Member gone-Aevald By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-27-2016 15:49
I have been wondering about Allan Evald as he was one of a few active member on a LinkedIn instructors group yet I hadn't seen any posts or responses too messages I sent.

I am terribly saddened to report that it looks like he has passed away. I questioned the other instructor by email and received confirmation

"Allan did pass on July 14 @ 12:45pm.
There will be a Celebration of Life on Aug. 6 @1pm here at LCC.
He was a super guy, good friend and wonderful working partner.
He will be missed everywhere."

In my journey to become a better teacher, he was instrumental in providing some guidance along the way. An extremely sharing person. I really wish I would have been able to meet him face to face. It hit me a bit harder than I thought it would just being an "online" acquaintance.

If you get a chance to meet someone whom you know from the forum, I suggest taking the time to do it. I know I have met a couple and am thankful.

Maybe take a few minutes and look through some of the posts of a great man in the area of sharing welding information.
[url=]
https://app.aws.org/forum/forum_search.pl?words=&user=aevald&board=0&field=body&min=&max=&order=desc%5b/url%5d

I am thankful to Our Lord for all of the blessings I have. One of them being the what I get from the people never seen.

Gerald

EDIT: From Allans Wife

"Any comments that people would want to share can be sent to me by email or on the Caringbridge.org website and I will share it with our children"

The caringbridge website is https://www.caringbridge.org/public/allanevald
Topic Getting to know each other, another member passed By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-27-2016 14:57
I have been wondering about Allan Evald as he was one of a few active member on a LinkedIn instructors group yet I hadn't seen any posts or responses too messages I sent.

I am terribly saddened to report that it looks like he has passed away. I questioned the other instructor by email and received confirmation

"Allan did pass on July 14 @ 12:45pm.
There will be a Celebration of Life on Aug. 6 @1pm here at LCC.
He was a super guy, good friend and wonderful working partner.
He will be missed everywhere."

In my journey to become a better teacher, he was instrumental in providing some guidance along the way. An extremely sharing person. I really wish I would have been able to meet him face to face. It hit me a bit harder than I thought it would just being an "online" acquaintance.

If you get a chance to meet someone whom you know from the forum, I suggest taking the time to do it. I know I have met a couple and am thankful.

Maybe take a few minutes and look through some of the posts of a great man in the area of sharing welding information.
[url=]
https://app.aws.org/forum/forum_search.pl?words=&user=aevald&board=0&field=body&min=&max=&order=desc%5b/url%5d

I am thankful to Our Lord for all of the blessings I have. One of them being the what I get from the people never seen
EDIT: From Allans Wife

"Any comments that people would want to share can be sent to me by email or on the Caringbridge.org website and I will share it with our children"

The caringbridge website is https://www.caringbridge.org/public/allanevald

Gerald
Topic Weld MP35N to 15-5PH Possible? By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-26-2016 15:50
What is the intended application? Sticking together and suitable foor service are widely different ranges. The materials you mention have vastly different mechanical properties that require consideration during design annd engineering of a product.

Pieces joined together that are dis-similar may lose some of the properties in the WM or HAZ.  Both are weldable alloys and your best bet would to perform testing using filler metals suggested by the manufacturer. If none are suggested for the bimetallic weld, try one with each of the filler metals suggested for each base metal.

This would probably be best answered by someone familar with the application and service conditions. If you are making some Yard art, you have a great deal of fllexability, if you are making surgical implants or aerospace equipment,  its an entirely different story and in need of some actual research and testing that is far beyond the scope of online forums.

Consulting an actual metallurgist would be a great place to start however there very well may be some here that are familar with this material.  (More the Nickel Cobalt than the PH Stainless). In addition, you failed to mention the condition in which the 15-5 ph is supplied which would propably be of interest to someone smarter than I that ccould give you some real help.

Old welders like me,,, i just start with RN-82 if anything seems odd :)

Hopefuully you will find some help and welcome to the forum.

I'd like too ask, What brings you here? How did you hear about this forum? I would imagine working with those materials, you would be looking in quite a few places.

Have a great day and good luck. I'm looking forward to some responses that help you out. Tell us more about the product though.

Gerald Austin
Topic Welding Forums (Cross Posted) By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-26-2016 12:10
Just tried, It let me. I noticed that there are onlyy 38 members now so something happened.
Topic Welding Forums (Cross Posted) By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-26-2016 12:08
Hmmmm. I was able to comment but it was only on mine.
Topic Welding Forums (Cross Posted) By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-25-2016 14:44
Works on my phone. No posts exist but prior blog entries are visible and can be commented on.
Topic Forum User Email Addresses POST HERE !! By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-25-2016 11:12
Here is mine
Attachment: contact.jpg - Contact info (48k)
Topic what this forum is about By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-24-2016 03:19
So many Great posts by so many people passionate about sharing and gaining knowledge! Those and the others mentioned along with many of current company are exceptional in my book.
Topic WPS and Base Metals By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-24-2016 02:31
Does QW-403.5(b) apply to the welding you will be doing. Is it listed as a "supplementary essential" variable for your process in the code? If yes, do supplementary essential variables apply to the qualification of your procedure?

If QW-403.5(b)is listed as an "essential variable" then it applies always.

Though I could have answered your question more directly, looking at it like this may help.
Topic Certified Welding Engineer By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-24-2016 02:22
You may be able to search the post for CWENG or click this link to see posts with that in the text.

https://app.aws.org/forum/forum_search.pl?words=Cweng&user=&board=0&field=body&min=&max=&order=desc

Of course the info from AWS is a resource that you may already be aware of but here it is again. http://www.aws.org/certification/detail/certified-welding-engineer

Have a great day. Wish I could help you with my experience but engineer I am not. Wish I was sometimes but cant think of 4 years of welding experience I would have traded for it yet.

Welcome to the best welding forum in the world...while it lasts!

Gerald
Topic Welding Forums (Cross Posted) By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-24-2016 02:13
I think ANYTHING that does away with this forum is a considerable loss to the welding community .  Sure a new AWS Forum with some ACTUAL support from AWS and a few neat and shiny ads in the WJ may very well get some membership up for the new forum but it is my opinion it will take years to get the content up to that contained in this forum. Individuals that are currently online  increasing their knowledge using various resources do so because thats what they like to do.

This original forum works fine as is except for a lack of moderation. The entire source code is open source. A few programmers experience with scripting languages and databases could easily "upgrade" this forum to include some security to minimize spam.

My desire is for AWS to continue with their new forum but keep the "original" and keep the content not only available for everyone, but allowed to continue and grow.

The new forum would be a great resource to get in touch with the ever more difficult to reach AWS Staff. Maybe get a code interpretation done in a manner that is a little more modern, Maybe even have online committee meetings that include individuals other that the often "corporate sponsored" participants. MAYBE EVEN EVERY MEMEBER could vote on committee topics and the results be shown in REAL time.   It would make a great tool for open discussions regarding committee topics, AWS Membership Issues, and other programs offered by AWS.

AWS is about money. But of course I don't work for free either yet anyone that posts content useful to "MEMBERS ONLY" will be working for free.

Welding has been a lifelong experience for me and I get a great deal of enjoyment both expanding my knowledge and helping others.

Many years ago I was trying to make a free moodle site for welding related training (Inspection, Basic Welding Theory etc..) . I asked AWS for copyright permission to use some of the terms. They were an extremely long time responding, gave me limited permission, and stated that this was part of their "revenue". I understand it somewhat but it still let me know where they are.

Its not only AWS. I have recently come to the conclusion that training and education is more of a business in which administrators, deans, and overall organizations gain revenue based upon the work of those who are knowledgeable in a specific area.

Back in the late 90's I let my 1st CWI number expire after the 6th year. When I called to see what could be done, they were adamant about me paying a "late fee" on top of the renewal fee. This would have put the cost near or over that of taking the whole test again. When I explained that to them on the phone, I could hear the exasperation in their voice when they realized I would just take the whole test again.

The annual reports in the  WJ's show the revenue generated by various sources. Certification is the big cash cow. I doubt the new forum will make a big dent in both membership or overall revenue however that is my very narrow view of things.  Because of better advertising and promotion, maybe some new members will be generated, maybe some old members that were afraid or restricted from getting on a "public" forum will be allowed. 

But regardless of any future benefits, I can't see the need to get rid of the original forum. I think the original forum would be a tremendous asset to anyone in the industry. I would probably participate in both if the new forum was used as a tool to communicate with staff and address some AWS Specific Questions.

However THE ENTIRE STAFF OF AWS CANNOT match the value of the experience that has been shared on the original forum.

Maybe once the moderators get done with the Pallets and Toilet Seat posts I notified them about, they will take my extra posts off.
Topic My opinion on Welding Forums By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-24-2016 02:08
I think ANYTHING that does away with this forum is a considerable loss to the welding community .  Sure a new AWS Forum with some ACTUAL support from AWS and a few neat and shiny ads in the WJ may very well get some membership up for the new forum but it is my opinion it will take years to get the content up to that contained in this forum. Individuals that are currently online  increasing their knowledge using various resources do so because thats what they like to do.

This original forum works fine as is except for a lack of moderation. The entire source code is open source. A few programmers experience with scripting languages and databases could easily "upgrade" this forum to include some security to minimize spam.

My desire is for AWS to continue with their new forum but keep the "original" and keep the content not only available for everyone, but allowed to continue and grow.

The new forum would be a great resource to get in touch with the ever more difficult to reach AWS Staff. Maybe get a code interpretation done in a manner that is a little more modern, Maybe even have online committee meetings that include individuals other that the often "corporate sponsored" participants. MAYBE EVEN EVERY MEMEBER could vote on committee topics and the results be shown in REAL time.   It would make a great tool for open discussions regarding committee topics, AWS Membership Issues, and other programs offered by AWS.

AWS is about money. But of course I don't work for free either yet anyone that posts content useful to "MEMBERS ONLY" will be working for free.

Welding has been a lifelong experience for me and I get a great deal of enjoyment both expanding my knowledge and helping others.

Many years ago I was trying to make a free moodle site for welding related training (Inspection, Basic Welding Theory etc..) . I asked AWS for copyright permission to use some of the terms. They were an extremely long time responding, gave me limited permission, and stated that this was part of their "revenue". I understand it somewhat but it still let me know where they are.

Its not only AWS. I have recently come to the conclusion that training and education is more of a business in which administrators, deans, and overall organizations gain revenue based upon the work of those who are knowledgeable in a specific area.

Back in the late 90's I let my 1st CWI number expire after the 6th year. When I called to see what could be done, they were adamant about me paying a "late fee" on top of the renewal fee. This would have put the cost near or over that of taking the whole test again. When I explained that to them on the phone, I could hear the exasperation in their voice when they realized I would just take the whole test again.

The annual reports in the  WJ's show the revenue generated by various sources. Certification is the big cash cow. I doubt the new forum will make a big dent in both membership or overall revenue however that is my very narrow view of things.  Because of better advertising and promotion, maybe some new members will be generated, maybe some old members that were afraid or restricted from getting on a "public" forum will be allowed. 

But regardless of any future benefits, I can't see the need to get rid of the original forum. I think the original forum would be a tremendous asset to anyone in the industry. I would probably participate in both if the new forum was used as a tool to communicate with staff and address some AWS Specific Questions.

However THE ENTIRE STAFF OF AWS CANNOT match the value of the experience that has been shared on the original forum.
Topic AWS D1.2 - Side Bends for 3/8 Plate Procedure Qualification By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-24-2016 01:00
I have noticed this in D1.5 if I recall. Not sure why they work for one D1.x code and not another.

I don't have access to a D1.2 so I'm not much help.

Gerald
Topic Rate of Deposition By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-18-2016 13:05
If you operate using the same settings, the deposition rate is the same. The thing that may change is the production factor due to increased fatigue of the operator.

Deposition efficiency may also change as the overhead position with some processes due to spatter loss and stub loss.

For an overall calculation of costs, factors besides the deposition rate of the process need to be known.
Topic Needing Responses from Members and Non-Members Using Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-17-2016 18:23
I have been an AWS Member since 86 off and on and a member here since 2001 ish according to my profile. There have been years in which I gained NOTHING from my AWS membership other than welding journals. There has NEVER been a year go buy that I didn't gain something from this forum.

I do feel bad that I MAY have used the forum during times when my AWS Membership dues were not paid.

Brent,
We used to be able to create a survey using the forum software but it looks to be disabled now. You could post a similar question on an online form if the responses get numerous.
Topic New Closed Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-15-2016 17:31
I think the new forum with maybe some pinnned posts reminding users of the content here would be great.

However with membership of any group, there should be "perks". The welding Journal for instance is often avaialable to Non-Members online for free. What is left....book discounts...seminar discounts....access to a section library (easier said than done).

I do truly hope this forum stays searchable. I beleive with a few moderators and utilization of the features available through the Mwforum scripts, this forum could function as-is for quite awhile. The only problem I see with it is the Spam and thats something that a few moderators could handle by instantle deletinng users that post anything not welding related.

Back to work for me. Have agreat day.
Topic WPS for Welding Gouge in Shaft By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-14-2016 18:54
Surfacing or Buttering is only used in reference to correcting dimensions for fitup. If you are using A668 and concerned about D1.1 compliance unnderstand that there is more to it than the joint design as the material is not listed.

Filler Metal Match is a small part of the whole process.

SIMILAR TO is a statement that should be used with caution. I don't have enough experience with that specific material  but if you were making me a new product, an I specified that product be made from A668, I would expect you to assure that any processing that could change the properties would be performed in accordance with the requirments of the material specification.

I suggest not worrying about what D1.1 says and testing to assure that the properties required are maintained. Sometimes there is more to the QC than having a document that references a code. Weld a sample, do some testing on the BM and HAZ to verify properties fall within range of the original material.

It is possible that I am overthinking the whole scenario and those with more experience with the materials and applications are bettter suited to tell you what you need. Have patience with my ramblings. :)

Gerald
Topic WPS for Welding Gouge in Shaft By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-14-2016 17:41
That is a normalized and tempered material and I would suggest qualification of a procedure that verifies the mechanical properties intended for end use are maintained.

A written procedure should be required but formost it should be one that maintains the desired properties of the base metal in a manner that is suitable for the application.

In my experience gouges at the journal were less critical than those in the body of the shaft however that was decided by the engineering department of the company.

The joint would be a Surfacing Weld. If this is a rotating element of equipment, D1.1 would not apply unless mentioned by the MFG. If the end product you are providing must meet the requirements of the A668 Gr E, then look in that specification for limitations on weld repairs.

This (IMO) would be an engineered repair and should be looked at closely.

Gerald
Topic Admin By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-14-2016 15:33
Send a message to anieves
Topic New Closed Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-14-2016 00:57
I'd have to disagree with you but of course we are both just offering opinions. It has gotten a little heavier in advertising over the years but I find it as a pretty good resource. I also have thoughts about it, but not "fails"

I personally would like to see information geared towards the welder as opposed to management and supervision however I understand who their customer is. Its Industry as a whole and not the welder.  Sometimes the "American Welder" articles seem a bit abstract however it could be me being out of touch with whats really happening in industry.

Another thing I would love to see is actual reviews of products and equipment. Not just an article that looks like its talking about some new process but is actually pushing a specific manufacturers equipment for super duper dynamic pulse glob circuit welding.

What ways do you think it fails ? 

Have a good day
Topic deleted By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-12-2016 22:27
For SMAW, I believe the only code or specification in which one will find the mysterious 2-1/2" times the core wire diameter limitation is in AWS A5.1.

Topic New Closed Forum By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-11-2016 14:38
I myself am interested in the beta testing to see if it may be a useable forum. I think other than the spam and lack of moderation of members (Validate Email Addresses, Moderate 1st posts for approval etc..) that this forum is the best. I also like eng-tips and a few others.

I too think limiting it to AWS members will be a limiting factor but we will find out. The true error on the part of AWS will be if they do not somehow archive this forum for searching purposes.

Since many have contributed and AWS has claimed "ownership" of the contents, I am a bit troubled by the whole thing.

We will see how it goes.

Gerald
Topic deleted By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-11-2016 14:20
If I remember correctly, we were taught that is C-School and it was based upon heat input limitations. Some of the welding procedures from NNSY and PSNSY controlled heat input for HY80 and also specified a minimum and maximum length of electrode meltoff for a given length of weld .

Procedures were the only restrictions I ever recall however I may not be sure about NS 250-1500 and NAVSEA 389-0317. 

The requirements for bead width are pretty slim as far as a variable for procedure qualification. Heat input was referred to however the statement doesn't refer to bead width (which may not be an accurate variable related to heat input).

"From 248"
"Heat input requirements shall be specified for base materials with toughness
requirements. Combination limits of amperage, voltage and travel speed shall
be specified for the ranges of each parameter. Equivalent means of limiting
heat input (for example, nomographs or for shielded metal-arc, bead length
methods) are permissible. Simple reference to a formula is unacceptable.
Requirements for heat input shall comply with the applicable fabrication
document in all cases. "

Many times the things we are taught in schools stick with us and we never check out the sources other than what the instructor said.

Have a good day.

Gerald
Topic Welding and Pace Makers By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-05-2016 21:21
I asked my EP about the problems with Afib and the possible need for a pacemaker and he didn't seem to concerned however I am not at that stage yet. There are however a few articles online referring to maximum amps etc when welding with a pacemaker.

My afib comes and goes randomly so no hardware needed yet.

I figure if it happens, I will just take up brain surgery or something. I don't think they have to keep a continuity log!

Gerald
Topic Welder Continuity Logs By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-05-2016 21:16
But cant the "Log" take on any format?

I the undersigned hereby certify that that all welders listed below as of this date have continually welded with XXAW and have had no period of time greater than 6 Mos as specified in Quality Manual para  xx.xx.x .  This is based upon existing manufacturing practices which limit employees designated as welders to only perform welding and no other tasks. Continued employment represents continued welding with process XXAW. This statement is supported by timekeeping records for specific projects and may be audited if reason exists to question the abilities of any welders.

I have also seen the back side of WPQ's used as a log.

It can be as simple or as complicated as one wants to make their quality system.

AISC has a pretty extensive "certification" program however having been in some shops, it is sometimes, just "a program". I think a continuity log should be used in any work in which the governing code requires continuity be maintained. It can just get complicated when people think it has to be extremely detailed. Of course with the ability to computerize information so easily, I can't think of a reason to not have one for any fabricator (AISC or just your plain jane).
Topic Welder Continuity Logs By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-02-2016 02:30
6 Mos. Done by an employer or at an ATF and of course includes a Fee. https://app.aws.org/certification/docs/Maintenance.pdf
Topic Welder Continuity Logs By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-02-2016 02:24
Lawrence,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Do you think the differences in quality are based upon welder being tested every two years or possible quality system requirements of the CWB certification scenarios. I see such major differences in standards outside the US that seem so much more detailed I wonder why our building, bridges, boilers and pressure vessels aren't just falling apart at an astounding rate.

I would think if a quality system is in place that monitors quality, a degradation of an employees abilities would become evident without relying on a test. I do surely understand the issues with aging and vision not to mention the need to verify near vision acuity. One spot of LOF or porosity in a bend and what happens, is the person out of a job? I haven't read a CWB  standard but do wonder how a failed test is handled. If they fail their test, does their work come into question that they did the day before?

We know welding is not a perfect science and many a good welders have made a bad weld. Or at least in the industries I have worked in. There is really no right or wrong in any of the systems, they just are what they are. I have little experience outside my little world so I thank you for taking the time to entertain my thoughts/questions etc...

Gerald
Topic Welder Continuity Logs By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-01-2016 15:27
"...have to..." is the key and was in the context of fulfilling code type requirements. Also I was referring more to welding inspectors vs NDE method inspectors which in my opinion are two different things for many methods.

The good thing about inspections is that I don't need a log since I keep all of my inspection reports thus I have objective quality evidence of inspections performed which is MUCH more reliable than a log. 

I do think keeping a record of things is a good idea but does little to show proficiency at at process. It just shows you did it. I watched a guy come in, change batteries every morning on a USN 50, inspect welds, and never once calibrate the machine over a 4 day period. His documentation looked GOOD though!
Topic Welder Continuity Logs By pipewelder_1999 Date 07-01-2016 14:07
Even to stray farther!
Do you notice any difference in actual product quality in fabrications under the jurisdiction of CWB standards, or even ISO? 

What basis is there to think that someone who welds regularly somehow loses skills over a 2 year period. I wonder if there was any type of "Study" to show this or maybe just a bunch of inspectors and quality people sitting in a meeting thinking "Here how we can take care of those pesky welders"

We all know, as we gain experience our skills go down! Welding inspectors don't have to maintain "continuity" or even perform well on the job in many cases.

I need another cup of coffee!

Have a great day

Gerald
Topic Welder Continuity Logs By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-30-2016 12:58
Not required to have traceable information by ASME Sec IX or AWS D1.1 however that does not preclude it being in their project specific documents.
Topic Coupon Definition By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-29-2016 12:13
May be wrong but I think the 6" length of weld is required for RT and bends. But for Rt you are right, OAL length doesn't matter for RT.
Topic Coupon Definition By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-28-2016 09:55
It happens to all of us :)

Have a good day Al.

Gerald
Topic Coupon Definition By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-28-2016 02:36
So would 2 pcs of pipe 3" long not be suitable as a coupon? Please enlighten me as I see nothing wrong with dimension?

The dimensions for bend specimens are listed as 6" or as required.
Topic Coupon Definition By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-28-2016 01:11
a weld or braze assembly for procedure or performance qualification testing. The coupon may be any product from plate, pipe, tube, etc., and may be a fillet weld, overlay, deposited weld metal, etc.

EDIT: From ASME Sec IX Definitions
Topic New AWS Member Network Coming Soon! By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-27-2016 20:38
That could really be deep. I could see the individual codes but going deeper than that could become difficult to manage.
Topic Faying Surface - Separation By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-27-2016 11:06
On this specific project, I was representing an engineering company for a power company. These were SCR's for coal plants. The project specifications were outrageous. There were of course many fabrication issues. The beam copes were a recurring issue. If I remember correctly the bead was a torch gouge of unknown origin.

After the project was over, I was called to the jobsite by the end user project manager to explain why I hadn't provided shipment releases of many of the SCR modules. As the Site PM, My boss from the engineering firm, and the vice president of the fabricator looked on, I pulled out over 100 pages from my inspection database and asked them "what piece are you wondering about". We would locate the piece and I would show them the still outstanding item. After a half dozen or so in which nobody could explain why the issues still existed The fabricator got mad and said HE HAD SEEN ENOUGH after I was asked to show them the penetration in the SCR casing with a visibly cracked weld where a hole had been mislocated, patched, welded, and cracked.[http://www.weldingdata.com/pictures/92357103-3QCID203-1.JPG]

The project as a whole was something. Any spliced stiffeners (1-1/2" or 2" angle) 100% UT.  Panel flatness < 3/8" during trial fit (panels 60+ foot long)and many other things that could have easily been items referred to in D1.1.

The database I made kept track of PO.s, change orders, project specs revs., dwgs revs, inspections, and most importantly ANY conversation I had regarding an inspection item that included the who, what when, and where. Some of these conversations included some discussions with the engineering firm in which they requested I "slack up" a bit and use "my judgement" on items in which there specifications may have exceeded the code (D1.1) .

It was an exciting inspection job to say the least and quite a learning experience as far as how silly things can get on a project.
Topic Inspection myths and facts? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-25-2016 21:01
It is defined in 3.0 but I have never found it in D1.1 for Visual . Here is a commentary with it referred to but no information. https://app.aws.org/mwf/attachments/40/189140/AWSPorosity.pdf

Aligned rounded indications are addressed for NDE methods .

Gerald
Topic Faying Surface - Separation By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-25-2016 20:49
I was doing 3rd part inspection at a fabricator and flagged a joint that was presented for fitup in which the detail drawing specified a backing strip. There was none. This picture shows what I was presented with after it was "corrected".

[http://www.weldingdata.com/pictures/PA020006.JPG]
Topic Do SWPS still need welder qualification test? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-25-2016 20:44
I searched the online interpretations but didn't know if their book of interpretations included something else. I do like the ASME site for looking up interpretations much better. That and keeping the paragraphs essentially the same over the years as far as what they are.

I just do it by the code myself unless documented otherwise.

Have a good day

Gerald
Topic Do SWPS still need welder qualification test? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-24-2016 14:59
There is ABSOLUTELY no confusion on those two.

The code allows a welder to be "Qualified" by welding a coupon for a PQR. That coupon may very well have joint dimensions that are outside of the "required" ranges for performance testing. However the joint design has no bearing for performance qualification .

Again, you mentions "Tolerances" without specifying what you were speaking of. If tolerances were that important as far as performance qualification joint geometry goes, it is just odd that in the cases when a welder is qualified during the welding of a PQR, there is no concern for the joint dimensions as related to the validity of performance qualification ranges.

I am extremely aware of much of your statements below (You left out B31.3 as far as "other contractor" qualifications).  In all of my previous statements I am completely in the context of D1.1.

I'm good though. Hopefully the thread didn't loose it valus on my wanderings.

Have a good one Al

Gerald
Topic Do SWPS still need welder qualification test? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-24-2016 13:16
Nominal- Yup! 

I agree with the methods you describe for setting up the test and have done a couple that way. 

So if a welder tested on a 60 degree included angle while qualifying a WPS, his WPQR would not be a satisfactory representation of his "meeting the code" ?

I see that it does based upon D1.1. Yet it is outside the nominal dimensions of the applicable test plate figures and definitely outside +/- 5 degrees.

You indicated you knew something about the "tolerances" so it led me to believe you had some inside information on the issue and could maybe provide some insight on the fact that though joint design for performance qualification is rigid (within those sensible tolerances not actually addressed in the code) yet great flexibility is allowed by performance qualification on a PQR/WPS plate in which the joint design could range outside of that for the test plate.

This is not a major issue for me to resolve but for the sake of discussion and based upon your statements I figured it may "enlighten" me.  I too try my best to comply as my integrity is not based upon a industry code or specification.

Thanks for your time and valuable information.

Gerald
Topic Do SWPS still need welder qualification test? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-24-2016 11:34
Please explain. It could just be a statement as simple as "All Welder Performance Qualification Joint Designs shall comply with the nominal dimensions shown in the applicable pre-qualified joint design" and maybe just allow the as-fitup tolerances vs the as detailed and as-fitup.

For the figures "required" by D1.1 used for qualification of welders, there aren't any tolerances which can really be a pain when trying to clarify in your mind what is really allowed or not allowed. What if my gap is 1/64" big at one end and 1/64" small at the other. I couldn't find a general "tolerances" statement. Of course we could get into the "use common sense" idea regarding tolerances but that sometimes doesn't work well with inspection.

A thought on tolerances. If the figures for performance are shown without tolerances to assure that "easier joints" with greater included angles/access aren't used then would a welder who performed welds on a 3G and 4G groove weld for qualifying a WPS and the included angle of the groove was say 60 degrees with a 1/4" root opening on backing, would he somehow be less "qualified" to make production welds then a welder who tested on a required "test plate" ?

So I am not sure why NO tolerances are shown.

One noted thing on "tolerances" . It is odd that the figures for unlimited thickness qualification show a 1" thick plate with no allowance for deviation yet the table for qualified thickness ranges show the use of thicknesses other than 1". 

But you only get so much for $500.00 . Of course if I am not on a committee I am part of the problem and not the solution. Not to mention the fact that I am often prone to overlooking things.

Was the statement you made regarding tolerances something similar to what I stated above or is it more complicated than that?

Gerald
Topic Do SWPS still need welder qualification test? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-23-2016 21:26
That is correct. The WPS must be qualified to use that joint. Not really a fly though, all WPS's must be qualified for the ranges used for performance testing. Even those qualified by testing.

I do often wonder why the figures for the test assemblies don't just refer to the BU2a joints as opposed to having their own "special" figure.
Topic Do SWPS still need welder qualification test? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-23-2016 16:46
The SWPS is a WPS. It can be used for production and testing.
Topic Do SWPS still need welder qualification test? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-23-2016 16:42
This idea is MUCH better!
Topic Do SWPS still need welder qualification test? By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-23-2016 15:18
The SWPS is all that is needed for a WPS for qualification however if the individuals are going to be doing production in accordance with D1.1 then a WPS (or SWPS) that also meets the ranges in production must be used.

The WPS used for the WPQR is just related to the WPQR and has no bearing on the range of qualification. The variables for performance qualification allowed by D1.1 would need recorded.

The contractor or organization performing the welding will need both welders and procedures that meet the requirements of D1.1. The Engineer has the responsibility for acceptance of WPS's however SWPS's are mentioned.

Not really sure if this is what you were asking..

Often times its best to just start a new thread for questions as opposed to tagging something on the end of another. It also makes it less confusing should someone decide to look at this thread later.
Topic 71m and NR232 qualifications By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-22-2016 21:45
For ASME Sec IX it is not an essential variable for performance.
Topic New AWS Member Network Coming Soon! By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-22-2016 16:00
All of t he searchable forum content based on over 10 years of people asking and answering questions would be nice. Otherwise (In my opinion) leave the forum alone and have some people allowed to moderate the junk.

I am by no means as active as some of the other excellent participants but I do feel the content within the forum is extremely valuable. I doubt the software bloat associated with running scripts to a mysql database is not a big burden on ANY server.

I would love to help with the beta testing of any new online forum but again, you would be wasting a tremendous resource should you completely eliminate this forum or the data contained within it. The mysql data could be utilized by other scripts I am pretty sure.

I personally don't need the fluff associated with many social media formats. They are great for some things but exchanging technical information is not one of them.

Hopefully some others will chime in.
Topic Stop the spam!! By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-22-2016 14:03
Just talked to Roque Corona (Digital Content Manager) and he said he would look at deleting the current spam posts. He did indicate the "new" software would keep the old content and also prevent spam better.

Hope so.
Topic AWS Welding Job Opportunities By pipewelder_1999 Date 06-21-2016 18:18
So a welder would work for IMI Logistics and IMI would also be the contractor performing and supervising the work ?